Which Rocna or Mantus M1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been told the weight of your anchor should be the number of feet your boat is plus 10.

Damn, and to think I could have got away with a 70lb Manson Supreme vs the 150lber that the manufacturer recommended. ;)

Last edited:
Damn, and to think I could have got away with a 70lb Manson Supreme vs the 150lber that the manufacturer recommended. ;)

It's similarly odd on the small end: I like big anchors but would not put a 33# anchor on a 23' boat (unless it was a really odd 23-er).

If you can afford a 60’ vessel you can afford. 150# Stainless Steel Rocna and the big ass windlass to lift it. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

It's similarly odd on the small end: I like big anchors but would not put a 33# anchor on a 23' boat (unless it was a really odd 23-er).

But that brings up another issue. At what point do you size up from 5/16” HT chain to a 3/8” chain? My 41 had 5/16 my new to me 45 has 3/8. Is that good or is it over kill?

Pgtug,
I have a Nordic Tug 37 and use the 25kg (55 lb) Rocna Vulcan with G40 5/16 inch chain. More than enough anchor for this boat, and has performed perfectly. I have 250 feet of chain and an additional 150 feet of 5/8 rope for my total rode. We sometimes anchor in close to 100 feet of water on the central BC coast.
So far, the anchor sets first time, and is very reliable.

I like the idea of lightening the load up front where possible, so the G40 5/16 chain would be my choice, but probably not critical (except if the windlass were to fail when in my 100 foot deep anchorage :)).

But that brings up another issue. At what point do you size up from 5/16” HT chain to a 3/8” chain? My 41 had 5/16 my new to me 45 has 3/8. Is that good or is it over kill?

If 3/8" on your new 45 is overkill, I'm in serious trouble. Our new to us 50 footer had 1/2" chain!:eek:

Also, curious if anyone with a SS anchor uses SS chain (very $$$). Standard galvanized chain poses a corrosion issue when attached to a SS anchor/swivel.

Hey b&b I like your pic/avatar

SS is great.
I wonder how much it would cost to chrome plate a steel anchor?
I worked at a plater once and they didn’t do chrome.
Tin was probably the closest thing to chrome by that plater.
Zinc was popular and it probably is cheap. Kind-of a thin galvanize ??
They did a lot of gold colored zinc plating.

Wait, what,,,hasn't anyone used a Supermax anchor? I bought my boat that came with the Supermax 20, (80 lb) as the primary anchor on G4 all chain rode. Have only used the anchor 4 times and it set every time. This thing is a beast! I am not going to toot the horn for this thing as I am sure this isn't the only decent anchor, but I am curious if anyone else has used one of these things, and if not, there must be a reason. My boat has been to Mexico and Alaska prior to my purchase, so this anchor has seen some use.

Z,
Never heard anything bad about the Max.
All anchors are sensitive to certain bottom features like weed, rocks or slimy mud.
I wish the Max had been in the Chesapeake Bay mud anchor test. At the time the Rockna was considered to be the highest performing anchor available .. but it sorta fell on it’s face. Getting in the big comprehensive anchor tests is a gamble for manufacturers and distributors. Things can go wrong and I don’t fault the Max for not getting into the tests. I say that however not knowing that Max has or hasn’t tried to get in anchor tests.

One of my favorite anchors has been around for quite a few years and they have largely avoided the tests. The sea floor is clearly the biggest variable and test organizers usually choose where it is to be held.

Everybody I’ve talked to that has used the Max has good things to say about it. And if there is a weak spot it must be very small.

Here is an old Practical Sailor test. Dated but PS tests are usually fairly good.

Attachments

• PracticalSailor-April06 copy 2-9.pdf
    698.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
These are both excellent anchors. As mentioned in this threads first life last fall, Steve Goodwin in SV Panope in PNW does extensive comparison testing. He has become the industry expert.

Whichever fits best in your anchor roller is best. As Nomad Willy said, differences are slight compared to the quantum leap forward the new generation anchors are compared to prior designs such as Delta and Bruce.

I went with a Vulcan. I may put a mantus as secondary because I can disassemble for storage on my small boat. Will also like at a fortress for same reason

Peter

Wait, what,,,hasn't anyone used a Supermax anchor? I bought my boat that came with the Supermax 20, (80 lb) as the primary anchor on G4 all chain rode. Have only used the anchor 4 times and it set every time. This thing is a beast! I am not going to toot the horn for this thing as I am sure this isn't the only decent anchor, but I am curious if anyone else has used one of these things, and if not, there must be a reason. My boat has been to Mexico and Alaska prior to my purchase, so this anchor has seen some use.

Yes, I used the adjustable SuperMAX for years here in the Chesapeake mud. Worked great. The new company owner posts here from time to time...

Z,
Never heard anything bad about the Max.
All anchors are sensitive to certain bottom features like weed, rocks or slimy mud.
I wish the Max had been in the Chesapeake Bay mud anchor test. At the time the Rockna was considered to be the highest performing anchor available .. but it sorta fell on it’s face. Getting in the big comprehensive anchor tests is a gamble for manufacturers and distributors. Things can go wrong and I don’t fault the Max for not getting into the tests. I say that however not knowing that Max has or hasn’t tried to get in anchor tests.

I tried to encourage that too, even offered my own anchor for their tests. Brian declined, but said much of the reason was that there was some question at the time whether the MAX line would remain viable. The original owner was elderly (I guess?) and a continuity strategy wasn't on the horizon...

It's odd that PS called the pivoting version a scoop plow, and the rigid version a plow. In both cases, I'd have said scoop. Sorta like the bucket on a backhoe.

-Chris

Last edited:
I like to gain better understandings of all things boating. In terms of the weight of your anchor relative to your desire to lessen upfront weight, I am having a hard time seeing that 20 lbs more or less on your boat could make a discernible difference one way or another.
Pgtug,
I have a Nordic Tug 37 and use the 25kg (55 lb) Rocna Vulcan with G40 5/16 inch chain. More than enough anchor for this boat, and has performed perfectly. I have 250 feet of chain and an additional 150 feet of 5/8 rope for my total rode. We sometimes anchor in close to 100 feet of water on the central BC coast.

I like the idea of lightening the load up front where possible, so the G40 5/16 chain would be my choice, but probably not critical (except if the windlass were to fail when in my 100 foot deep anchorage :)).

Pgtug,

Just my opinion, and we all have them, the chain is the easiest way to lighten the load. Many people love a chain rode. I favor a chain/nylon like you have but with less chain. 50' chain and the rest nylon should work fine. Since you anchor in some deep water, you'll need more rope than you currently have.

Again I agree w B&B,
Put enough of it out even nylon line gets heavy.
I anchored in 85’ of water once and did indeed notice my 5/8ths Brait did get heavy. This was before I bought the capstan.

. In my travels see about 10 Rocna per 1 Mantus on the bows of both sail and power. You will most likelihood never take an anchor apart. There’s little or no real world reason to do so

I love universal blanket statements, invariably they are wrong for one reason or another. I have a Rocna 15 on my boat at the bow. But I don't have a large boat and with my refit and lots of goodies in the bilge area that didn't exist before, limited space. I want an anchor that can serve as a stern anchor and/or an emergency anchor, or replacement if I have to cut my anchor gear due to not being able to retrieve it, I had to do that once before decades ago.

So an anchor that will fit is an anchor in bits and pieces. I looked seriously at the Mantus but it seems to fiddly to me putting it together. I would leave it in pieces until needed. That gloppy grease on the bolts strike me as something that would be a problem, maybe ten years down the line.

I'm not a Danforth or Fortress fan, fluked anchors don't do well in weeds, but I will probably get a Fortress and leave it in parts until needed.

48 wrote;
“ fluked anchors don't do well in weeds”
Do you know any anchor that does???

48 wrote;

Sharp point and lots of weight behind it to force the tip through the weeds is the best bet.

48 wrote;

My ultra does well in grass. Guessing a similar design like a vulcan or spade would as well but I have no experience with them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom