Old 03-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Well...right after all the word wizards figure out what a trawler is...you can compare male appendages to figure out what remote means.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I like a beautiful secluded anchorage all to myself. Not sure I need the "Boldly go where no man has gone before" challenge. Guess I temper my thirst for adventure with late middle age.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
No secluded coves on the river but plenty of sloughs, sandbars and islands to throw out a anchor. I like to anchor in areas where I can see the channel and watch the tows go by or shallows area near sandbars to wade around and swim. Some of the sandbars will have dozens boats around them on weekends others will be deserted. In the sloughs the occasional fishermen is about all you ever see, to find these places you need 3 things. #1 is local knowledge, everyone knows the popular sandbars. #2 paper charts for finding areas that are possible to get in with a large boat. #3 is a small boat with a good depth finder to scout it out before taking the cruiser in, I've ruined a lot of props on the 17' cc going places I shouldn't of and none on the 38'.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 03-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
MB-there are no "remote" anchorages on the East Coast, From Mass south, "remote" means a more than 10 minute walk to the nearest bar!
That's not really true and I suspect you know that. If I can't see or hear any boats or vehicles and can't see any structures or towers, that's "remote" enough for me.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I like a beautiful secluded anchorage all to myself. Not sure I need the "Boldly go where no man has gone before" challenge. Guess I temper my thirst for adventure with late middle age.
Ted's post is one of those where I think "That is exactly how I think about it but could not articulate"

I prefer to anchor in spots where we are secluded, but I don't need remote. I even like our Yacht Club outstations in the winter when we are often the only boat at the dock. If another boat is at the dock when we arrive, I am just as apt to go anchor out and forgo the shore power in exchange for quiet and privacy.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #26
Guru

A treat for me is to meet other boaters who share a lot of the same boating info that I can relate too.

So if it be at a dock, a bar, a yacht club, or even a distant but not necessarily remote anchorage...so be it.

I do like anchorages to myself sometimes...but as long as the other boats are far enough away that they or I can run gensets or play music or sit in the cockpit and whoop it up...then that's OK with me to.

Having another boat in an anchorage just might be a lifesaver at some point...as long as there is harmony...it doesn't have to be some "dreamlike" existence.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A treat for me is to meet other boaters who share a lot of the same boating info that I can relate too.

So if it be at a dock, a bar, a yacht club, or even a distant but not necessarily remote anchorage...so be it.
Same here. We met folks on a cruise a couple years ago and hop scotched them up the coast.

Sometimes we'll meet people at a marina who have a vehicle and catch a ride to the grocery store or marine store.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Ted
LOL! Sometimes when there are no boats in that little cove you just discovered, there's a darn good reason!

I have found a couple near perfect anchorages in a local fishing slough that allow me to have the place to myself. No boat traffic, no homes in the area, no train or highway noises...an occasional Air Force transport or tanker into Travis AFB....plenty of nature.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #29
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Well it is all relative. Anchored at Mistake Island, which many consider out there, I could see Jonesport. Even down east there is no place that is even a day from marine services. There are no marinas east of Mount Desert Island.

Mistake Island. Sounds like what usually happens to me when I anchor. 😄
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #30
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Remote for us is being anchored for two or three days and never seeing another boat or any sign of human habitation. Best ones so far were at the top end of Kitkatla Inlet on Porcher Island, and the southernmost basin in Betteridge Inlet on Campania Island.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Remote for us is being anchored for two or three days and never seeing another boat or any sign of human habitation. Best ones so far were at the top end of Kitkatla Inlet on Porcher Island, and the southernmost basin in Betteridge Inlet on Campania Island.
Wifey B: Sounds a lot like desolate. Just teasing. It's whatever one enjoys. I'd be fine in that level of remoteness for about 24 hours.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #32
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
An isolated anchorage with 13 other boats there? My goodness, I don't have 13 people that live within a mile of me.

Every anchorage I stay in is remote. Generally 50 NM or more to the nearest marina.

Here in Alaska we rarely will stay in an anchorage where another boat is. There are just so many georgous places to set the hook for the night and so few other boaters that we almost never have to share.

Our area is so remote that google earth doesn't even have close up imagery.
Long bay or hidden bay? Northwest PWS
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
if your experiences are limited to one area of the planet then I guess you only have one set of criteria for remote.

Is there really any other set of criteria other than western BC and Alaska!!
Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #34
Guru

Just a few teasers. This is Prince William Sound (PWS) a few years back in middle of April......
Attached Thumbnails
A nice day on PWS 4-28-2007.jpg   Chugach Range PWS 4-29-2007.jpg  
Old 03-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #35
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. "Is there really any other set of criteria other than western BC and Alaska!!" I can appreciate the beauty of the area but I strongly suspect western BC and Alaska are NOT the center of everyone's the boating universe. Scandinavia, Northeastern Canada, Australia and New Zealand to name but a few, ALL have comparable cruising grounds I'm quite sure.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Madagascar and Brazil, sharing with the locals but still pretty remote IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
b-4.jpg   Brazil 073.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Is there really any other set of criteria other than western BC and Alaska!!
Are you proving my point for me?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #38
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Remote

Pretty Girl cove eating oysters, cold lake Alberta, gulf islands, desolation sound, west coast Vancouver Island, Pitt lake, gulf island.

For me this is freedom. Lots of stuff we can't do, but a trawler.? Smell the roses., enjoy your freedom that scenes of remote, disconnect.

IMO. Kinda

Best
Of
All
Therapy
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. "Is there really any other set of criteria other than western BC and Alaska!!" I can appreciate the beauty of the area but I strongly suspect western BC and Alaska are NOT the center of everyone's the boating universe. Scandinavia, Northeastern Canada, Australia and New Zealand to name but a few, ALL have comparable cruising grounds I'm quite sure.
Well RT there are very beautiful places throughout the world and some maybe remote, but BC and Alaska, the pearl gem of remote cruising!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #40
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Lot's of remote anchorages in the Bahamas. And you can actually swim there and catch a fish that pulls harder than a sodden tube sock. Reefs and palm trees are good things.

Also, some really nice remote areas in the big bend and eastern panhandle of Florida.

Second the opinion on the 10,000 islands as well.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote