Lofrans Tigres Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mragan

Vessel Name
Steadfast
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
We have a Lofrons Tigres windlass I would like to replace the oil in the gear box. I can't seem to find a drain. I see the fill and the sight glass, but no drain.
The manual makes no mention of how to perform maintenance on gear box. Hoping someone has had some experience with this.

Thanks

When I change the oil, I use a hand-actived suction pump with a 1/4-inch tube through the fill hole. Most auto supply stores will have them.

Yep, ditto that. You have to use a suction pump to suck it out.

H.

I was going to siphon the old oil out of mine but when I took out the fill plug I found that the gear was so close to it I couldn't fit the plastic tube down there. I don't remember but perhaps the tube I had was a bit bigger than 1/4". Has anybody with a Tigress actually done this?

Ken

Check the first two posts after your question.

I'm paying attention because I have to do mine shortly for the first time.

Is it even necessary to change the oil?

Check the first two posts after your question.

I'm paying attention because I have to do mine shortly for the first time.

Yes I know what they said but I'm wondering if they were able to get a tube in on this exact model - Tigress?

Tigress

I just did mine last week for the first time. Have to suck it out and yes a small, flexible tube can be worked around the gear.

If its getting on in years you may want to replace the seals. Otherwise slightly milky may be in your future too. My tigres was easy to disassemble and do the seals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom