Is this a quality swivel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbevins

Guru
Vessel Name
Keeper IV
Vessel Make
44 Viking ACMY
My brother in law has this swivel as an extra and what's to donate it to my anchor. Should I take it?
I should add its for the Viking loa 48' and 44K#

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150604_214537.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150604_214537.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 161
  • ForumRunner_20150604_214553.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150604_214553.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 157
No you don't need a weak point on your rode.

I don't have a rode Oliver, I have a chain, 270 ft of it.

Fancy and fun.. but I agree with above. It's still something ELSE to maintain and check.

I wouldnt think it would fail. Looks pretty beefy. But your hook is your lifeline when away from dock.

Whoops. That's what I meant, sorry. But like I said it'll be the weak link. Use oversized shackles.

Very very dangerous. Send it to me for disposal :)

No you don't need a weak point on your rode.

I tend to agree.

We have an all chain rode and use the largest shackle we could to attach it to the anchor.

The safe working load of 5/16 HT chain is 3900 lbs. Grade 70 transport is 4700, grade 80 alloy is 4300. The SWL from the photo is 2000 kg. which is 4410 lbs. So you wouldn't be giving up much if anything. Why do you need a swivel? I don't have one and haven't missed it. What am I missing?

I want to clarify. I do NOT think it frivolous or wasteful. Just not needed. Definitely spiffy looking. Will it be a weak kink? Not in my head. Risk or damger using it? No more than anything else.
I do however just feel it is one more thing to check and maintain. Perhaps I should of bit my tongue before being lippy. My apologies if I took liberties.

It's nice bow bling, but it does not help your anchoring or make you safer so why bother?

IMO, when it comes to ground tackle and many other areas of life, it's all about minimizing failure points. Good looks are great when they don't interfere with safety but good looks don't get you far when you're in a crisis.

What attaches your boat to your anchor is a rode. Chain, wire rope and nylon line and all combinations are an anchor rode. Has nothing to do w "all chain".

I sell swivels but unless you have a problem with your rode, yes that is the correct term, getting twisted, I don't see a need for one. That one does look pretty.

I use one as the only solution to getting the anchor up & over the bow roller without having to lean out over the bow and arrange things. Using the swivel allows me to complete the operation standing at the windless.

That's interesting Darrell, as I have to admit that thus far, since I bowed to the majority opinion on here of not using a swivel and took mine off, the S-Sarca appears to have come up pointing the right way pretty much every time.

I use one as the only solution to getting the anchor up & over the bow roller without having to lean out over the bow and arrange things. Using the swivel allows me to complete the operation standing at the windless.

Our situation is similar. Sometimes our anchor wants to return upside down, and also a shackle doesn't travel over the roller all that well. The in-line form of the swivel we use on our primary anchor -- similar to that pictured, but with a third joint for lateral movement -- helps me sort out the last few feet manually.

FWIW, Kong swivels (Google it) have a decent reputation. Presumably they can be over-stressed, just as shackles can be. I think the swivels we keep for our secondary rodes are made by Kong, maybe the same as pictured...

-Chris

I had one on another boat that bent and partially opened while at anchor. Never again for me.

What attaches your boat to your anchor is a rode. Chain, wire rope and nylon line and all combinations are an anchor rode. Has nothing to do w "all chain".
(Whew!) Thanks, Eric.....I was wondering when someone would get around to that.:blush:

I had one on another boat that bent and partially opened while at anchor. Never again for me.

Was it a Kong product? Or...?

I ask because it may be relevant to OPs query. Can't tell from your note whether you meant a Kong swivel failed, or some other brand/model failed.

??

-Chris

I just compared the swivel to the thumb holding it in the picture. That thing looks huge. The swivel that is.

Kong swivel. Add dog and peanut butter. Kong will swivel. (Sorry. Couldn't resist. In throes of puppy raising.)

Attachments

• kong.jpg
    kong.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 90
Mr. RT:

I'm afraid that that won't squeak for long after our 55lb, 4 1/2 month old Lab "Bos'n" (nickname: "The Moose") gets ahold of it. Numerous poor "squeakies" have already made the ultimate sacrifice.

The Moose demonstrating his delicate touch in The Old Crow (bottle) Dog & Kibble Show:

Kong swivel. Add dog and peanut butter. Kong will swivel. (Sorry. Couldn't resist. In throes of puppy raising.)

That is about the single best investment the larger dog breed owner can make. 2 years of feisty chewing and looks ready to survive 3-4 more.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433597870.303106.jpg

Timely thread for me. I'm getting ready to install a new Rocna from HopCar, and the current setup has a Kong swivel with this shackle holding it.

Do I need the swivel? It feels pretty gritty when turning it. And would you trust your anchored boat to this shackle?

The chain is HT4 3/8.

Cardude I'll run back to Miami and pick one up for you. The delivery charge is going to be steep!

Back
Top Bottom