Reality check on chain size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am pretty sure I know what your anchoring theories are ....but just happen to strongly disagree with just about all of them.

As I ave posted before, if one starts with bad assumptions, theories fall apart quickly.

The most basic one..... it is better to use chain only near the anchor or use exceptionally large chain near the anchor. Well for maybe a teeny, tiny bit of better holding, a cruiser with all chain and a good windlass is going to struggle with Frankenstein ground tackle? I think not.

Last edited:
Taking anchors in a small boat

If you expect to have to take out a second anchor in a dinghy to back up your primary anchor consider adding 50 feet of line between the anchor and anchor chain. it is much easier to handle in a small boat and will not damage the dinghy gunwale as you let out the anchor.

If you expect to have to take out a second anchor in a dinghy to back up your primary anchor consider adding 50 feet of line between the anchor and anchor chain. it is much easier to handle in a small boat and will not damage the dinghy gunwale as you let out the anchor.

Thanks for this input. I’m thinking of getting a Fortress anchor as our second. I’m also planning to build a wood dinghy, so not tearing it up with chain sounds like a good idea!

FWIW, we purchased a 15kg (33lb) Rocna Vulcan. According to the Rocna fitment guide our boat falls between two sizes. So I went with the larger of the two, which fits our bow roller and pulpit perfectly. I would not want to have gone any larger for fitment reasons.

Thanks for this input. I’m thinking of getting a Fortress anchor as our second. I’m also planning to build a wood dinghy, so not tearing it up with chain sounds like a good idea!

Depending on bottom conditions... Fortress is a really good anchor; adjustable shank-to-fluke angle for mud/sand setting-assistance. Works great in mud, such as what we most often anchor in.

Can't beat the light weight as an ease-of handling factor. We use an FX-23 for back anchor. FX-16 is listed as Fortress size for our 34' boat [my rule of thumb is to purchase one size bigger for an anchor]. The FX-23 would do well as front anchor too.

AN anchor to rationalize the boats location in a tidal river need not be dink launched.

We use a 20H Danforth, 5ft of white coated chain and simply drop it from the stern , walk to the bow with the coil of 7/16 line held outboard, pull to feel the anchor set , toss off an extra 50 Ft of line or so and tie off at the bow.

In the AM the boat will usually be facing as it was when anchored so the 7/16 is brought to the stern and a simple pull (as you are over the anchor) will bring it aboard.

No effort , 5 min of time, hasn't failed yet.

Last edited:
And if you want the second anchor attached at the stern, rather than led to the bow, there's another option. Set the primary, then drop an extra 100 feet of rode. Drop the stern anchor off the stern, then move forward, taking up the extra primary rode and letting out the stern anchor rode, then set the stern anchor.

I have had even tiny, stern anchors set so deep on power vessels, due to the current push on their sterns, that retrieving them was nearly impossible unless the mother vessel can be maneuvered right over top of them.

Not saying don't use a stern anchor, just be aware of the forces involved.

I have had even tiny, stern anchors set so deep on power vessels, due to the current push on their sterns, that retrieving them was nearly impossible unless the mother vessel can be maneuvered right over top of them.

Not saying don't use a stern anchor, just be aware of the forces involved.

Boy... is that ever correct!

When using bow and stern anchor simultaneously... I normally pull the bow anchor first. Then by either pulling boat back to stern by hand or backing by engine [having a person retrieve the line as backing progresses] I get back anchor line straight down off a transom corner. Then... fastening the line, I pull anchor by gradually moving forward.

AN anchor to rationalize the boats location in a tidal river need not be dink launched.

We use a 20H Danforth, 5ft of white coated chain and simply drop it from the stern , walk to the bow with the coil of 7/16 line held outboard, pull to feel the anchor set , toss off an extra 50 Ft of line or so and tie off at the bow.

In the AM the boat will usually be facing as it was when anchored so the 7/16 is brought to the stern and a simple pull (as you are over the anchor) will bring it aboard.

No effort , 5 min of time, hasn't failed yet.

Why the white coated chain?

Back
Top Bottom