Old 07-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Airagone Strider
Vessel Model: Cal 39
Rocna Comparison?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the holding power of a new style Rocna Vulcan anchor compares to an old style Rocna with a roll bar of the same size?
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
They say it’s about the same but I never got a chance to try one.
It would be my choice if the roll bar Rocna doesn’t store well on your boat.

I bought one to replace my Delta but Possum sank before I got a chance to try it.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
We have a Vulcan. I used to own a traditional Rocna on a different boat. We've sat in a number of 30+kt blows where we've swung around and opposed the direction the anchor was set with both anchors. We don't see any difference between the performance of the two.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Since the new Rocna is a straightforward copy of the Spade, it should perform about the same. Holding power about the same, resetting ability better.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
They say it’s about the same but I never got a chance to try one.
It would be my choice if the roll bar Rocna doesn’t store well on your boat.

I bought one to replace my Delta but Possum sank before I got a chance to try it.

Poor Possum.

Are you thinking about getting another boat? I’m out of the loop so sorry if this has been discussed.

The Rocha you sold me (and delivered!) with the roll bar has been awesome btw.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Model: Willard 47' Dover Trawler
This is an interesting piece:

https://www.morganscloud.com/2016/08...hts-on-vulcan/

The Morgan's Cloud guy recommends the Spade, arguing, along with Practical Sailor, that the Rocna can fail to reset after a 180 degree wind change. He also argues that the Vulcan is inferior in construction to a Spade.
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Poor Possum.

Are you thinking about getting another boat? I’m out of the loop so sorry if this has been discussed.

The Rocha you sold me (and delivered!) with the roll bar has been awesome btw.
She sank in the last hurricane. I suppose I should start a thread on the loss. She was well insured and someone bought her from the insurance company and is fixing her up. I’m glad she’ll have a second life.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Airagone Strider
Vessel Model: Cal 39
A tradition Rocna won't fit in our new boat. Thinking of a Vulcan. Totally believe in the traditional Rocna. Glad you're having good results with it. I was sure you would.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
A tradition Rocna won't fit in our new boat. Thinking of a Vulcan. Totally believe in the traditional Rocna. Glad you're having good results with it. I was sure you would.

If you are looking for another anchor without a roll bar, you may want to consider the Sarca Excel. They now have a NA distributor.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
She sank in the last hurricane. I suppose I should start a thread on the loss. She was well insured and someone bought her from the insurance company and is fixing her up. I’m glad she’ll have a second life.
Sorry to hear about this Hoppy. I was unaware. Good that she was well-insured.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:31 AM   #11
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
I had bought a 20Kg ROCNA for my GB36 but the roll bar kept hitting the FRP pulpit due to the "through pulpit" style bow roller. Sold the ROCNA and replaced it with a 20Kg Vulcan which proved to be identical in holding power for us.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #12
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Used a 40 kg Rocna Vulcan for two 6 month trips from Anacortes to Glacier Bay & back--no problems.
I would buy it again

Look at the shank, it has a taper--make sure it will be compatible with any constriction you might have on your roller-pulpit.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #13
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Did I hear the guy in the video say, last on his list of well-setting anchors, and almost imperceptibly, "Manson?"

Mine has set, and reset, pretty well so far. There was one time in a wind reversal where it dragged a bit before resetting. Frankly I never trust a reset, so none of this is a surprise to me.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Note that the test is done at a scope of 3.5:1 and the speed and resulting force of the reversal isn't a great 'real world' example. I've never seen a condition where a boat reverses 180 degrees at 3.5 knots directly over the anchor. A 180 reversal directly over the anchor typically only occurs at slack wind and tide, therefore is not as fast as was tested. If there is high wind clocking around, then the reversal is around the circumference of the scope, not the diameter.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
This is an interesting piece:

https://www.morganscloud.com/2016/08...hts-on-vulcan/

The Morgan's Cloud guy recommends the Spade, arguing, along with Practical Sailor, that the Rocna can fail to reset after a 180 degree wind change. He also argues that the Vulcan is inferior in construction to a Spade.

I’m no expert on anchors like some on this forum ( ref to the Pacific Northwest) but I bought a Spade anchor about seven months after reading many tests (yes, I didn’t follow Ted’s recommendation based on the hoop on the Rockna) and used it for a month in the Bahamas. In two locations I found it didn’t dig in (not sure what the bottom was) but in all the others it dug in and held for a month of anchorings. My last anchor was a Boss which also did great but the physical size was too big for the new boat.

I will say the new generation of anchor are far superior to the anchors I grew up with for fifty years.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Anchors are tested for holding power in an anchor test that produces 5000lbs of tension on the rode. Just say’in “I anchored all summer and all was well” dosn’t measure holding power. Setting yes. But you need some really big heavy gear to test holding power. And the ability to equalize as many variables as possible. Oh and the anchor test should be done by a relatively neutral party. Very few anchor tests qualify.

May of the anchors in this thread have not been seriously tested. Maybe I’ve been snooz’in but I don’t recall a top notch anchor test for some time. Anchor manufacturers do tests but it’s mostly beach dragging. Even out of the water. I recall a Mantus rep in a company vid w a small Rocna that was attached to the Rocna as he was walking backwards on a beach pulling the Rocna along carefully holding the line up high enough so the fluke tip was just skidding along perhaps the tip not even touching the sand. Of course it just skidded along like a little kid pulling a sled. But it looked silly and made the Rocna look stupid. Notice how most all (and maybe all) the manufacturers demonstrations make their product look like it’s a miracle compared to the others. And of course there are no miracles.

Anyway it appears to me that quite a few newer anchors have not been seriously tested. Correct me if I’m wrong but I include the Mantus, Vulcan, Excel, and Boss anchors in this basically not tested category. Mostly (probably) because there hasn’t been any comprehensive anchor tests for a few years. And until there is how good these anchors are re holding power will not be known. But enough of them have been sold and used that most if not all of them can be reguarded as excellent anchors. Most newer anchors are good enough that one could just choose which one looked the best and buy. But which one is top dog is just not known.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #17
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Nomad

How many anchors test well because of the testing parameters but don’t do as well in real life? I have no idea myself but I know I trust the opinions of those I know (many on this forum) if the tests agree with those opinions it’s a win.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #18
Guru

Here in our Anchorage A 30-foot sailboat has a vulcan and it seems to hold very well. there's also a 40-foot cat here that is sitting on a spade, he has dragged all around the lake and hit several boats. I do not know if his anchor is aluminum or Steel
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Anyway it appears to me that quite a few newer anchors have not been seriously tested. Correct me if I’m wrong but I include the Mantus, Vulcan, Excel, and Boss anchors in this basically not tested category.

Fortress included the Manson Boss (and Supreme) and the Mantus in the Chesapeake tests.

The entrants are in post 7:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...est-15941.html

-Chris
Old 08-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ranger,
Yes but that was an extreme mud test. Too specialized to tell if the anchors were good all-around anchors.

Motion,
The aluminum Spades don’t match the performance of the steel anchor. But most likely he snagged some debris. The real difference in holding power would probably go to the Spade but not to a degree that would promote a person to buy one or the other.

Fish,
You’d trust opinions over numerous experts in the field doing their best to limit the many variables? Mine included. You should read the anchor tests and then judge where the objectivity lies.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote