Muir windlass disassembly problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusCan

Guru
Vessel Name
Kokanee
Vessel Make
Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I have a 5 year old Muir VCR-850 vertical windlass.

https://b8350c47-0937-4f25-8b7e-638...d/71a7ca_308ef19129f044fdbccc0c7228bed583.pdf

Last time I serviced the windlass, it was a simple job to disassemble. Just remove a bolton the bottom of the shaft, pull out the lock pin, and the gearbox/base/motor assembly slides off the bottom of the shaft.

This time it appears the gearbox/base is locked onto the shaft. After a week of spraying every type of wonder spray, hammering, wedging, prying and swearing it has not moved a one millimetre.

The windlass still operates fine but I expect the lifetime is somewhat limited if it isn't cleaned and serviced again. There is obviously some corrosion in there.
Also - it needs to be disassembled to I replace it.

Any suggestions other than an angle grinder?

I have a 5 year old Muir VCR-850 vertical windlass.

https://b8350c47-0937-4f25-8b7e-638...d/71a7ca_308ef19129f044fdbccc0c7228bed583.pdf

Last time I serviced the windlass, it was a simple job to disassemble. Just remove a bolton the bottom of the shaft, pull out the lock pin, and the gearbox/base/motor assembly slides off the bottom of the shaft..... Any suggestions other than an angle grinder?
I suggest calling Muir. The Sydney branch has a highly regarded knowledgeable Manager whose name escapes me, 0299494084. I think Head Office is in Tasmania.

I am not a believer in penetrating oil so much but I must say I have had good results with PB Blaster on frozen aluminum parts. This was spraying the parts several times a day over a full week. Other penetrating oils I have tried did not work. Repetitive tapping is your friend also. Sharp taps with a lighter hammer (think impact). Not familiar with your windlass but make sure your not forgetting a clip somewhere! Been there!

Just looking at the parts breakdown. Is it possible to put a 3 jaw wheel puller on it? Jaws on top of the motor assembly and center screw on the shaft where the bolt you took off. There are other pullers that may work also or you could fabricate a custom one.

Many times I have made up purpose built pullers and saved myself a lot of headaches.

I just got through to a very helpful guy at Muir. There's a pin in the clutch cone that I can knock out and then drop the gearbox/base/shaft in one piece. Then I can take the whole assembly to get the shaft pressed out.

A good lesson and reminder to service the windlass every year. It gets used often and was probably feeling a bit unloved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom