It finally happened to us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is also one of those unplanned for situations where the tripping slot on the shanks of the Super Sarca, (and I think the Manson Supreme also has one), can save the day.

My Manson Supreme has one of those slots. I've never used it as the connection point for the rode because I'm afraid I'd pull out the set if the tide or wind reversed.

Do you mean you use it that way, or only for a trip line?

Anyone else? Should I be using it?

But it was a CQR, so not a big loss. :)

I used to keep an old CQR for our trips to the Bahamas that I would put on whenever we anchored in Little Shark River (in the Everglades).

Because, I knew, if it got hung up, I wasn't diving to get it loose! :D

....looking over and seeing the sign "Cable Crossing" that you missed in the dark the night before!

The Navionics charts do mention it being a cable-crossing area.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@14&key=g{jnF`narM

Though if you look at the ENC charts from NOAA I'm not sure how readily you'd be able to discern that. That and there doesn't seem to be a way to send a location link for a specific point.

https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/ENCOnline/enconline.html

When the OP first posted last week, I also looked at the Navionics Chart and saw those “numerous snags“ notes shown on the chart. I was curious, because I may travel up that way eventually, including the Delta.

When the OP first posted last week, I also looked at the Navionics Chart and saw those “numerous snags“ notes shown on the chart. I was curious, because I may travel up that way eventually, including the Delta.

It's not on my travel itinerary any time soon, as I'm on the opposite coast. But it's curious how the chart shows that area vs satellite views. I suppose I'm fortunate that most of my boating areas have pretty clear chart info, and relatively insignificant tidal changes. Other places though, yikes.

It's happened to us several times. Twice we hooked an abandoned anchor and chain. We managed to rescue the anchors and sold them. Another time, we snagged a hurricane cable.

I hooked a big electrical cable in the Bahamas one time. Evidently it was known to everyone but me that this was a bad place to anchor. Guess I missed it on the chart.

It was pretty terrifying diving down to dislodge the anchor from that big cable, thinking I would get shocked and killed. Some Bahamian guys came by and said “Hey mon don’t anchor here! There’s a big electric cable down there!” ?*♂️

Our rivers, bays and anchorages are literally a garbage dump. If the area has not been dredged and has been in the same place for a number of years there is no telling what is down there.

A number of years ago an ore boat in Duluth was coming into a turn up the Cluquet river a bit too hot and with the current high he needed to drop his Port anchor to make the swing.When he retrieved his anchor there was a car hooked to it complete with two bodies.It solved a missing persons case which was almost 20 years old.

pete

I think pulling up two dead bodies in a car wins the bragging rights! I'd love to have heard the verbal exchange between the crew and the Captain as the anchor came up.....

My Manson Supreme has one of those slots. I've never used it as the connection point for the rode because I'm afraid I'd pull out the set if the tide or wind reversed....

Yeah, don't want to trust those slots requiring resetting when tidal currents change. Leave slots for lunch hooks.

Some anchors have a hole in the shank at its elbow, or in the fluke for a tripping line. On some anchors, if you have it above the water you can attach a line to that hole and cleat it, easy the rode and the anchor will upset, dropping the cable. On a Bruce you'd probably have to help it upset but it might still work.

My Manson Supreme has one of those slots. I've never used it as the connection point for the rode because I'm afraid I'd pull out the set if the tide or wind reversed.

Do you mean you use it that way, or only for a trip line?

Anyone else? Should I be using it?

All I can say is I used that slot, with the correct type of shackle, all the time on my Super-Sarca, and to my knowledge never had it trip when we didn't want it to. However, the S-Sarca reset so quickly anyway, I suppose it may have, but didn't comprominse the set enough to be noticed. The real point of using it all the time however, is you are never going to know, in advance, just when the anchor is going to foul, and need the trip to work.
There are some folk on here so paranoid about the possibility of it tripping when you don't want it, so bolt the slot off, or go for a different anchor. I just refer everyone back to my highlighted statement above.

Yeah, don't want to trust those slots requiring resetting when tidal currents change. Leave slots for lunch hooks.

For example, here's dear old Mark, who relies on a Claw type anchor, repeating the same tired old mantra about reverse currents unsetting the anchor with the trip slot. Mark, everywhere we anchor in Moreton Bay here off Brisbane the current reverses every 6 hours, and is where I did all my anchoring. I refer you to my post above. :flowers:

The Slot of Fear

For example, here's dear old Mark, who relies on a Claw type anchor, repeating the same tired old mantra about reverse currents unsetting the anchor with the trip slot. Mark, everywhere we anchor in Moreton Bay here off Brisbane the current reverses every 6 hours..
Same in Sydney,and the breeze usually reverses to the west overnight as well. But still "no slot caused upset without reset" of my Super Sarca,with the much feared slot in use.
Right now I`ll swap it for a no.5 Excel, as it doesn`t fit the new boat.

We picked up a power line one night, next to the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, after anchoring next to the bridge after dark

Nothing like hearing the windless groan and slow down before pulling a thick power cable out of the water, and looking over and seeing the sign "Cable Crossing" that you missed in the dark the night before! :D

We finally looped a line around it from bow pulpit, cleated it off, then let the anchor down, then pulled it free and in, and then had to cut the line, it so tight on the cleats.

We've had essentially the same situation several times, with different stuff.

We tie off one end, and slip-knot the other; a yank on the bitter end and it falls away.

(I hate to cut any line, especially if I've carefully whipped both ends!)

The Navionics charts do mention it being a cable-crossing area.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@14&key=g{jnF`narM

Though if you look at the ENC charts from NOAA I'm not sure how readily you'd be able to discern that. That and there doesn't seem to be a way to send a location link for a specific point.

https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/ENCOnline/enconline.html

That was it. We were anchored somewhere near that round "DOL" location. We were actually tied to the dolphin on the other side earlier that night. :D

This was around 1995, and we didn't even a chart plotter on that boat. And, I don't think we even had a great paper chart with us.

Last edited:
That was it. We were anchored somewhere near that round "DOL" location. We were actually tied to the dolphin on the other side earlier that night.
Dolphin?

Well I have to chime in and let you know that the CA. Delta is loaded with obstacles and surprises. I have pulled up 3 lost anchors snagged on a cable twice ( different locations) ��. And had to cut anchor rode once. I have since changed the anchor to Chain attachment using a heavy zip tie at the shank and a shackle at the crown . It reduces the sticking force to just one side of the anchor but it hasn’t been a big problem. It holds well. If I get snagged again I’ll be pulling straight up against the zip tie. If it breaks the pulling force should switch to the crown side. That’s the hope anyway.

Attachments

• 6794B1AD-95BD-48C3-9F29-37EF42914A83.jpeg
    6794B1AD-95BD-48C3-9F29-37EF42914A83.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 7AE7BC69-9C6B-49DD-AC4D-BC33514F0D03.jpeg
    7AE7BC69-9C6B-49DD-AC4D-BC33514F0D03.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 27
  • D2272125-1826-499F-9210-9B957BB4EB8D.jpeg
    D2272125-1826-499F-9210-9B957BB4EB8D.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 33
Well I have to chime in and let you know that the CA. Delta is loaded with obstacles and surprises. I have pulled up 3 lost anchors snagged on a cable twice ( different locations) ��. And had to cut anchor rode once. I have since changed the anchor to Chain attachment using a heavy zip tie at the shank and a shackle at the crown . It reduces the sticking force to just one side of the anchor but it hasn’t been a big problem. It holds well. If I get snagged again I’ll be pulling straight up against the zip tie. If it breaks the pulling force should switch to the crown side. That’s the hope anyway.

If you are anchoring in the same waters all the time, consider a maybe setup less susceptible to accidental activation of your tripping mechanism. That would be a trip line somewhat longer than the water depth plus hawse height rigged to the crown and zip tied with LIGHT ties right up the shank and once or twice to the rode. Just a thought.

If you are anchoring in the same waters all the time, consider a maybe setup less susceptible to accidental activation of your tripping mechanism. That would be a trip line somewhat longer than the water depth plus hawse height rigged to the crown and zip tied with LIGHT ties right up the shank and once or twice to the rode. Just a thought.

I actually fish Solo quite a bit and the single line has worked well. I couldn’t imagine handling 2 lines every time I moved . No windlass YET. ??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom