Old 09-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #1

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Seaview
Vessel Model: Sundowner 32
new windless and mission creep

The original Vetrus windless had gotten so weak it could not pull the anchor over the roller. I researched the forum and decided on a Lofrans Tigres. I also wanted to replace the relay with the new one that came with it. I figured it should take 1-1/2 hrs to do the R & R. Well boat time must get measured like boat bucks. The Vetrus was two wire and the Tigres is three so new wire time. The wire fit in the chase but the chain had moved the chase enough that the 3 wire cable would not get through. Ok I pulled out 250 ft of chain to access the bottom of the chase. At this point why stop now so I opened up the hole under the chase enough to push the chase through a good inch to make sure it stays put then I epoxied it in place. Well the stopper block was to big and was wedged in the bottom of the locker and had some of the chain jammed under it. Time for a new proper size stopper block. A look at the deck switch wires showed multiple repairs so new wire there too. Tomorrow I will get it all hooked up and running if all goes well.
Unclematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I am glad that I am not the only one who’s projects take many times as long as I think they will. Sorry for your pain, hope it goes better.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:35 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Don't even talk to me about "mission creep", I'm the Zen master of that phrase....

Current one is: let's get the salon AC to work off the generator.
- Might as well improve the ducting while I have it out and add an actual filter on the return.
- Oh wait, the wiring and breakers are all screwed up, got to fix that too.
- Wires are too short for the new location so have to make new wiring harness and extend 110AC.
- Drain line too short so need to extend that too.
- Hard start capacitor didn't cut it so now have to install a Micro Air soft start.

And to top if off it's located in the forward part of the flybridge which is a bit** to get at. Unfortunately, the blood on the deck is not from a fat tuna, but from a fat me after being cut up on unseen sharp thingies.

I'm beginning to think I hate myself....
Old 09-14-2021, 12:17 AM   #4

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Knot Hours
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
What you experienced with your A/C unit is known as "Yak shaving".

It's Saturday morning and you have decided to mow the lawn this morning. As you enter the garage to get the mower you realize you loaned the mower to the neighbor. As you start across the street to ask for it back you realize you still have his cordless screwdriver. You turn around to go get the driver. As you enter the house again you remember your wife attempted to use the neighbors screw driver as a hammer with predictable results. Crap. You grab your wallet and keys to head for the Home Depot to buy a replacement cordless drill/screwdriver. While you're at Home Depot your daughter calls to ask what time she and her family should come over today to celebrate your wife's birthday. Crap. You play along as though you knew it was today and are eventually successful in wheedling out of your daughter what your wife really wants for her birthday - a really warm pair of slippers covered with Yak hair. You spend hours searching all over town looking for them only to find the one place that sells them is out. The clerk confides that the slippers are just regular Walmart slippers with Yak fur contact-cemented on. "Takes 10 minutes per slipper, it's easy!" he says. There's a Yak farm an hour south. You buy the slippers at Walmart and some contact cement at Home Depot, then head for the Yak farm.
It's 5 o'clock in the afternoon and you find yourself standing out in a field shaving a Yak, thinking to yourself, "All I wanted to do was mow the lawn."

Boat repair is just a form of Yak shaving.
Juliet 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet 15 View Post
What you experienced with your A/C unit is known as "Yak shaving".

It's Saturday morning and you have decided to mow the lawn this morning. As you enter the garage to get the mower you realize you loaned the mower to the neighbor. As you start across the street to ask for it back you realize you still have his cordless screwdriver. You turn around to go get the driver. As you enter the house again you remember your wife attempted to use the neighbors screw driver as a hammer with predictable results. Crap. You grab your wallet and keys to head for the Home Depot to buy a replacement cordless drill/screwdriver. While you're at Home Depot your daughter calls to ask what time she and her family should come over today to celebrate your wife's birthday. Crap. You play along as though you knew it was today and are eventually successful in wheedling out of your daughter what your wife really wants for her birthday - a really warm pair of slippers covered with Yak hair. You spend hours searching all over town looking for them only to find the one place that sells them is out. The clerk confides that the slippers are just regular Walmart slippers with Yak fur contact-cemented on. "Takes 10 minutes per slipper, it's easy!" he says. There's a Yak farm an hour south. You buy the slippers at Walmart and some contact cement at Home Depot, then head for the Yak farm.
It's 5 o'clock in the afternoon and you find yourself standing out in a field shaving a Yak, thinking to yourself, "All I wanted to do was mow the lawn."

Boat repair is just a form of Yak shaving.
Good one.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:46 AM   #6
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
you all are killing me with laughter.

certainly i can relate.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:18 AM   #7
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclematt View Post
The original Vetrus windless had gotten so weak it could not pull the anchor over the roller. I researched the forum and decided on a Lofrans Tigres.
Why wouldn't you fix it?
It was working fine once.
Possibly something simple.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #8
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Why wouldn't you fix it?

But that would take less than three days...

Yesterday I spent the whole morning fishing a wire three feet.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
Guru

I think we have discovered a common symptom of the disease.
Yak shaving, I won't forget that one!
Old 09-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Yes, boat projects often take far longer than planned. I installed a two wire terminal post the other day to correct a temporary repair I had made several years ago. I had used two bolts and nuts to reconnect the wires to the windlass I had to replace while cruising. I couldn't get them undone with a wrench and pliers, I had to crawl out from where I was and go to the tool box and get a socket set. Then I had to go back to the tool box for wire cutters to cut the wire ties I had used to secure the connections so they couldn't touch each other.

Then I dropped one of the screws for the terminal block down into the bedding so I had to lift the mattress up and root around for it.

When I went to tighten the nuts on the new terminal block, they were metric so I had to crawl out and go to the tool box and get my metric sockets.

Once I was finished and closed the door to the anchor locker (which holds the TV), the windlass worked, but the TV didn't. I had accidentally disconnected the antenna connection when I moved it.

BTW, it's a "windlass", not a "windless"
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Why wouldn't you fix it?
Yes, if it used to work, it should have ben repairable.

And it's always easier to replace a failed part with an identical new one if possible.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #12

City: Cairns
Ii was having problems with paint adhesion to many, many layers of old paint. Just blast it off so that we can paint direct on to bare metal, I thought.... Let's not discuss all the sins that were hidden under those layers 🤬
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

BTW, it's a "windlass", not a "windless"
Are you sure, I think it is windless when it is struggling to get the anchor over the roller.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #14
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarden View Post
Don't even talk to me about "mission creep", I'm the Zen master of that phrase....

- Hard start capacitor didn't cut it so now have to install a Micro Air soft start.
Yup, the hard start capacitor route is a far cry from the function performed by the micro-processor based Easy Start and the competing Smart Start.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #15

City: Swansea
Vessel Name: Seaview
Vessel Model: Sundowner 32
The Tigres is working only at the deck switches right now. What is left, well I need to wire in the helm switch. secure the wires and clean up before Dock Girl (That is what I call my wife) sees the mess.
Unclematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #16

City: Long Beach Ca
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
ITS A BOAT!!! it will always take longer and you will have to do a parts run.
jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #17
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Why wouldn't you fix it?
Not always the best option though.We spent $450 having the old Lofran Tigres repaired. It has never worked satisfactorily since. The housing won't seat properly, leaking oil etc. Good money after bad.

The new Tigres is still boxed up in the forward cabin waiting for us to be allowed out from lockdown to do the install. One good thing though the new Tigres winch's are quite a bit more powerful than the old models. So hopefully that should help to get the Rocna over the bow roller which the old winch started to struggle to do.

While were are at it we are going to replace the metal bow rollers with quieter nylon rollers.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:25 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Yup, the hard start capacitor route is a far cry from the function performed by the micro-processor based Easy Start and the competing Smart Start.
So the Yak shaving is done and I have to say I'm really impressed with the Easy Start I put in. The AC used to peg the current meter at 50 amps but now it doesn't go past 10 when starting up. It was expensive but at least it works well and I can now run the AC off the generator no problem.

Just in time for winter
Old 09-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #19
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarden View Post
So the Yak shaving is done and I have to say I'm really impressed with the Easy Start I put in. The AC used to peg the current meter at 50 amps but now it doesn't go past 10 when starting up. It was expensive but at least it works well and I can now run the AC off the generator no problem.

Just in time for winter
If you are running a reverse cycle machine, you will continue to enjoy that Easy Start.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote