Recommended time to replace 3-strand nylon on anchor rode?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
Purchased boat with what I believe is original anchor rode (50' chain and 200' 3-strand nylon) from 2003. Looking to replace unless I can be convinced it's not necessary. 3-strand looks to be in good overall condition with only some very minor areas of chafe. It's still fairly soft and flexible with only very minor fraying of some of the fibers. Chain looks good, no rust, except for the last link at the splice to the rope.

I am of the opinion to replace the whole setup anyway seeing as it's been 17 years and why risk it. No?

Purchased boat with what I believe is original anchor rode (50' chain and 200' 3-strand nylon) from 2003. Looking to replace unless I can be convinced it's not necessary. 3-strand looks to be in good overall condition with only some very minor areas of chafe. It's still fairly soft and flexible with only very minor fraying of some of the fibers. Chain looks good, no rust, except for the last link at the splice to the rope.

I am of the opinion to replace the whole setup anyway seeing as it's been 17 years and why risk it. No?
Why not reverse the nylon rode, cut off a questionable link or two and splice it back together. An opportunity to learn a chain splice if you aren't familiar.
Cut off aue e of nylon and the ladt link for reference, Practice with a scrap piece of nylon, even if it takes a second attempt to meet your critique what's to lose??
I've done 3 strand but last year "tackled" 8 plait to chain and it took 2 attempts to look decent. Lots of good videos & animations online.

Definitely an option, but I just don't know "how long is too long." I understand it's probably more of a function as to the actual physical condition of the rope. Like I said, there is minimal actual "damage," but there is some discoloration and of course the splice to the chain is suspect and needs attention regardless. But in general, how much more life can I expect out of 17 year old 3-strand?

Why not reverse the nylon rode, cut off a questionable link or two and splice it back together. An opportunity to learn a chain splice if you aren't familiar.
Cut off aue e of nylon and the ladt link for reference, Practice with a scrap piece of nylon, even if it takes a second attempt to meet your critique what's to lose??
I've done 3 strand but last year "tackled" 8 plait to chain and it took 2 attempts to look decent. Lots of good videos & animations online.

I agree. If the nylon is soft and pliable without any major chaffing then reverse it and redo the solice.

Dock lines get chafed and abused , so the old anchor line will still be useful, before it becomes baggy wrinkle.

Nylon rope supposedly has a 10 year shelf life. I personally think that's an overly cautious rule. The chain only needs to be replaced if it's failing. If the galvanizing is still good, there's no reason to change it.

IMO, if the nylon is still soft, I'd keep using it. As others have stated, flipping it end for end it is a good idea to extend the life of the rope. Rope to chain splices on three strand are incredibly easy to learn and execute.

Greetings,
Mr. jh. What the others have said BUT you have the wrong anchor...

200.webp

Definitely an option, but I just don't know "how long is too long." I understand it's probably more of a function as to the actual physical condition of the rope. Like I said, there is minimal actual "damage," but there is some discoloration and of course the splice to the chain is suspect and needs attention regardless. But in general, how much more life can I expect out of 17 year old 3-strand?
I would consider a careful inspection as if you had no idea of its age. If it had that many years of sun exposure maybe but I doubt a rode sees UV for roughly 1-5% of its life unless it is stored on deck or coiled and hung from a rail... its either in the locker or under water with a very short random section above the water.
If soft and plyable I would consider that a significant indicator of its use and care.

Last edited:
I don't recall talking about my anchor, so curious to understand what you are talking about.

Greetings,
Mr. jh. What the others have said BUT you have the wrong anchor...

200.webp

After 20 (+-) years my galvanized chain was leaving so much rust behind that I replaced it. My boat is now 40, and that galvanized chain is still good. The 200' of nylon behind the chain is now 40 yrs old and still looks the same as when I bought the boat 26 yrs ago.
In your case, I would inspect the line carefully and if it looks bad, get rid of it. If it looks good, you likely have lots of life left.
Remember, the line lives in the dark the vast majority of its life. Avoiding UV degradation is the key to long life.

I don't recall talking about my anchor, so curious to understand what you are talking about.

OHHHH - You're really in for it now! Talk about opening up a can of worms!!

:hide: :dance:

I ended up just replacing it all. I had uses for the old chain and rope on our property anyway. Not worth worrying about at 3AM while at anchor.

Mr. jh:

Discussions about appropriate anchors are a long-running discussion/joke here on TF. I hope you were not offended by Mr. RT's tongue-in-cheek response. He is a TF treasure, without which we might all descend into taking ourselves too seriously.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Mr. jh:

Discussions about appropriate anchors are a long-running discussion/joke here on TF. I hope you were not offended by Mr. RT's tongue-in-cheek response. He is a TF treasure, without which we might all descend into taking ourselves too seriously.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Not!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom