Lewmar HX1 windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catbird

Veteran Member
Lewmar HX-1 windlass
I'm planning a powered windlass installation. I have been focused on a Lewmar Pro 1000 Horizontal Windlass (Power Up / Power Down) - but I have just come across Lewmar's HX1 range. It prices out in the same range as the Pro 1000. It appears to have very different components and engineering than the Pro 1000. I cannot find any online reviews of this item, however. There is a detailed description of the HX1 here:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...46&id=4118869T

Does anyone have direct experience with the HX1? Or thoughts about comparing it with the Pro 1000 Horizontal?

Did you Purchase this windlass? I am looking at this one also. how has it worked out so far?

I haven't made my purchase yet.

The HX1 is apparently made in two versions: an 800W and a 500W. I have not found any specs for the 500W version. Here's what I found for the 800W HX1:
Lewmar HX1 105 Amps

The 1000H draws only 50 Amps. I'm going to get the 1000H.

The amount of amps it draws is proportional to how much work it can do. I’d pick one size bigger than you are spec’d for.

I pulled the trigger. I just placed my order through West Marine for the HX1 GD 800w, model #69140037 it should be available for pick up on Friday. I will have to increase the mounting stud length though. The mounting location is on top of the bow pulpit that is 2 1/2" thick with the deck being 1 1/4" thick. I will also have to do some fiberglass work to fill the large holes from the old Sampson Lowrance sprint 1000 windlass. I will post an update when its all in and running.

I pulled the trigger. I just placed my order through West Marine for the HX1 GD 800w, model #69140037 it should be available for pick up on Friday. I will have to increase the mounting stud length though. The mounting location is on top of the bow pulpit that is 2 1/2" thick with the deck being 1 1/4" thick. I will also have to do some fiberglass work to fill the large holes from the old Sampson Lowrance sprint 1000 windlass. I will post an update when its all in and running.

I am interested in knowing why you have ordered a lower power unit than the one you are replacing.
My own experience with having to rewind my old Lofrans Tigres 1000 is that the winding shop thought mine "has been abused" in normal use. I note that the Tigres now comes only in 1500 watts.

Koliver, According to the manuals the old Sampson Lowrance sprint 1000 only has a 400w motor with a working load of 165lbs. According to the Lewmar HX1 GD 800 manual it has a 800w motor and a working load of 586lbs. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but please let me know ASAP. I don't want to make a bad mistake and install something and then have to pull it out.

Ksoulant, I'm interested in hearing how your Lewmar HX-1 windlass has worked out.

I has worked out very well no problems at all. I just had to get use to the power down aspect of the unit. The older Sampson Lowrance sprint 1000 went into free fall when the windlass down button was pushed.

Back
Top Bottom