Gypsy for Maxwell Nilsson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstauffer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenus
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
Looking for a 5/16" chain gypsi (chain wheel) for a Maxwell Nilsson anchor windlass Model VWC700 or VO700.

Thanks

Were you ever able to source a new gypsy?

I am also in need of the same one.

Could you take a picture of your old gypsy or give me a link to a parts diagram or some dimensions? This would be a long shot, but I have a new gypsy that I bought inexpensively thinking it might fit my windlass. It didn't. If it is the right one, we could easily work something out.

Tator

Tator,

I have attached my chain wheel that is for 1/4" chain that I am told is indicative of the '111' stamped on the wheel itself as pictured in Picture 2.

My chain wheel is 4 3/4 in diameter, 3" in height and 7/8 shaft.

I have reached out to a couple of vendors to include M/N and spent too much time researching what my windlass model is. I uneducated deduction is that I need a 105 wheel to accommodate my new 5/16 HT chain. If your wheel is accommodating to those dimensions, I would certainly be intrigued by your offer.

Thank you!

Cory

Attachments

• 81B70AAB-4D61-4AB1-869E-2BA1FD06C979.jpg
    81B70AAB-4D61-4AB1-869E-2BA1FD06C979.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 82B450DD-4DED-4B01-AB1D-FB19873A965A.jpg
    82B450DD-4DED-4B01-AB1D-FB19873A965A.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 99A57985-7F60-4872-B5AD-04F1D2C22ADC.jpg
    99A57985-7F60-4872-B5AD-04F1D2C22ADC.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 12
I just realized that I had dropped it off on consignment at a place in Poulsbo. I called them and they still have it. I will be going by there tomorrow and can measure it and will bring it back if I think it might work. It does not have the pawl (teeth) on the side. Is that integral to the gypsy?

Tator

Just got back from Poulsbo and it was a no go. Went through their pile of gypsies and didn't see anything that would work. From your photo it looks like there are bushings pressed in to the pawl. I did see one gypsy that had a pawl on the side but was a larger diameter in the middle and no bushings. You might want to measure the o.d. of the bushing as perhaps you might come across one without the bushing. As an aside, they did have an Ideal horizontal windlass for $275. I've heard good things about that make. It's Longship Marine, (360) 779-2378.

Tator

Tator I really appreciate your effort! I’ve heard good things too about Ideal. I’m afraid the ‘not wanting to’ part of me doesn’t want to pull out a good windlass until I have exhausted all efforts in sourcing a new chain wheel.

Thank you again and have a great weekend!

Any half decent foundry should be able to cast a new chainwheel if they are unavailable new off the shelf.

So...phone call to Maxwell, email to Nilsson and both do not have a chain wheel for my apparent old windlass.

Are chain wheels interchangeable between windlass manufacturers as long as the shaft is same diameter? I don't want to buy a new windlass when mine still works but chain wheel is not supported by its manufacturer any longer. I may take Simi60's suggestion and hit up my local machine shop and see what, if anything they can do with my wheel.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom