Old 08-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
I think I have a windlass solenoid issue

While operating the Lewmar V700 windlass yesterday it would not pay out chain to allow me to adjust the anchor for the final pull through the pulpit slot. Several hours before I had used the pay out (down) function from the switch at the helm to lower the anchor. Later on, I retrieved the anchor to the point where it needed to be rotated to come up through the anchor pulpit slot. I needed to pay out a small amount of chain, but the windlass would not pay out. I went to the bow, and using the footswitch there, heard a solid clunk as the solenoid activated, but the windlass would still not turn in the down direction. I released the wildcat brake using the windlass wrench and manually pulled out a foot of chain with no resistance suggesting that something like a link of chain getting sideways in the chain locker was not the issue. The 3-Amp inline fuse is not visibly blown, and the retrieve mode works from both helm and bow foot switch. I am thinking that even though there is an audible clunk as the solenoid activates when the down switches are pushed, the connection is not being made in there.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Have you tried swearing at it?

Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Have you tried swearing at it?
Former US Navy and you have to ask? First thing out of my mouth.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Guru

I did get a rather fine photo of it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03064.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	106057  
Old 08-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hughesville, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
If a solenoid is audibly actuating, isn't an internal failure pretty rare? Don't know myself, just seems unlikely. Have you tried shorting the output terminals or measuring the output continuity with the solenoid activated? Have you checked the wiring from the solenoid to the motor?

My below-deck windlass wiring looks a bit like yours, and my last 'failure' was due to a loose connection.

Hope the solution is a simple one, but it's a boat.

Greg.
GregBrannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Measure the voltage at the motor terminal before and after you hit the down switch. If no voltage then there is a wiring failure or a solenoid failure. I did have a solenoid go bad with that windlass, although I don't think I got any noise from the solenoid when I engaged it so it was pretty obviously bad.

3 amps for the fuse protecting the solenoid control wiring! That is surprisingly low. I would have guessed at least 10 amps.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #7

City: San Diego
I see the large yellow insulator chewed up where the red wire is pressed against it. Loose connection sounds right. I assume the solenoid is easiest to remove from bulkhead and tighten screws. If that doesn't;t work, the windlass may have an internal loose wire. I don't think the switches are the problem. For about $175, it may be a convenient time to replace the solenoid. Your call, how old is it?
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
Guru

Greg, from some research here, it is apparent these things do crap out. Like you, I tend to assume that a solenoid which sounds like it should is actually making contact. I am going to have to removing from the awkward mounting location in the chain locker in order to physically be able to do further diagnosis.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
Guru

Swfla, I found one for about 145 bucks. Initial impression is that there is enough working tether to get the connected solenoid clear of the bulkhead for examination, but at this point the wiring all looks OK while standing on my head. We will find out a bit later today when the sea breeze picks up and it becomes bearable to work under the boat shed.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #10

City: Coral Gables
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship Pilot Sedan 34
Rich, I had to replace that solenoid on my Pilot 34. In my case the unit did not click, clunk or thunk. I replaced it with a non-Lewmar brand, but do not recall the make (Imtra, maybe? ). I believe i got it at Defender for considerably less than the Lewmar, and it claims to be waterproof. In my case I was able to remove the solenoid then remove the wires, then wire the new one before installing.

Good luck,

Brett
Tonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Swfla, I found one for about 145 bucks. Initial impression is that there is enough working tether to get the connected solenoid clear of the bulkhead for examination, but at this point the wiring all looks OK while standing on my head. We will find out a bit later today when the sea breeze picks up and it becomes bearable to work under the boat shed.
You can pay that much for a marine brand solenoid, or you can go to NAPA for a more generic brand that does exactly the same job, continuous duty, for $25.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
LOL, it's always a challenge with windlass solenoids and accessibility. You're doing great so far. No need to start part changing (new solenoid) until you've gotten to windlass connections. Another thing you should check is continuity of wires from solenoid to windlass. Ohm meter and long jumper wires.
A very remote possibility is the battery that supplies power to windlass has a bad cell. It'll show good voltage resting but will plummet with a load on. A hydrometer to test the specific gravity of each cell is another way to evaluate the battery. Even a fairly new battery can go bad. MS can have complicated wiring setups that will make you pull your hair out if there's not a dedicated windlass battery. This usually shows on the up function but could happen on down as well.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
The arc from making and breaking direct current may have fouled the contact area. I have gutted windlass foot switches and found that arcing is the problem. My foot switches are identical with horn switches so I keep plenty of spares.

In your photo it looks like the orange colored wire is disconnected just passed the black wire tie. Or it may be the angle of view.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #14

Good point about the contacts getting dirty. Touching the wires together will test that theory. But because the solenoid operates on the down switch, it's unlikely dirty switch contacts are the issue in this case.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #15
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
My first step would be to bypass the solenoid and apply V to the windlass and test up and down functionality. Windlass motor terminals can corrode internally and bearings can seize. New motor cost is about the same as a solenoid.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
My first step would be to bypass the solenoid and apply V to the windlass and test up and down functionality. Windlass motor terminals can corrode and bearings can seize. New motor cost is about the same as a solenoid.
The windlass retrieves just fine.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #17
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
My first step would be to bypass the solenoid and apply V to the windlass and test up and down functionality. Windlass motor terminals can corrode internally and bearings can seize. New motor cost is about the same as a solenoid.
Where are you able to buy a new motor that cheap?
My Lofrans Tigres failed, I took the motor in and it was rewound for $750Cdn. I bought new solenoids at the same store for $25 ea.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swfla View Post
LOL, it's always a challenge with windlass solenoids and accessibility. You're doing great so far. No need to start part changing (new solenoid) until you've gotten to windlass connections. Another thing you should check is continuity of wires from solenoid to windlass. Ohm meter and long jumper wires. A very remote possibility is the battery that supplies power to windlass has a bad cell. It'll show good voltage resting but will plummet with a load on. A hydrometer to test the specific gravity of each cell is another way to evaluate the battery. Even a fairly new battery can go bad. MS can have complicated wiring setups that will make you pull your hair out if there's not a dedicated windlass battery. This usually shows on the up function but could happen on down as well.
I went out and actually enjoyed sitting on the bow in the sea breeze under the shed, despite the thousand percent humidity. Anyway, I had the solenoid removed from the chain locker bulkhead in a trice, and access is now perfect. All wires and their connections are sound as a dolla.... we'll leave that particular definition for now. Anyway they are as tight as a drunken sailor.
There are only two wires from solenoid to windlass, red and white, and since the windlass retrieves quite well, those wires are good. Connections to the black box solenoid from the helm rocker and the two foot switches are obviously good since the solenoid moves whenever the switches are depressed, retrieving just fine meaning the battery is fine (it is a pair of new Odyssey AGMs - the "start bank"). So I sent my old hydrometer along with the trawler full of LA batts when I sold it. The problem is obviously inside the solenoid box, and I am not about to try to tear it apart to burnish what may well be burned up contacts. I am going to"black box" it and get a new dual action solenoid, the one specified for the windlass by Lewmar (but not FROM Lewmar). It will take about ten minutes to replace old with new. Thanks everybody for the ideas. Then I will report back
Old 08-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #19
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Some windlass manufacturers advise against mounting the solenoid in the chain locker. They suggest a dry protected position such as under the v-berth. This may help to avoid future problems.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Some windlass manufacturers advise against mounting the solenoid in the chain locker. They suggest a dry protected position such as under the v-berth. This may help to avoid future problems.
I hear ya, but this one came out looking quite well because it is tucked up under a shelf high in the locker. It is a sealed unit. And even if I wanted to execute that fine idea, the nightmare involved in trying to execute it from the rear side of the bulkhead in the cabin of this boat would not soon be forgotten and probably visible to the naked eye.