Old 07-23-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Charleston wv
Mantus m2

Just giving my experience with the new and improved mantus m2 ......big disappointment....I paid a lot of money for the 55lb m2 after having one of the m1 style mantus for years and the m1 always set fast and hard but this m2 did TERRIBLE in mud of all things it drug for hundred yards and refused to set multiple times in mud....I was very disappointed if the anchor wasnt still on the boat I'd ask for a refund.....I only ordered the m2 because I was worried the m1 wouldnt fit on the roller....so while the m2 set good in sand and held good it was TERRIBLE in mud and I never felt safe and had a good night sleep at anchor knowing it was my only anchor out there.....I'm sure to get slammed by the mantus reps who get paid to brag ok their anchors but m1 amazing anchor m2 fn terrible anchor
Whgoffrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have not looked at Mantus anchors, what is the difference between the M1 and M2?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: US PNW
In broad terms the original Mantus is a roll bar anchor - big skinny hoop. The M2 is the non-roll bar new alternative (similar in application to Rocna hoop vs Rocna Vulcan, although not saying they are the same anchors).
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I can’t use a rollbar anchor in my pulpit. So that rules out a lot of the newer anchors. Sounds like without the rollbar they aren’t as good.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:39 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I can’t use a rollbar anchor in my pulpit. So that rules out a lot of the newer anchors. Sounds like without the rollbar they aren’t as good.
Having owned and loved the Super Sarca, one of the earliest roll-bar anchors, I would tend to agree in general, especially with respect to quick setting. However, this dragging badly in the mud with the M2 sounds a bit odd, unless it was actually failing to set properly in mud, as once set, the flukes are not that different, and I don't feel the roll-bar adds much to not dragging in mud, but might add a bit. However it is in effect, just another spade copy, and looks like in soft stuff it might just lay on its side and slide.

Personally I always felt the original Mantus was a kind of flimsy-looking, (as compared to S-Sarca, Rocna and Mantus Supreme), but owners certainly tend to rate them quite highly, so this posters experience with the M2 is rather telling.
One of the beauties of the somewhat agricultural S-Sarca was its weapons grade, made to do the business, appearance.

https://www.mantusmarine.com
https://www.marinewarehouse.com.au/manson-boss-anchors
https://rocna.com
http://www.anchorright.com.au/products/sarca-anchors/

I have always felt that the one potential weakness of all those spade types, including the Rocna Vulcan, Manson Boss, and now this Mantus possibly as well, was to get them to set and dig in. Once set, then yes, good holding should follow. But how well do they re-set on a reverse pull hard enough to un-set them..? Therein lies the possible problem.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:37 AM   #6
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I have always felt that the one potential weakness of all those spade types, including the Rocna Vulcan, Manson Boss, and now this Mantus possibly as well, was to get them to set and dig in. Once set, then yes, good holding should follow. But how well do they re-set on a reverse pull hard enough to un-set them..? Therein lies the possible problem.
As long as they're not clogged with a giant glob of sticky mud or anything, they should reset just fine. I know the Spade did fine in Panope's testing for a violent reversal at fairly short scope. I can say that at least the initial set on my Vulcan is pretty easy and uneventful. Just drop anchor and rode, give it a tug and it sets. I've had 1 or 2 cases where it seemed to drag a hair before setting in mud (may have dropped it on top of something), but it hasn't failed to set so far.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I have never joined in on the anchor discussions because I don't know much about them (Imagine that). I'm not certain what kind I have. All I know is that it works and I like it.

I may go back and read up on the anchor debate this winter. If this thread is any indication there is a TON of information and knowledge out there. I am impressed guys,( and probably gals).

I love this forum for exactly this reason.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes I believe to my knowledge that's what the anchor did in soft mud just laid on its side never setting ...it drug forever I literally had to tie a rope around a channel marker...... maybe if once set in the anchor would hold but I will say I did not sleep well after almost dragging into boats the first two nights on anchor using it ..
.I believe in sand it does ok as I anchored it in a place with a fast current and when the tide changed and current switched directions and started ripping the other way it reset immediately...but mud ...took 100 yards+ to set
Old 07-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #9
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whgoffrn View Post
Just giving my experience with the new and improved mantus m2 ......big disappointment....I paid a lot of money for the 55lb m2 after having one of the m1 style mantus for years and the m1 always set fast and hard but this m2 did TERRIBLE in mud of all things it drug for hundred yards and refused to set multiple times in mud....I was very disappointed if the anchor wasnt still on the boat I'd ask for a refund.....I only ordered the m2 because I was worried the m1 wouldnt fit on the roller....so while the m2 set good in sand and held good it was TERRIBLE in mud and I never felt safe and had a good night sleep at anchor knowing it was my only anchor out there.....I'm sure to get slammed by the mantus reps who get paid to brag ok their anchors but m1 amazing anchor m2 fn terrible anchor

Thanks for review.

There's a big thread here from a couple years ago about anchor tests (sponsored by Fortress) in the Chesapeake mud; you might want to review that.

They only tested maybe about 10-12 different anchors though, IIRC, so all of the more recent types my not be represented.

And FWIW, one anchor they did not include but that I know works very well in soupy mud is the SuperMAX.

-Chris
Old 07-27-2020, 04:32 AM   #10
Guru

I am surprised to read this, I friend purchased an me for his 52 ft sailboat. Dropped it in the water about 10 weeks ago and his boat hasn't moved an inch since. Mud and sand bottom. I will be interested to hear other users reviews. I suspect this anchor is so new there is not much experience yet
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I have never joined in on the anchor discussions because I don't know much about them (Imagine that). I'm not certain what kind I have. All I know is that it works and I like it...
pete
Pete, Pete, I find that unbelievabubble. That you don't actually know what kind of anchor you have..? That's a bit like asking someone what make of car they drive, and them saying..."I'm not certain what make I have. All I know is that it works and I like it..."

This phenomenon has me intrigued. It has to be a first. Pete, please go check and get back to us on that. Take a photo and post it. We'll soon tell you what you have, even if it's a knock-off...
Old 07-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Years ago, I had a couple of 35-lb Danforths I was trying to set as stern quarter anchors in the bottom of our bayou in preps for a hurricane. Great sand and sandy-mud anchors, but on this occasion in about 5 feet of water with two hundred feet of 5/8-inch nylon rode and 20 feet of 5/16" BBB chain at the anchor they just winched right on up to the boat, AFTER I had gone out and stood on their fluke tips to get them started. That was SOME soupy mud. A couple of FX-37 Fortresses set on "mud" solved that problem the next time setting in no discernable distance, and the Danforths were trashed.

So maybe you were in exceptionally soupy mud which is a challenge for most anchors, except the Fortress and maybe some shovel anchors like my current SuperMax.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I've quite successfully set Deltas, CQRs and Danforths in mud bottoms like found in the Chesapeake (a Delta many many times in many places in the USA and CQRs quite a bit) so it would really surprise me if the M2 wouldn't.

Anchoring is 80% technique.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I've quite successfully set Deltas, CQRs and Danforths in mud bottoms like found in the Chesapeake (a Delta many many times in many places in the USA and CQRs quite a bit) so it would really surprise me if the M2 wouldn't.

Anchoring is 80% technique.
All I can give is my account of what happened....I had just gotten to my boat which the previous own had anchored 1 from bow 1 from stern and I never liked anchoring this way as wind can blow from beam and boat cant pivot so knowing a bad storm was coming within my first hour on the boat I rushed to get both danforths up which in retrospect I should have left there as they were buried DEEP in that mud ...so I rushed to drop my m2 and it drug everywhere first time never set at all drug so bad I gave up pulled it back up and chose to just motor through the storm out away from other boats as I almost hit multiple boats....it drug for every bit of 30 mins as I tried everything to get that anchor to set ...fearing getting the rode caught in prop and anchor that wouldn't set I opted to pull it up and rode the storm out under power doing circles around the crowded Anchorage......very dissapoited and disastrous first start of ownership....that was with a 10 to 1 or longer scope as well
2and time was at peck lake which also is mostly mud at least where I was anchored ...it once again drug for ever and I almost ran into a quite pricey catamaran that was prob 100 yards behind me ...I had to pick the anchor up in a blow and retry setting it 3x before I finally moved about 1/4 mile away from the Anchorage to allow it to drag....it finally dug in and quit dragging but after those first two times I really lost a lot of faith in the anchor
I've had nothing but mantus anchors for 6 years on a sailboat (m1 style and smaller being a 26' sailboat) but I trusted mantus anchord with my life ....those m1 anchors never drug one time in any bottom .....the new improved m2 ...I feel is not an improvement at all ....only purchased it based on mantus reputation and my previous experience with the m1 and because I wasnt sure if an m1 would fit on my bow
Watch the videos of mantus showing how fast it sets and resets .....in sand yeah maybe it does.....mud is definitely a weak spot with this anchor though....technique used is same technique I had always used ... however deep water its dropped in multiply by 7 -10 and let that much chain rode out .....hell with my m1 I never even backed down on the anchor to ensure it set ....I just dropped it and forgot about it ...it ALWAYS set immediately so I never worried always knowing when or if a storm came the stronger wind would bury it for me....hundreds of nights on anchor never drug a foot through some quite powerful storms .....this m2 you better ensure its buried is all I'm saying and I have no idea what the anchor would do in mud if a storm rolled through and wind switched direction .....in sand the anchor did well ....I anchored it in the canal behind the stuart sandbar and the current really starts to rip when the tide changes and it was set on outgoing tide in stiff current and it reset fast when current changed and moved boat 180 degrees but that's purely soft sand bottom ......mud I'll never trust that anchor again
Old 07-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #15

City: Supply, NC
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
I went with the 45 Mantus M2 on our 34 Mainship. That is probably overkill but I have never had any issue with it moving an inch. But our mud is more of a clay consistency so can't speak to the soupy kind.

Don
DonW28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonW28 View Post
I went with the 45 Mantus M2 on our 34 Mainship. That is probably overkill but I have never had any issue with it moving an inch. But our mud is more of a clay consistency so can't speak to the soupy kind.

Don
I've got the 55 on a 36 cym that I think weighs 24k lbs ... maybe it was just too soupy I dunno it really shocked me
Old 07-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The biggest variable in anchoring is the sea floor.
Most anchors that fail, fail to set.
I applaud Steve G. for seemingly knowing this as he set out to do anchor testing.

Even the old Claw anchor that has the best old anchor reputation for setting will at times stick one side fluke down into the bottom and never rotate to an upright position thereby having all three flukes set into the seafloor. Just plowing along (at 90 degrees to vertical) with probably 1/4 of it’s holding power. I’ll bet many many Claw users have spent the night only half set and never knew it.

These hatchlings (That I refer to above) that hatched from roll bar anchors seem to have in common a wide throat angle that has, effectively a wide angle at the fluke tip ... where all the action starts could likely be a bit similar to a bull dozer (at 90 degrees) and it’s blade. With a wide throat angle the fluke tip may be more inclined to plow along on the surface not penetrating the seafloor. One anchor that lacks this wide throat angle is the Excel. Shaped more like a Delta the fluke tip is closer to ideal In setting angle that would be a zero degree throat angle. The angle of the tip as it starts it’s setting drag of a few inches is a critical angle IMO. Danforths have an extremely low set/drag angle initially ... possibly to a fault. I sometimes envision a Danforth trying to set on a seafloor of golf balls would just slide along.
The Excel seems to have that angle just right. And many to most of the “hatchling” anchors try to penetrate the bottom .. too much sideways with a wide throat angle.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #18

City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Serenade
Vessel Model: Schucker and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom sailboat
Mantus is aware is of this problem with the new M2 setting in soft mud. They have resigned the shank angle and are replacing them on the first batch. They will send you a new redesigned shank to bolt on your self. Good on them for admitting a flaw.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Sounds like the OP was in a hurry and had reasons to be. Never optimal. If you can afford to be patient, shank angle is less of an issue.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
Mantus is aware is of this problem with the new M2 setting in soft mud. They have resigned the shank angle and are replacing them on the first batch. They will send you a new redesigned shank to bolt on your self. Good on them for admitting a flaw.
Really that's the first I'd heard of that