Help needed with windlass location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewc

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Present 46
Hello,
I have a 1986 Albin 34 that has been a labor of love for me over the past 3 years. My current project that I am attempting to accomplish is adding a windlass. My Albin apparently had a windlass at some point in its history. The wires are still in the locker and the old switches are in the lower helm area. My challenge is figuring out what type of windlass was used and how did the chain/rode drop into the locker. There are no openings into either anchor locker other than the the top hatch. There is room under the deck if I need to mount part of the mechanism below deck, but the lockers are divided up with a half wall directly on the center. I'm not certain how I can get the chain/rode to fall Currently I am the windlass and I simply open the starboard locker feed the chain into it as I pull the anchor up the chain and anchor My back would greatly appreciate any any suggestions!!

Attachments

• anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 27
The size of the old wires will help identify the size of the old windlass. Smaller gage wire might indicate a small drum type used to pull a rope rode.
If your going to use a large amount of chain and good size anchor a good choice might be the Lofrans Tigress.

Attachments

• D66B71F9-5B0C-42E5-9AB8-3B5C579B6AE0.jpg
    D66B71F9-5B0C-42E5-9AB8-3B5C579B6AE0.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the windlass suggestion, but the bigger problem I have is getting the chain/rode to fall in the right locker. If I mount the windless dead center and cut the corresponding hole in the deck for the chain to drop down, it will at best castle up next to the board that divides the left and right lockers. I need the chain to return another 6-8 inches to the right of where a windlass would be placed. Does that make sense?

I would move the board or put a 45 degree board on top of the center board or see if you could fabricate a chain pipe to direct your primary anchor rode.

I'll give that a try. Thanks!!

Not sure it helps, but here's how my Willard 36 is configured to guide the rode into the chain locker (refit underway, thus the construction pic).

You can see there is a PVC pipe that guides the anchor chain down to the anchor locker in the forefoot of the keel. Because the keel is narrow at this point, it holds the rode very securely, though access isn't great via bottom of open cabinet. I may have a small access panel installed beneath the cabinet door just above the V-Berth. "Fall" is also significant so the road tails nicely.

Peter
Anchor Locker.jpg

Back
Top Bottom