Old 06-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
Guru

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
How well does nylon rode self-store in locker?

Hi! Considering replacing my all chain rode with a rope/chain one. I have a Lewmar 1000 horizontal windlass with hawsepipe down to the locker. Does the rope normally self stow without tangles? My chain did until it got rusty and flakey, which is the reason for replacement.

Thanks for any comments.
PS: Not going to rehab the chain, so no dirt road suggestions
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I never had much luck with either chain or line. Seems like I always need to feed it through. Could just be my set up though.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
My setup feeds down into the locker just fine, both the 5/16" chain and the 5/8" 8 plait nylon. I've got quite a bit of drop from the bottom of the windlass to the top of the pile, however. It's something like 28 inches when all of the rode is in the locker.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
Guru

Thanks! 1 from each camp. Any tiebreakers? I haven't measured mine. Guessing 1.5 to 2 foot drop to locker bottom.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
On my former boat, a sailboat, I had to "handfeed" the 3 strand nylon portion of the rode into the locker. It would not 'self feed" down the "chain pipe". It was a bit of a pain, in that I would retrieve the rope portion laying it on deck. Then hand feed that down into the locker. Once the chain portion was on the gypsy it fed fine from there.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have all chain and it feeds very well, no piling up. If I were going to a nylon rode I would go with a plaited line. They will not hockle as easily and I think they will stow more compactly.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
You will need a very soft lay of rope. My charter boat has a combination rode for the sand anchor. If I don't settle the rope before the chain goes in, occasionally the chain tangles in the rope and hangs on the way out. Fortunately, I seldom used the sand anchor. All chain on my trawler with about a 3' drop near full. Never a problem going in or out.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Smelly Rode

We had an Albin 25 before the Willard and after a trip to Alaska (and back) the anchor (right above our berth) got rather smelly.

So when we bought Willy I put a plastic box on the foredeck and as the anchor line comes up i pay it down into the box. There are vent holes in the bottom and it's surprising all 425' of 5/8ths nylon Brait line fits in w room to spare. One of my anchors will actually fit in too .. and w closing the lid.

Had some troubles w the box moving around in rough weather but it mended it's ways. Never have had the 1/2" dia rode out of the "anchor locker" that came w the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71273 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #9
FF
Guru

The most important part of using line is should the stowed line pile fall over it does not refuse to come back up as chain frequently can.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:41 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
On my Albin 40, the chain piles up and nearly out of the (very small, shallow) locker.....the drop becomes so little, occasionally it will stop going through to the locker and pile on the deck.

Can't imagine anything fiber working....but as suggested the softest lay you can find. Probably not 3 strand or braid.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The most important part of using line is should the stowed line pile fall over it does not refuse to come back up as chain frequently can.

Agreed. And in a mixed rode, having the chain on top of line seems to limit how the chain pile falls over. I've had mine fall over a few times, but always pretty gracefully and the chain still fed out fine the next time.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #12
Guru

Looks like a combination rode might be the ticket. I like using chain, we've never broken free with our Manson Supreme and chain. We mostly anchor in 20ft or less. Thinking of a 100 or so ft of chain and a hundred feet line. I'll end up using chain most of the time. Already have a bridle and snubber with chain hooks. If I need more scope, there would be the extra line.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike66 View Post
Looks like a combination rode might be the ticket. I like using chain, we've never broken free with our Manson Supreme and chain. We mostly anchor in 20ft or less. Thinking of a 100 or so ft of chain and a hundred feet line. I'll end up using chain most of the time. Already have a bridle and snubber with chain hooks. If I need more scope, there would be the extra line.

That's basically the setup I went for, being in an area without coral or other bottom chafe concerns. 90 feet of chain and 300 of line in my case. If traveling to the Bahamas or similar, I'd suck up the weight penalty and add a bit more chain to the mix (maybe up to 150 feet).
Old 06-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #14
Guru

Totally Northeast cruising for us at this point.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike66 View Post
Totally Northeast cruising for us at this point.

In that case, I'd say the 100 feet of chain should be plenty. Beyond that, I'd add as much line as the locker will reasonably hold. 200 feet of total rode is enough in most of the northeast, but occasionally having more is nice for the options it gives, especially if you're in deep water and want to stop for a while to watch some sailing races or something.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #16
FF
Guru

With no coral, a few ft of heavy chain that will still fit in the bow roller ( 1/2 or 3/4) that is short enough to lay on deck before the windlass works fine.

Not much mud to wash off the chain & no dead stuff stink below.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
With no coral, a few ft of heavy chain that will still fit in the bow roller ( 1/2 or 3/4) that is short enough to lay on deck before the windlass works fine.

Not much mud to wash off the chain & no dead stuff stink below.
Personally, I hated the chain stored on deck setup when I had that. It led to chain sliding around, banging around, etc. if the water got a bit rough. And as far as mud / smell, a good washdown spray as the chain comes up with an occasional pause to knock a chunk off gets rid of all but a thin film of mud (which dries pretty quickly in the locker and doesn't smell). The nylon holds a bit of grime even when rinsed and stays wet for weeks. But as long as the locker has some ventilation to outside, is reasonably sealed from the cabin and doesn't drain to the bilge, smell is generally not an issue. Occasionally rinsing out the locker and rode thoroughly with fresh water helps too.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
The best self storing line for anchor rode is plaited rope. Yale Nylon Brait is very soft and lays flat in rode lockers and takes up less space. Because of it's plaited construction the rope doesnt twist, tangle, kink or get hockles. Plus it's superior to three strand in energy absorption.

I use Yale Nylon Brait for the back up rode. 400' of 1/2" fits in a 7 gallon bucket. Also used for shore tie.

Nylon Brait combines braiding technology with plaited rope optimizing the best of both rope styles. Nylon Brait’s most outstanding feature is its high energy absorption, which comes from a combination of the very long yarn path and stranditure developed especially to maximize energy absorption.

Nylon Brait can absorb (or mitigate) greater amounts of dynamic energy than 3-stranded or braided rope structures with less damage. Brait’s energy absorption also keeps the corresponding loads on attachment points smaller since the rope does more work internally. Brait is easily spliced and the spliced rope delivers 100% of the ropes advertised strength.
Attached Images

syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
I've found that in a muddy anchorage a dirty chain on top of rope creates a smelly locker. Generally OK though if locker sealed from boat interior.

The best all line setup I had was on a SeaRay with a Good windlass and their soft anchor line. Dropped and retrieved perfectly. Only 10 feet of chain though.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:32 AM   #20
FF
Guru

For coastal cruising many folks will simply flake the anchor line on deck in a figure 8 pattern.

A hunk of shock cordkjeeps it together and as it dries it gets lighter.

Stuffing it down into the chain locker may be needed were a wave will climb aboard , but seldom inshore.