Old 11-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #1

City: Burgess, VA
Anchoring Technique Program

I just found out that Rudy and Jill Sechez, authors of the the highly acclaimed book on anchoring, "ANCHORING- A Ground Tackler's Apprentice" is offering a hands-on course on all aspects of successful anchoring. This is designed to be a “hands-on training” conducted aboard their trawler or the client’s boat. Other arrangements including land-based group classes are also available.

Contact Rudy or Jill Sechez
rudysechez@gmail.com
850-832-7748

I have no affiliation with this but knowing Rudy and Jill and their expertise, I can predict this would be an outstanding and informative program.

Steve Bedford
Old 11-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
oh oh Another anchoring thread!!!!

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #3

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
What size and type anchor do they recommend?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
what size and type anchor do they recommend?
nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #5

Point of clarification: the original post was not intended to start another anchor thread. My apologies if that is the impression that was received by my post. In talking to Rudy, their purpose is to help those who are intending to spend significant continuous time on their boat, especially at anchor, and are not as experienced or comfortable as they would like to be.

Again, my apologies to the group if my purpose for sharing was not accurately conveyed.
Steve
Old 11-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
It`s not unusual to engage a coach for boat handling, docking, so why not anchoring procedures too. Good idea.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #7
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I must be under-thinking it.

I just drop my anchor as I reverse, give it a tug and then relax. I'd struggle to write a page about it, never mind a book. Sometimes it's good being blissfully unaware.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It`s not unusual to engage a coach for boat handling, docking, so why not anchoring procedures too. Good idea.
Based on some of the anchoring I've seen, this sounds like a good training. Issues I've seen just in the past two weeks:

- Letting out too little scope before trying to set the anchor. Not surprisingly, the anchor just skips along the bottom.

- Being unaware of other boat's swing circle, and anchoring too close or across someone else's chain.

- Not having any clue how much scope is appropriate for a given situation.

And most important, having the wrong anchor and not enough chain :-)
Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
In Wrightsville Beach a few weeks ago, I was t boned by a motorsailer that was sailing horrifically on its anchor.

While it was far away when it anchored, the conditions changed and it started to sail around miserably.

The nice elderly couple was dumbfounded, refused to move, but stayed up all night with the engine running to back down every time they came near me.

Most anchor training doesnt include extremes so I hope this one is more complete.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bedford View Post
Point of clarification: the original post was not intended to start another anchor thread. My apologies if that is the impression that was received by my post. In talking to Rudy, their purpose is to help those who are intending to spend significant continuous time on their boat, especially at anchor, and are not as experienced or comfortable as they would like to be.

Again, my apologies to the group if my purpose for sharing was not accurately conveyed.
Steve

You don’t need to apologize Steve. Alaskan Sea-Duction is just being rude and thinks he’s posting a joke.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Most anchor training doesnt include extremes so I hope this one is more complete.
I did see an early outline of the training session that the Sechez’s are planning. It indeed spends lots of time addressing extreme severe concerns conditions.

Some/many on this forum know Rudy and Jill Sechez. They live full-time on their 34’ Trawler that Rudy designed and built himself. They cruise on the East Coast of the US, Caribbean, the Gulf of Mexico, and inland rivers and waterways. They have successfully anchored during a number of hurricanes.

Steve
Old 11-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #12
Guru

Anchoring during a hurricane does not suggest to me expertise.....

One is bad enough, several times....hmmmmm...

Just had a world class trimaran anchor within 200 feet of me

The creek is fairly uniform, and miles long.

Just another dimwit with lots of experience I would bet that I have to worry about tonight.

The longer I am in the boating business and actively cruising, the less I trust "expert" training.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #13

“Anchoring during a hurricane does not suggest to me expertise.....”

Each captain has to make decisions. I got an email from one of my customers about his successful anchoring experience in the Snake River during Hurricane Irma.

I know Rudy feels most confident in his entire ground tackle set-up than he does in a marina tied up to a dock close to other vessels. He would rather use his “storm” or “hurricane” set up and get as far away from other vessels, docks, land etc as possible. He does not recommend that to others but for those who choose that option, I know of no one else better to learn from. He indeed is an expert founded on years of practical experience that very few ever obtain.

Steve
Old 11-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #14
Guru

Too many experts in the boating business have survived a few instances to write or teach about them but fall way short of really knowing why they survived.

Look at the 2 ladies that just claimed to survive all kinds of stuff and were rescued last month. How many here would call them survival experts yet 5 years from now, how many articles, books and videos by these rxperts might be sold?

Just read a book on doing the great loop where the author said an autopilot was a waste of time as it had little or no use in his mind.

As a former USCG helo pilot I know a lot of one story short experts that got hoisted because their expertise was one notch off.

Cant say for sure in this case, just letting all prospective students in on not too big of a secret in boating circles about boating experts.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Earl Hinz wrote an entire book on the subject of anchoring, a rollicking read if ever there was one. Quite useful actually, lots of information and answers to things we less knowledgeable boaters wondered about. Even the etiquette of anchoring.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
You don’t need to apologize Steve. Alaskan Sea-Duction is just being rude and thinks he’s posting a joke.
I was joking!!! Anchors and rode have been a LOOOONG topic of discussion here on TF. Try going over to the Sea Ray Forum and mention Honda generators on your swim deck.......

I apologize if I offended you NW. I really think learning how to anchor is very important. I still am trying to figure out how to drop the hook in crowded anchorages.

Sorry for the interruption, now back to your regular programming.....
Old 11-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #17
Guru

I agree a lot of info can be shared. Especially the ettiquette stuff.

Not that there is a right answer, but 2 hrs after going to bed I have to get up and make sure the yahoo sharing my patch of creek has a compatible amoung of rode out. Another 100 feet down the creek and I wouldnt worry.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
A Seduction,
It’s a bit of an irritant when people put up the dead horse implying the anchor talk is over and we should move on. But every time there’s quite a few (or more) that have something to say. So indeed it’s not over. Hundreds of times members try to bring a thread to a close like the’re the head master and we’re all subordinates and should heed to the closer. Well IMO as long as there is posting there is something somebody thinks is worth posting and nobody has the right to bring the discussion to a halt.

And I do believe you meant it as a joke. As to Honda generators I sure hope there’s no one here w one of those bad boys.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #19
Guru

Eric, you see the dead horse saying the subject is done. My interpretation is different. I see it as "beating a dead horse" meaning how many times are anchors and rode talked about.

Nothing wrong with the subject matter. I learned a lot here BUT it seems on TF these subjects tend to get a little toxic at times. I saw it as here we go again, grin grin.....and trying to have fun with it.

Everything is worth posting to someone here on TF and that is the beauty of it, right?

Now lets irritate the Sea Ray folks by telling them Honda generators are the greatest thing since apple pie, how about it GFC? Disclaimer: We are suppose to be nice.

Back to the OP. Thanks for the information Steve.

Merry Christmas Eric!!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:11 AM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I bought the Earl Hinz book a while back, will read it soon.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote