How Much Rode & Chain For New England?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am currently thinking an Ultra. It seems to test well in most conditions.

One Helmsman 38E owner on the west coast had an anchor too long for the windlass which was installed by a previous owner. The anchor would pop the chain off the windlass when it came up over the bow. So, length will matter on your choice.

Balance

With a new boat on order, one of the many decisions to be made is anchor rode.

200 ft. of chain comes standard. Helmsman advises its not wise to add more chain in the bow, for weight. I can of course add rode, which adds little weight.

My use will be east coast, Maine to Florida and over to the Bahamas, and home port in the Chesapeake. From the Chesapeake south the issue is often too little depth, not too much. I don't perceive any real issue in the Bahamas.

But I have no experience from Long Island Sound to points north up into Maine. Looking at charts and just scrolling up various rivers and coves it seems in a lot of places its pretty deep. Especially into Maine. With a big tidal swing.

So a basic question: from practical experience from anyone who knows the waters, how much chain plus rode do you find you actually use? Yeah, more is better for options. How much do you find you actually use?

Or in practice, is it just cruising from marina to marina, or mooring ball?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2007 Mariner 37 which is essentially same boat. My boat sat stern heavy and your boat may be different, but I put 350 ft of 5/16th chain on my boat and it is much better balanced fore and aft. ?

One Helmsman 38E owner on the west coast had an anchor too long for the windlass which was installed by a previous owner. The anchor would pop the chain off the windlass when it came up over the bow. So, length will matter on your choice.

Yep. Saw that thread.

I checked length vs others and didn't see an issue. I further asked Scott, and he wasn't aware of any problems, but did advise to stick with his bow roller and not get the Ultra bow roller. I didn't know they made one, so I looked it up and had no interest in that. So I should be good to go if I continue with the choice.

I have a 2007 Mariner 37 which is essentially same boat. My boat sat stern heavy and your boat may be different, but I put 350 ft of 5/16th chain on my boat and it is much better balanced fore and aft. ?

Wow. No kidding. Fascinating.

I am left wondering what differences may exist with your vintage vs the new ones that may impact this. Any ideas?

Yep. Saw that thread.

I checked length vs others and didn't see an issue. I further asked Scott, and he wasn't aware of any problems, but did advise to stick with his bow roller and not get the Ultra bow roller. I didn't know they made one, so I looked it up and had no interest in that. So I should be good to go if I continue with the choice.

Good deal. There are a couple of good posts on the AGLCA web site about anchors, also.

I'm not a member. Not planning to do the Loop, at least at the moment. I can't access posts without being a member. If you see something about the Ultra, I'd appreciate seeing it

200' of chain and an additional 100' of three strand rode should work well for the New England anchorages up to and including Maine waters where you will have a good 10' of tidal flow not to mention some wonderful gunk holes to enjoy. Always a good idea to anchor at low water in those areas to avoid surprises later. You generally will have good, thick mud.

I'm not a member. Not planning to do the Loop, at least at the moment. I can't access posts without being a member. If you see something about the Ultra, I'd appreciate seeing it

The consensus there seems to be Mantus, Rocna , and Fortress in no particular order.

Last edited:
Reactions: FWT
Chain

Yeah, there is always the "you never know" logic. Something to that, for sure. But I guess I'm trying to cut through that at the moment.

I'm asking for help because all I have to go on now is just studying charts online. I spent a few hours on it last night. I could not find anyplace in Long Island Sound up into Cape Cod where more than 200 ft would be useful.

But then I skipped past that into Maine, and saw in Bar Harbor there were two marked fields with 70-90 ft depths. An area that also has big tidal ranges. Wow. And so you go from 200 being plenty, to 400 ft maybe not enough. Or just accept that in those waters its marina or rented moorings.

Hence my request for local knowledge.

We cruised Maine to Florida and out to the Bahamas on a 40' sailboat. We carried 300 feet of chain followed by rope. We never used anything but chain.

I'm pretty conservative so I never anchored in 70-90' of water.

I consider bridles just snubbers by another name. Even though used by some (not on any boat I have ever sailed) to prevent yawing at anchor, they are removing the stress from the windlass and from the fiber (or chain) rode where it runs over the hawse or rub rail. You should always have to deal with at least the single-leg bridle/snubber - no escaping that little chore. I prefer all-chain rode with length to suit depths where I normally anchor enabling me to use quite a bit of it each time we anchor.

Why not just tie off the nylon rode to a cleat to relieveve stress on the windlass? That's what I do and then add a simple chafe protection sleeve over the rope to protect it from wearing especially if the wind is up.

Why not just tie off the nylon rode to a cleat to relieveve stress on the windlass? That's what I do and then add a simple chafe protection sleeve over the rope to protect it from wearing especially if the wind is up.

I generally do the same. Although in heavy weather, it may be desirable to unload the pulpit / roller assembly by using a bridle.

We cruised Maine to Florida and out to the Bahamas on a 40' sailboat. We carried 300 feet of chain followed by rope. We never used anything but chain.

I'm pretty conservative so I never anchored in 70-90' of water.

Great info. Thanks

I run 100’ 5/16” HT chain and 300’ 5/8” 3 strand New England rope. I can anchor pretty much where ever.

Just my humble opinion, but unless you are committed to all chain, I go by the rule of thumb that about a boat's length of chain follwed by nylon is sufficient. Say 50' chain and a few hunderd feet of nylon. I suggest 8-plait rope and New England makes a great one.
That way you are almost always likely to deploy all your chain and have the benefit of the nylon rode after that. 8-plait stores much easier than 3-strand.

We cruise the New England coast extensively and find that 200 feet of chain is perfectly adequate in most places except for Provincetown (70 feet deep), so far. There's a long breakwater in P-Town near the transient moorings that is caked with decades of bird poop and the stench is good incentive to anchor far away... The staggering Summer transient slip prices ($450 a night for us) are also good incentive to anchor and the anchorage across the bay is beautiful and peaceful at night.

We have 300 feet of 8-plait rope that we add to our chain (150 feet deployed, 150 feet in reserve for a squall) when we anchor in P-town. It cost less than one night in a slip. 8-plait rope stores compactly and we keep it in a duffel bag in the cabin after we rinse it off with fresh water and dry it out in the sun for a few days.

We have 300 feet of 8-plait rope that we add to our chain (150 feet deployed, 150 feet in reserve for a squall) when we anchor in P-town. It cost less than one night in a slip. 8-plait rope stores compactly and we keep it in a duffel bag in the cabin after we rinse it off with fresh water and dry it out in the sun for a few days.

rookie question.... when mixing and matching like that....adding the rope, adding the extra chain.... how do most folks make the connections? knots? shackles?

rookie question.... when mixing and matching like that....adding the rope, adding the extra chain.... how do most folks make the connections? knots? shackles?

hmm, good question, never thought of that. The bitter end of the chain would have to be disconnected from the boat and I am guessing the rope attached with a shackle. Why not just have the rope spliced in permanently? Some of my rope will likely never see the water, but I don't see the harm in having it in the locker.

thimbles and shackles on the rope to the boat. shackle and thimble (rope end) to the anchor.

Forgot, another thimble and shackle where it is attached to the boat. Make the line long enough so you can cut loose the anchor on deck, near the windless.

Last edited:
I setup a new rode with 50' of 3/8 chain and 300' of 5/8 plait line.

I anchored at 130' for fishing and found out that the rope was slipping on the windlass while retrieving. i ended up using the drum till i got to the chain.

I added more chain using that link connector and that seems to work fine.

My chain is painted bright red on the last 10 feet. It is tied to the U-bolt in the anchor locker with 10 feet of 3/8" rope. When I need to add rope to the chain, I run the chain almost all the way out (using the red paint as a warning), lock it down with my chain stopper, then run the remaining chain out on to the fore deck. I untie the 3/8" safety rope from the chain, and connect my 300 feet of rope (which is eye-spliced) to it with a shackle. At this point it's easy enough to let out all the rope I need, the weight of the chain makes it happen quite quickly, until the chain is all on the bottom anyway.

I retrieve the rope portion of my rode with the capstan on my windlass, then do the opposite of the steps above with the chain stopper and the safety rope. Some of my boating friends don't have capstans and they suffer quite a bit when they start lifting the chain off the bottom., but they can do it.

My chain is painted bright red on the last 10 feet. It is tied to the U-bolt in the anchor locker with 10 feet of 3/8" rope. When I need to add rope to the chain, I run the chain almost all the way out (using the red paint as a warning), lock it down with my chain stopper, then run the remaining chain out on to the fore deck. I untie the 3/8" safety rope from the chain, and connect my 300 feet of rope (which is eye-spliced) to it with a shackle. At this point it's easy enough to let out all the rope I need, the weight of the chain makes it happen quite quickly, until the chain is all on the bottom anyway.

I retrieve the rope portion of my rode with the capstan on my windlass, then do the opposite of the steps above with the chain stopper and the safety rope. Some of my boating friends don't have capstans and they suffer quite a bit when they start lifting the chain off the bottom., but they can do it.

Thank you

This is exactly the plan I am migrating towards at the moment. 200 ft of the standard chain, which seems to be almost always sufficient. Buy and store additional rope rode for use on the rare occasions it is needed. Your description of process is excellent. Thanks.

Just my humble opinion, but unless you are committed to all chain, I go by the rule of thumb that about a boat's length of chain follwed by nylon is sufficient. Say 50' chain and a few hunderd feet of nylon. I suggest 8-plait rope and New England makes a great one.
That way you are almost always likely to deploy all your chain and have the benefit of the nylon rode after that. 8-plait stores much easier than 3-strand.

I won't say "committed", but definitely a strong lean there. All chain preferred and 200 ft seems sufficient almost always. Back that up with stored additional rope rode for those rare occasions when it isn't. Stored elsewhere, it won't be at the bottom of wet chain, and then try to use degraded rode just when its most needed.

We cruise the New England coast extensively and find that 200 feet of chain is perfectly adequate in most places except for Provincetown (70 feet deep), so far. There's a long breakwater in P-Town near the transient moorings that is caked with decades of bird poop and the stench is good incentive to anchor far away... The staggering Summer transient slip prices ($450 a night for us) are also good incentive to anchor and the anchorage across the bay is beautiful and peaceful at night.

Excellent info on a lot of levels.

As for the P-town piece, great info apart from the anchor rode info. I was in Cape Cod (land side) early this summer on a getaway. Did a day trip to P-town since everyone said go. My wife and I left there saying it was "fine" but over rated. Certainly not a destination for us worthy of $450 per night. The location makes it seem to be hard to avoid when going up the coast unless Wellfleet fits into the timetable well. We will probably give it a go one day, but will definitely be planning to use your anchor tip.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom