Old 07-31-2016, 07:53 PM   #261
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
My son in law suggested that in the future we take a large climbing cam lock to use in the many rock walls in desolation sound.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:57 PM   #262
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle419 View Post
I've found that the Manson resets readily Foggy.

In fact I was anchored last night in a river and it reset happily in mud on tidal current of around 2+kn either way. The speed of reset is something that sets it apart from my previous long history using CQRs.

Mind you I've only owned this boat for four years, and no system works every time.
John-- if you watch any of the many anchor tests videos you will see most anchor do reset quickly and among them, the Supreme. But what is not shown in the tests are anchors that have buried themselves deeply into the mud.

I did not pull the anchor when it slipped. A few days later when we were about to leave I retrieved it with the windlass and where the chain attaches to the anchor, at least 5' of it were completely covered with mud along with the anchor.

I suspect the reason for it not quickly resetting earlier was because the anchor itself had heavy mud attached to it. I certainly didn't want that mess stored in my chain locker so I dragged both the muddy chain along with the anchor for about 100' or so to clear all mud from both the chain and the anchor.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:34 PM   #263

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
John-- if you watch any of the many anchor tests videos you will see most anchor do reset quickly and among them, the Supreme. But what is not shown in the tests are anchors that have buried themselves deeply into the mud.

I did not pull the anchor when it slipped. A few days later when we were about to leave I retrieved it with the windlass and where the chain attaches to the anchor, at least 5' of it were completely covered with mud along with the anchor.

I suspect the reason for it not quickly resetting earlier was because the anchor itself had heavy mud attached to it. I certainly didn't want that mess stored in my chain locker so I dragged both the muddy chain along with the anchor for about 100' or so to clear all mud from both the chain and the anchor.
Fair enough!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #264
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
In the Northwest and SE Alaska, the anchors of choice in no particular order are plows (CQR, Delta, etc), claws (Bruce, Lewmar and other Bruce knockoffs) and Rochna, used with the heaviest all-chain rode your windlass can digest. Fortress anchors are not generally not seen on bigger boats here since light weight is not a desirable attribute. My particular setup is a 66 lb Bruce and 300 feet of 3/8 " chain. Anchoring depths in SE AK can be 50-70 feet, or deeper. In anything other than a serious blow, 3:1 scope works fine for me on most bottoms and limits the swing radius.

If your east coast anchoring is normally shallow on mud or sand, a Danforth design like Fortress with part - chain rode might work fine.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #265
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Really,
I had no idea there were favorite anchors in our boating area. I do see a lot of Claws and Danforths but assumed it was nation wide. And I do know the right coast has mostly shallow water. So there is a difference to contend with and certain anchors should be prefered and therefore more numerous. But I suspect that most just buy the best anchor they can find to suit their needs and opinion ... heavy on the latter.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #266
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Eric-

I subjected myself to some $ pain searching for the 'right' anchor. Now I don't think there is one, that is one for all occasions. So my questionable 80# Supreme now has to share notoriety for that honor with my Fortress FX-55 next season.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #267

Cwr

Recommend 45# cqr forcall butcsand conditions. Need 50# danforth for sand
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #268

Crab bouy will do well
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:44 AM   #269
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Seems most boaters are satisfied with what they've got. Besides, most boats never/hardly leave the marina.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #270

City: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I only have room for one anchor on the bow.
My boat is 21000 lbs, four foot draft and ten feet of house above the water.
I travel up the east coast annually from Florida to New England.
I am willing to pay the price.
What is the best anchor to buy???

I have tried them all and admittedly some work better than others, some don't work at all.

After 25 odd ... years, I'm down to a Spade ! It sets first time every time and holds like a s.o.b. ! Regardless of what you choose, go one bigger than recommended. FB
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #271
Guru

Ex Sailor wrote; "Tried them all"
So what's your take on the Davis, Bulwagga, XYZ, Hydro-Dyne, Kobra, Bugel?
Actually the Davis and Kobra are very excellent anchors but not widely available in the US. And when serious wind is forecast I get out my XYZ. No other.
And speaking of Spade I was at Fisheries Supply yesterday and was looking at a small Spade (probably 15lbs). The shank was a plate steel cutout ... not the hollow built up fabrication I'm used to seeing. It looked rather cheap. And I'm a fan of Spade anchors. Especially after seeing Steve (Panope) vids.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #272
Guru

To the primary poster: You have walked into a minefield.Perhaps you should just go from dock to dock. Otherwise read the anchor tests preformed by the Practical Sailor non advertising consumer type magazine and pick one of their better performers for the bottom type you intend to anchor in. Good Luck.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #273
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
My sons took their sailboat from Cape Cod, MA to Trinadad and back over a period of 3 years in every type bottom. They always anchored out except in Havana.
Slightly oversized Danforth HiTinsil Accept no substitutes.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #274
Guru

Brooksie I love it.
Standing up for the dark horse. Dans have been holding boats well since 1938. When you say "HiTinsil" you mean the Dan w the forged flukes and shank? ... just forged shank and sheet metal flukes or the top end Dan from West Marine? Or something else?

Old 12-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #275
Guru

I have the room to carry six or more anchors and can afford them but for the PNW I carry three and that is probably one too many. Primary on the bow a big SS Ultra it looks good and works well and relatively easy to clean mud off. This is attached to 160 foot of moderate sized chain and 250+ foot of good braided nylon. In 5 years of use I never needed another anchor for holing purposes. In the bilge I carry a fair sized(original type ) aluminum spade and a FX 37 fortress for special and back up use. I would like a Bulwaga but they are ugly and not so easy to store. Having boated over 40 years on the East coast I believe the same combination with much less chain would work well.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #276
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Brooksie I love it.
Standing up for the dark horse. Dans have been holding boats well since 1938. When you say "HiTinsil" you mean the Dan w the forged flukes and shank? ... just forged shank and sheet metal flukes or the top end Dan from West Marine? Or something else?
NM I believe the HT Dan was made of better metal and they used thinner shank and thin sharp flukes net result stronger slghtly lighter easier and deeper penetration into sand and mud.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #277
Guru

eyeshulman,
Yes
But most well used Danforth anchors are bent.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #278
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
eyeshulman,
Yes
But surely once bent the metal becomes plastic, ie.more easily bent.
Just ask Bjent Axel, the famous Swedish rally driver.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #279
Guru

Quote:
eyeshulman,
Yes
Probably bent because once well set they resist turning and resetting what I see as a major fault of the DF type of anchor. If set well they can have tremendous holing power in a straight on pull as demonstrated by the Fortress sponsored tests. Three DF set at 60 degrees and tied to a single line make a great mooring or storm anchor set up and I have used this system satisfactorily in the past. A single DF type on a turning or potentially turning boat not good in my opinion and it maters not how good the DF will hold on a strait pull in that situation. Great for pulling a grounded boat free or in multi anchor situations otherwise I keep my fortress in the bilge and that would be my advise to others.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:59 PM   #280
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The high tensile Danforth have forged shanks and the standard have shanks cut from plate.
The flukes of the high tensile have flukes with a T cross section and the standard have flukes with an L cross section.

Danforth also made an anchor called a Deep Set that was pretty amazing. It was made from some high tech steel alloys and was very thin. The shank was in fact spring steel and could bend quite a bit and spring back. They had a problem manufacturing the shanks for the larger size. Most of them were curved. The smaller ones were fine and I still have one.