Galvanizing - what to look for? Anchor & Chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Is there any way to tell what anchors or chain have high quality galvanizing?

I recently posted an anchor shackle video by Steve Goodwin on S/V Panope. I've watched a couple dozen of his videos and realized he had a recurring theme on galvanizing - some anchors are better than others, and generally that galvanizing quality has diminished over the years. The sailors on "Gone with the Wynns" recently reported they believe they were snookered when they bought new anchor chain 2-years ago - they thought it was Acco but was not, and it rusted horribly in two short years. Turns out the marine store that sold it said it was the same spec as Acco, but apparently a knock-off brand.

Warm, salty water eats this stuff up in short order - wondering if there is collective wisdom.

Peter

Make sure it actually is ACCO chain and the galvanizing will be good. Cheap Chinese chain on the other hand is a crap shoot. I would return the bad chain to the retailer and get some genuine ACCO chain.

+1 onthe ACCO chain.

The other thing I figured out was that next time the chain starts rusting, just replace it. While regalvanizing a one piece anchor (Bruce) worked well and was economical, there are extremely few places that have the required shaker basket to do the chain properly. Next time I'll buy new.

Ted

I always wondered how chain was re-galvanized. Shaker bucket makes sense.

But if I am candid, I don't really know much a out galvanizing at all

Peter

We've re-galvanized anchor chain twice. In both cases, the galvanizing lasted about 80% of new quality chain at ~25% of the cost.

The last time we replaced our chain instead of re-galvanizing. The facility in north FL didn't have the shaker/tumbler for chain. The manager warned me that links would be galvanized together and I would have to break them apart. He also said, since we have been painting the chain, they would have to charge us to sand blast the paint off as part of the prep. We have a friend with a Port Supply account and went with Accor chain.

The best thing I can tell you regarding chain price is to shop around at fall boat show sale time. My best price for half a keg (200') of 3/8" chain came from Defender, including freight.

Ted

About one year ago, I galvanized about 120' of HT 5/16" chain. Emerald Galvanizing in Seattle is the only area shop that does this.

They have a centrifuge that keeps chain and other small items from clumping.

The owner reported at the time, that they were seeing a few orders for re-galvanizing new chain. The issue seems to be Chinese chain that only has minimum galvanization.

For WESTERLY, The ACCO chain purchased 12 years ago is still going good, the Chinese chain that I purchased in 2017 lasted for 2 years before needing re-galvanization.

This appears to be an area where you truly get what you pay for.

I bought new Arco chain from West Marine, I only got about 4 years from it before it was Rusty. Disappointed and unimpressed

For WESTERLY, The ACCO chain purchased 12 years ago is still going good, the Chinese chain that I purchased in 2017 lasted for 2 years before needing re-galvanization.

I bought new Arco chain from West Marine, I only got about 4 years from it before it was Rusty. Disappointed and unimpressed

Its like bloody trip advisor. (-;
Half of the reviews say the best hotel, half say its shite.

We use Australian made PWB
After 6 mths of full time use there is noticeable degradation of galv
We no longer end for end it, that was a bad mistake, instead we just feed out longer new minimums so as to keep that chain dragging through sand and coming up clean

In the testing below, some of the better galv jobs have been on Chinese chains as have some of the strongest - I suspect from my comparing chain galv side by side that it would be titan/cmp that is the better of the tested ones, but unfortunately for us, it only comes in shorter lengths so would require a joiner for us.

In preparation of switching to the better quality Chinese chain I have bought a box of ACCO c link joiners (made in Japan) but several months ago got another 80m of Oz made chain that was water stained for 1/2 price so as yet, have not tried them.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/anchoring-mooring/galvanized-coatings-test

Chain – Cox Engineering

Regalvanising chain – Cox Engineering

We did intend to get the old chain regalved on our way back from our trip up north but the half that we are using does not go through the chain wheel as well as the unused 1/2 so suspect it has slightly deformed with use .
I'll chop it and use a joiner , with soft shackle backup, into the new length.

Last edited:
Its like bloody trip advisor. (-;
Half of the reviews say the best hotel, half say its shite.

We use Australian made PWB
After 6 mths of full time use there is noticeable degradation of galv
We no longer end for end it, that was a bad mistake, instead we just feed out longer new minimums so as to keep that chain dragging through sand and coming up clean

In the testing below, some of the better galv jobs have been on Chinese chains as have some of the strongest - I suspect from my comparing chain galv side by side that it would be titan/cmp that is the better of the tested ones, but unfortunately for us, it only comes in shorter lengths so would require a joiner for us.

In preparation of switching to the better quality Chinese chain I have bought a box of ACCO c link joiners (made in Japan) but several months ago got another 80m of Oz made chain that was water stained for 1/2 price so as yet, have not tried them.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/anchoring-mooring/galvanized-coatings-test

Chain – Cox Engineering

Regalvanising chain – Cox Engineering

We did intend to get the old chain regalved on our way back from our trip up north but the half that we are using does not go through the chain wheel as well as the unused 1/2 so suspect it has slightly deformed with use .
I'll chop it and use a joiner , with soft shackle backup, into the new length.
Thanks Simi. Good PS links. I miss those guys (I know, they're still around, but a fraction of their former self)

The Wynns, who's chain was horribly rusty after two years in the south pacific, stated they thought they had purchased ACCO but, upon complaining, discovered the retailer had sold them chain that supposedly met same specification as ACCO. Aka, a knock-off.

Its best to decide just who the chain MFG is that you prefer then purchase a drum from a local distributor or the MFG direct if you can.

Not only will it be cheaper, the new chain should have a factory oversized link at each end.

This allows the use of a proper sized rated shakle .

Chain does not go bad in the drum , or you can sell any excess .

Not only will it be cheaper, the new chain should have a factory oversized link at each end.

This allows the use of a proper sized rated shakle .

If you're going for G70 chain, that's important. But for BBB / G30 / G43, using a grade B shackle 1 size up will get plenty of strength and fits without an oversize link. The oversize link may allow use of a cheaper shackle though. As an example, 5/16" G43 is rated at 3900 lbs WLL / 11,700 UTS. A 3/8" Crosby G-209A shackle fits the chain just fine and is rated for 4400 lbs WLL / 19,800 UTS. So the shackle is a good bit stronger than the chain.

Back
Top Bottom