Maxwell windlass leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
Hi guys a couple of months ago (in summer) I installed a new Maxwell VW10 windlass which has the gearbox/motor in our forward cabin over the bunks.
The installation was done by a professional boat builder who made new teak base and internal joinery, a beautiful job and no sign of possible water ingress there.
We have recently had days of heavy rain and my forward bunks are saturated with water finding its way through the shaft etc, not just a drip but a full and constant dribble/stream.
Referring to the Maxwell installation guide in the small print there is a notation "If installing the windlass motor/gearbox in a DRY location eg forward berth additional arrangements will be necessary to minimize/eliminate water leakage into this area."
I have tried without success to find out what this is about and what is needed. Any help out there!!!

Maybe it was designed to go in the rope locker where water dripping wouldn’t matter as it would just drain out. You may have to fashion a drip catching system and route the water into a sump or into the rope locker.

Have you tried contacting the installer? His problem, methinks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom