Re-galvanizing anchor chain <Vancouver, BC>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemier

Vessel Name
INFINITY ∞
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 62
Hi Guys,
Can anyone provide a telephone number or a web-link to a company that will re-galvanize our anchor chain, near Vancouver, BC?

Scott Galvanizing in Ballard (seattle). Close to the north end of the Ballard Bridge.

I looked into it before. It cost about as much as new as the old chain has to be shipped, cleaned before galvonizing and shipped back. I decide to buy new chian for the first 100 ft to be connect to the old chain that would give us 300 ft of chain, and 200 ft of rope.

Anyway let us know what you decided and the cost?

I decide to buy new chian for the first 100 ft to be connect to the old chain that would give us 300 ft of chain, and 200 ft of rope.

How did you splice the chains?

I've got 150 feet of new galvanized chain that I'd like to add but I'm not sure what to use for a joiner.

How did you splice the chains?

I've got 150 feet of new galvanized chain that I'd like to add but I'm not sure what to use for a joiner.

They make connecting links where chian is sold. Make sure the link as the same maximum working load equal as the chain.

Attachments

• Chain Link Connector copy.jpg
    Chain Link Connector copy.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,412
SeaHorse II said:
It did on my Ocean Alex 42.
I don't like the idea of a break in my chain. I am sure it is approved for the strength of the chain, but I wake up at night and think about these things when the boat goes bump in the night.

I might do that next time I think the chain is past its best. I end for ended it last summer, but the idea of getting a greater length if needed by just adding new is quite a good one, as I only have about 40 metres, (about 140 ft) of chain, although have never needed to put it all out where we cruise.
However, I have thought of another good reason to do it. I noticed when I did the swap around, several of the (otherwise new and never-seen-the-light-of-day links were too rusty to trust, so chopped that last couple of metres off. That was because that was the part of the chain which had been sitting in the puddle of salty water a lot obviously. So if one has one's new chain sitting atop this, then that should not happen, as it would drain and dry better. Of course if able to give it a fresh water flush after a trip out as well - all the better.

I too want to add to my chain rode. Thought about using the connectors suggested but I can't get anyone to assure me the connector will go through the gypsy on my Lewmar profish 1000. The gypsy takes 5/16 HT chain. Has anyone tried cutting a link and welding it back together?

Has anyone tried cutting a link and welding it back together?

I had the same concern about the gypsy handling the "link" and actually went to a welder for advice. He would not guarantee that the weld would be as strong as the parent chain so I bought 2- 3 foot lengths of 3/8 and joined them together with the "link". Ran them through the windlass (gypsy) and everything was fine. I didn't have to haul all that chain to the weld shop and it was a relatively cheap way to prove out the link. (It's assumed, as was previously posted, that the breaking strength of the "link" is at least as strong as the chain.)

I have a riveted link on my 5/16' chain which splices 2 pieces together, and it has worked just fine with my Maxwell Nilsson windlass for the last 10 years or so. The link is the same size as the rest of the chain. I also wonder if the splice will last as long as the rest of the chain, therefore I am replacing the existing link with a new one to make sure the rivets are not rusted out.

Too late I'm sure:

Silver City

They are in Delta.
I talked to Canron a number of years ago and my chain, quite rusty, would have required enough sandblasting that it was not economical.

Talk to them as I know several people who have taken their chains to Silver City and were happy enough.

Good Luck

Hi C lectric,
I called Silver City and had it all lined up,,,then I thought I should actually pull all the chain out and check it. An arduous task at best...
Turns out it's actually OK : ) I used a product called "Blue Steel" on the first and last few meters, and we're good to go!
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom