Old 01-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: TUGAWAY
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Re-Galvanize Spade Anchor

Hi all.

I am very happy with the performance of our Spade S120 steel anchor: Quick to set and no dragging after many nights out in all sorts of weather.

But, the galvanizing is not great and now after 3 ½ years and probably >150 sets, I have many areas of bare steel that rusts over very readily. It’s mostly a cosmetic issue but I don’t like to see the rust.

I’ve tried cold galvanizing spray paint but it’s not at all durable & scuffs off very quickly.

Has anyone on this forum had experience with re-galvanizing their Spade anchor? I understand that the lead in the tip has to be melted out & replaced after the galvanizing or else the anchor becomes useless.

Any thoughts or accounts of your own experience with the Spade appreciated.

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I too have had poor luck with spray on galvanizing.

Next step try liquid galvanizing painted on.

There is supposedly a cold galvanizing primer that gives better adhesion...can find the name right now.

Last try will be a zinc based primer...but not necessarily cold galvanizing unless the pint on is better than the spray and a whole anchor coating of a hard epoxy paint.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I too have had poor luck with spray on galvanizing.

Next step try liquid galvanizing painted on.

There is supposedly a cold galvanizing primer that gives better adhesion...can find the name right now.

Last try will be a zinc based primer...but not necessarily cold galvanizing unless the pint on is better than the spray and a whole anchor coating of a hard epoxy paint.
Thanks.

I've wondered whether stripping off all loose coating and priming followed by painting with a 2 part Epoxy might be a better long-term solution...

-evan
Old 01-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Maybe Eric on Nomad Willy will chime in on this, but if the above solutions don't pan out for you, Seattle Galvanizing is a hot-dip operation. They are now in Mt Vernon WA.
Www.seattlegalvanizing.com. I've used them before, years ago on a boat trailer which turned out well and wasn't terribly expensive.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
There are articles floating around the internet discussing the pros and cons of re-hot dip Galvanizing....

I remember one saying to get the anchor hot enough, you loose too much strength in critical parts...now how this is different than original manufacture I don't know.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
I can't imagine any paint resisting the abrasion an anchor is subjected to for very long. Seattle Galvanizing minimum charge is $150. Not sure that would include dealing with the lead. Add shipping to that. Not sure I would put $200 +/- in a $500 anchor knowing it would likely look the same as it does now in another 150 sets. I am pretty anal but not that anal.
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Try contacting the anchor maker and see if they will help. I am aware of one well-known anchor maker replacing an anchor that had worn out plating.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Could it be "chromed"?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Sarca builds both Super Sarca and Excel in gal and 316 stainless, and the Excel in alloy as well. I thought ss was just for "bling" but maybe not. I`ve heard of issues about stainless underwater, nothing is simple, but it would avoid the rust problem.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #10

City: myrtle beach
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
In case you missed it over at Cruiser's Forum....

Have you contacted Spade directly? From my experience they have awesome customer service. I bent the shank on my 120, totally my fault and they sent me a new anchor. All I had to do was send the old one back. I'd give them a call...
Sidclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
You can buy a zinc stick that is melted with a torch at most welding supply stores. 1 foot of 1/8" zinc wire is about $8 on Amazon. Zinc melts at under 800°F. It helps to grind or sand the areas first and preheat the metal. A rough surface bonds better. Wire brush hard to get spaces. You can use a hobby propane torch. MAPP gas works a little better (hotter-faster). Or oxy-act.
You get the metal hot and melt the zinc into the existing coating and cover the bare spot. Slow melting of the zinc rod leaves a thicker coat.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Maybe Eric on Nomad Willy will chime in on this, but if the above solutions don't pan out for you, Seattle Galvanizing is a hot-dip operation. They are now in Mt Vernon WA.
Www.seattlegalvanizing.com. I've used them before, years ago on a boat trailer which turned out well and wasn't terribly expensive.
Thanks Ken,
I would take it to Seattle and Scott Galvanizing. Just off 15th ave NW and just west of the Ballard Bridge. On Leary Way I think.
When I worked at Everett Engineering (Everett) we always went to Scott G. For hot dip galvanizing.
You could get a new and similar but much better Excel anchor and subtract the cost of galvanizing from the price. Ground Tackle Marine in Sidney BC.
If Seattle Galvanizing is in Mt. Vernon I’m real close and may be able to help w logistics. I’ll PM you my ph#.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Thanks Ken,
I would take it to Seattle and Scott Galvanizing. Just off 15th ave NW and just west of the Ballard Bridge. On Leary Way I think.
When I worked at Everett Engineering (Everett) we always went to Scott G. For hot dip galvanizing.
You could get a new and similar but much better Excel anchor and subtract the cost of galvanizing from the price. Ground Tackle Marine in Sidney BC.
If Seattle Galvanizing is in Mt. Vernon I’m real close and may be able to help w logistics. I’ll PM you my ph#.
Eric/Ken, Scott Galvanizing has moved out of Ballard to Arlington, WA and is now known as Seattle Galvanizing.

I just had several lengths of chain re-galvanized by Emerald Galvanizing in West Fremont, they have a centrifuge that works with chain. Seattle Galvanizing doesn't do chain anymore, but they will probably do an anchor.

Jay
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
See post #41 here.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...s-42629-3.html
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:17 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for your input.

There is a lot of interesting and useful feedback here.

I appreciate the contacts in Washington State for galvanizing outfits but we do have some galvanizing businesses closer by on this side of the border that I could check out.

I'm concerned though that the lead in the tip would require special treatment for hot dip galvanizing and wondered if anyone on the forum has gone that route and been happy with their results?

When I last contacted the Spade rep, he was going to send me their repainting kit but then a few months later was told they no longer provide these kits as the results were not satisfactory. I should maybe reconnect with them and ask their advice...

-evan
Old 01-06-2020, 11:06 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I recall using Galvafroid, a cold galvanizing paint,but it was on rally cars, not anchors.
There are paints like POR used for converting rusty surfaces to a hard finish which excludes air and fixes rust. Could be an epoxy as touched on above. Might be worth researching to discover wear characteristics.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #17
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
On the Spade you can remove the shank and just have the fluke done. That should mitigate any concerns about heating the shank. The lead is in the fluke, so it still has to be dealt with.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #18
Guru

I investigated getting an anchor re galvanized in the Ct area a few years ago. It was cost prohibitive because they required a minimum weight batch. They would not mx with another small batch (I think the min was 700 pounds).
I just re-paint mine every few years either with zinc or silver rustoleum.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
eheffa,
You could call Chris at Ground Tackle Marine 250 516 7888.
I’m sure he knows where all the local galvanizers are.
He’s right down the street from you.

But the heat may be too much for the lead.

You could try some POR-15. I’ve used it 5-6 times but don’t recall using it in an abrasive enviro. If you get it pay close attention to the instructions for re-sealing the can.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
eheffa,
You could call Chris at Ground Tackle Marine 250 516 7888.
I’m sure he knows where all the local galvanizers are.
He’s right down the street from you.
Thanks very much Eric.

I will do that.

much obliged...

Tags
galvanizing, rust management, spade anchor