Northill Anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Northill .......... you mean the Canadian anchor?

Almost never see one in the states but the're everywhere in BC.

I'd sure like to buy the "PBY" anchor. The other one is for sale by someone that thinks he's got a valuable antique.

Thank's for posting Northern spy. Wish it was somewhere in the Vancouver area. We had dinner at a Korean Restaurant on Denman Place about a month ago .... can hardly wait to get back.

I have one around somewhere, it is in pretty good shape, probably 6 to 10 lbs it was on a Lightning sailboat my Dad and I bought in New Orleans in the 70s

Most of the aircraft versions are SS , to mess with the compass system less.

They are quite strong , but even folded a hard item to stow.

Where do you put a 3 ft long football?

FF I'm surprised at you.

Flat on the foredeck of course. With the stock up and laying alongside the shank w pads for the end of the shank and the corners of the flukes.

But most all the Canadians just put them any old way on the bow because that's where other people put their anchors.

Before the Bruce came along the standard place for anchors was sucked up into a hawspipe fwd on the side of the hull or on the foredeck. On yachts Danforths and Herrishof Kedges were mostly all laid flat on the foredeck and had folding stocks.

My Northill

The old Northill on Invader no longer folds down. Seems most of the commercial guys fix em this way. I like.

They do not seem to be a yacht style anchor and sure do not load well into a conventional pleasure boat bow mount, pulpit. But I like

But the ground tackle system on Invader is very nice to sleep with.:D

Attachments

• 2013 008.jpg
    2013 008.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 371
  • 2013 341.jpg
    2013 341.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 2013 338.jpg
    2013 338.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 169
OFB how hard is it to find those anchor winches used? When the time comes, I'll need one. The Kinematics sticker shock is still with me!

Sailor of Fortune.

Tough very tough so it seems. Hydro come available but electric just don't seem too.

Greetings. The NORTHILL, has been my anchor of choice for over 40 years. Yes to stow could be a problem, but its ability to grip vertually Amy bottom and its abilility to drop straight down and not plane away like a DANFORTH. I now have to modify me new boat to accept it. The other aspect is that it is a terribly strong construction which really helps on bottoms that could br fowled. Bill

OFB how hard is it to find those anchor winches used? When the time comes, I'll need one. The Kinematics sticker shock is still with me!

I see OFB has a chain drive too. Very powerful. I have a very used but rebuildable winch that I bought about 4 years ago and don't think I'll use it. Too big for Willy.

It's been sitting outside so the motor definitely will require rebuilding but the rest seems quite used but ready to go. I paid $400 ... would that be sticker shock to you?

Attachments

• STH71089 copy 2.jpg
    STH71089 copy 2.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 238
Spy .....

Do you think mine's electric? It's hydraulic.

I like them all. The Plinkton is nice but it would be to heavy for the size boat I have envisioned. At 620 Lbs add chain/line weight and it is substantial.

The Kiiji winch is a good deal, as is Erics. Since I don't own the "mother Ship " yet, I can't justify spending the money to put it on the shelf.
As a side note, I do have many Items on the shelf as I come across them. A beautiful aluminum custom built dive/ swim platform I got from Sailors Exchange for $100 about 12 years ago. An aluminum Radar stand, windows etc. The tender/ skiff I'm building is also progressing towards completion.
The mother ship can't be to far away ..... I have always maintained that I don't find boats, they find me!

..... I have always maintained that I don't find boats, they find me!
Interesting comment...I never thought about it but that's exactly what happened to me on my present boat. My wife & I were leaving a bay side eatery and there she was. A year and a half later I bought her. :blush:

"then it is too big for Spy."

Indeed but re both of us the direct drive versions (most are) are more compact. So a smaller direct drive unit could work well but then if you can't find one used (unlikely) you'd have to pay the price. A duplicate of mine new would probably be $4K and possibly $5K as the smallest direct drive units are (I think) $3K.

My friend in Alaska has about the smallest that would hold his rode and as you can see it's kinda big for the boat. Ed bought his new. My reduction drive winch is about 7" longer. Big as they are they are mostly aluminum and not heavy.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 346 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 346 copy 2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
S of F,

Go to the Kolstrand or Kinimatics site and look at their specs. I will need to get back home and measure the W and Height of the drum and pass that on to you. Probably about 250' of 5/8ths line or 5/16ths chain (approx). I'm at Starbucks now. Just bought $50 worth of used books. Chris reads them fast. Later.

Do you have any shipping ideas?

Eric
I'm not ready to buy your winch at this time. I am just curious at this pt. Don't go out of your way to measure on my account.

T of F,
OK good,
It will probably be there when/if you want it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom