Old 12-17-2016, 06:42 AM   #281

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
For the record I have a Delta on my boat.
I think the Delta is still a good value.
I had a Delta on my 32 foot sailboat for my first trip down the ICW and back so got to anchor in every bottom between Halifax, NS and Coco, FL.

I then replaced it with a Mantus for the next two ICW cruises.

Night and day. I used to stand up on the bow pulling and jerking the rode to get the Delta to set. I set a second anchor (Fortress) nearly every night after waking up in the middle of the night a few hundred yards from where I set.

With the Mantus, I learned to be sure my fingers were clear of everything when it touched bottom because it would set before I expected it to. I never had to do anything encourage it to bite. The Fortress only came off the bow once or twice after I had a little experience with the Mantus.

My only complaint about the Mantus is that it can be very hard to break out. I usually had to use power on the sailboat. If you are going to have one problem with an anchor, that would be the one to have.

Two subsequent trawlers and ICW round trips have confirmed my faith in the Mantus.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #282
Guru

I have been using Danforths for 25 plus years and never had one bend.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #283
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Rodger,
I have quite a number of anchors and have never had any significant problems retrieving anchors. I'd consider the dificulty breaking out as an issue and choose another anchor. Danforths can be a little difficult but all my other anchors come right up. Even the Manson Supreme. The MS having such astonishing holding power at very short scope would be a prime candidate for breakout problems .. one would think. But having mentioned the MS bringing up lots of mud very often is propably a bigger broblem than dificulty breaking out. Hmmm

Problems like this frequently are related to bottom types. Florida sand and PNW mud are quite different. I really don't have a problem w my MS re bringing up mud but lately my MS dosn't have a roll bar.

Jay,
I haven't had a Dan bend either. And my favorite back up anchor is a 13lb Dan w forged shank. Never a problem. It came w the boat when new I'm sure as too many Willard 30' boats have one on deck and I'm sure many others are belowdecks .. like mine. I won't part w it. This one has sheetmetal flukes. I have a 22lb Dan w the forged double flanged flukes and a forged shank w a big fat hinge eye at the stock. I think it's as good as Dans get but I haven't used it .. not had it long.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #284
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Probably bent because once well set they resist turning and resetting what I see as a major fault of the DF type of anchor. If set well they can have tremendous holing power in a straight on pull as demonstrated by the Fortress sponsored tests. .

Not many years ago West Marine recalled all Rocna anchors it sold because "once well set" their shanks often bent upon retrieval.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #285
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The high tensile Danforth have forged shanks and the standard have shanks cut from plate.
The flukes of the high tensile have flukes with a T cross section and the standard have flukes with an L cross section.

Danforth also made an anchor called a Deep Set that was pretty amazing. It was made from some high tech steel alloys and was very thin. The shank was in fact spring steel and could bend quite a bit and spring back. They had a problem manufacturing the shanks for the larger size. Most of them were curved. The smaller ones were fine and I still have one.
that is it the deep set is what I had and was thinking of not the HT.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #286
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Not many years ago West Marine recalled all Rocna anchors it sold because "once well set" their shanks often bent upon retrieval.
That of course was in the days Rocna made their anchor shanks w mild steel. Most all cheap Danforths probably are too judging from all of the bent shanks I see re the type. But now (as then) Rocna was quite popular. They are still as people don't hold others accountable. Remember the Exon-Mobile oil spill in Prince William Sound? The cry of the land was to boycott Exon-Mobile. But like Rocna their products seem to be as available as ever.

But this is a reminder to me not to deploy a Dan when I think or know a wind reversal may happen. Of course most all the time it would take a big wind to bend perhaps even the cheap Dans. Depends on the bottom too.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #287

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I'd consider the dificulty breaking out as an issue and choose another anchor.
Perhaps I'm over stating. I've only had significant difficulty breaking out a Mantus once, in a place I know to have unusually good holding after a big blow.

It was more of an issue on the sailboat when I wanted to sail off the anchor but I didn't do that often.

Now, I feel good every time I pull up to 1:1 scope, stopper off the chain, and put the engines in gear until I see the bow dip down and bob up.

Having an anchor break out prematurely with lots of rode still out in a crowded anchorage with wind and current can be overly exciting. That hasn't ever happened to me with the Mantus. Nice to almost never have to bring in more than the water depth of chain after the anchor lets go.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #288
Guru

Rodger,
Yes it's hard to express degrees on emphasis. I have several favorite words and sort-of pull them out of the had so to speak.

No doubt the Mantus is one of the best anchors ... certianly not to be disposed of (ha already I'm looking for the right word) without due consideration.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #289
Guru

Re breaking out. My favorite method is to shorten scope in water depth increments every ten minuets prior to leaving. The reason it allows chain and rode to self clean. When I get to the point the chain is straight down with some tension on it I allow it to stay that way for several minuets checking to see if anchor has come out if not I take up any slack and retention. This method usually allows for better cleaning of chain and a slower none traumatic break out. If the Anchor resists this method I will give the boat a sl bump in reverse and do small increment back and forth power. It takes planning and time but reduces the stress on anchor rode and windless.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #290
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Re breaking out. My favorite method is to shorten scope in water depth increments every ten minuets prior to leaving. The reason it allows chain and rode to self clean. .
That is a great trick Ed. We'll for sure do it in Ganges where the mud on the bottom is about 2 feet of saturated logging oil and debris from the old days.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #291
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Re breaking out. My favorite method is to shorten scope in water depth increments every ten minuets prior to leaving. The reason it allows chain and rode to self clean.

Ah! Thanks! Sounds like a very useful idea for our situation around here!

We use a mixed rode, specifically to reduce the time it takes to clean the mud off the chain. I could move the boat right up to the 25' length of leader chain for a while, see if that whole self-cleaning idea could work for me...

-Chris
Old 12-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #292
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
That of course was in the days Rocna made their anchor shanks w mild steel.

Yes and their fouled reputation resulted in Manson capturing a significant segment of the anchor market that is forever lost to Rocna.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote