Old 01-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
You can buy a zinc stick that is melted with a torch at most welding supply stores. 1 foot of 1/8" zinc wire is about $8 on Amazon. Zinc melts at under 800įF. It helps to grind or sand the areas first and preheat the metal. A rough surface bonds better. Wire brush hard to get spaces. You can use a hobby propane torch. MAPP gas works a little better (hotter-faster). Or oxy-act.
You get the metal hot and melt the zinc into the existing coating and cover the bare spot. Slow melting of the zinc rod leaves a thicker coat.
Are you kidding or serious?
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Very good ideas.

BTW, although paint (even 2-part epoxy) wears off, I liked painting my anchor because it helped to shed nasty mud nice and easily. Plus it looked cooler than galvanized.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-148
Quote:
You can buy a zinc stick that is melted with a torch at most welding supply stores. 1 foot of 1/8" zinc wire is about $8 on Amazon. Zinc melts at under 800įF. It helps to grind or sand the areas first and preheat the metal. A rough surface bonds better. Wire brush hard to get spaces. You can use a hobby propane torch. MAPP gas works a little better (hotter-faster). Or oxy-act.
You get the metal hot and melt the zinc into the existing coating and cover the bare spot. Slow melting of the zinc rod leaves a thicker coat.
The more I look into this idea, the better I like the it as many of the most glaring areas of rust are due to nicks and gouges where spot treatment might just do the trick. Being able to lay down some Zinc on these areas and restore the protection might be a good solution.

Thanks for the suggestion.
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
eheffa,
You could call Chris at Ground Tackle Marine 250 516 7888.
Iím sure he knows where all the local galvanizers are.
Heís right down the street from you.

But the heat may be too much for the lead.

You could try some POR-15. Iíve used it 5-6 times but donít recall using it in an abrasive enviro. If you get it pay close attention to the instructions for re-sealing the can.
I had a very enlightening and interesting conversation with Chris. Thank you for the suggestion.

He suggested I contact Spade & so have an email out to them to see what they suggest.

-evan
Old 01-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #25
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Are you kidding or serious?
Touching up galvanized gear with new zinc has been going on since torches were invented. I've been doing it since the 1960s.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Touching up galvanized gear with new zinc has been going on since torches were invented. I've been doing it since the 1960s.
I've looked on Amazon & all I see are aluminum / Zinc Rods. Do you have a link to the pure Zinc or are these the ones you recommend?

https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Demon-BDT...86&s=hi&sr=1-5

-evan
Old 01-07-2020, 09:20 PM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:

If it isn't written about in a recent boating magazine by some prolific writer or addressed by ABYC....it doesn't exist to most boaters.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Anybody powder coated their anchor?
In the past there was a time when powder coating propellers was somewhat popular. Powder Coaters came to the boat shows but obviously PC props faded out.
But for anchors that have low temp stuff like lead PC would not be an option. 400f is just too hot.
I’ve modified anchors w J-B Weld applied in places so galvanizing or PC is no option for them either.

But the vast majority of anchors are 100% steel.
Any anchor coating would need very good adhesion and abrasion resistance. I think PC would be viable and perhaps POR-15. Anybody done it ... either?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #29
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I'd think POR or other epoxy or paint would make sense, as it could be touched up easily or have extra coats added to keep up with wear. Powder coat doesn't have that luxury.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #30
Guru

rslifkin,
Could you be more detailed about powder coating shortcomings?

Old 01-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #31
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
rslifkin,
Could you be more detailed about powder coating shortcomings?
I'd expect it to work well until it wears enough to need a new coat. But unlike paint, you can't just touch it up or add a coat every few months to stay ahead of wear. So it might not end up with much advantage in the long run depending on cost of coating.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:42 AM   #32
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I investigated getting an anchor re galvanized in the Ct area a few years ago. It was cost prohibitive because they required a minimum weight batch. They would not mx with another small batch (I think the min was 700 pounds).
I just re-paint mine every few years either with zinc or silver rustoleum.
Get your chain done as well

Paint would wear off in a week for us.

Our chain and anchor rust if out of the water for 24 hours, but as soon as its all back in the sand it all comes up shiney again.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:47 AM   #33
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
I've looked on Amazon & all I see are aluminum / Zinc Rods. Do you have a link to the pure Zinc or are these the ones you recommend?

https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Demon-BDT...86&s=hi&sr=1-5

-evan
Here: https://www.amazon.com/Zinc-Extruded...8552308&sr=8-4
Attached Thumbnails
zinc wire.jpg  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks Lepke,

I see that Rotometals also sells these RE-Galv rods.
https://www.rotometals.com/regalv-ga...-repair-stick/

Even if one had the anchor re-galvanized it would likely still suffer gouges and damage to the surface and your method makes more sense than repainting the whole anchor. Your method would allow repair of the deeper and worst rust points on an intermittent as needed basis.

-evan
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Quote:
The part I question is your ability to heat the anchor hot enough to melt the zinc with propane. Sounds alot like you are repeating internet BS to me. Maybe you have a video or two to support your position. I love places like this... One's ability to type somehow makes them an expert.
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
The part I question is your ability to heat the anchor hot enough to melt the zinc with propane. Sounds alot like you are repeating internet BS to me. Maybe you have a video or two to support your position. I love places like this... One's ability to type somehow makes them an expert.
More criticism by this member directed at a fellow member. Not mere disagreement with another member but nastiness and a belief in self superiority woven in. Very disappointing.
You should know TF has an over arching "Be Nice" Rule. If you can observe that you will be much more welcome. It may be hope over experience but I hope you can.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #37
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
GH41,

Just because you don't understand or can't comprehend that zinc has a low melting point, doesn't make it untrue.

You can melt the zinc out of a penny with needle nose pliers and a regular gas stove.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #38
Guru

I like your post Bruce.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:09 AM   #39
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Quote:
The part I question is your ability to heat the anchor hot enough to melt the zinc with propane.

Propane and oxygen are used to cut and melt steel, although Iíve only used acetylene. So I assume you would use these in a stick welder, not with a Home Depot propane brazer.

BTW, Iíve always found Lepkeís comment and advice valuable. The guy know his sht, especially when it comes to those lovely ole Jimmies
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #40
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
GH41,

Just because you don't understand or can't comprehend that zinc has a low melting point, doesn't make it untrue.

You can melt the zinc out of a penny with needle nose pliers and a regular gas stove.
Zinc has a low melting point
So does solder.

You can melt solder onto wires but it won't stick to the wires unless the wire's are at the proper temp
I suspect that the anchor may need to be at a certain temp before zinc sticks effectively.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galvanizing, rust management, spade anchor