Extending your anchor rode while anchored

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
What knot, 5/8 three strand to 5/8 three strand would you use if you where anchored, Ground tackle deployed to it maximum and you needed to add more line to get more scope? Bowline to bowline knots? Adding say another 100ft or so.

Bowline to bowline.....

Used them exclusively when tying assistance towlines together. Had them melt in place from pulling rather than fail or being unable to untie (except from the melted parts which would happen in almost any knot of hitch where friction happens).

Back to back bowlines with a safety on each one.

Bowlines are a great knot but if you want to be absolutely sure that it won’t come undone in a loaded/unloaded situation I use a safety. If it will be under constant load it won’t come undone. But loaded and then unloaded repeatedly it might come undone. Leave the bitter end long enough to put a half hitch around the side of the bowline loop and snug the half hitch tight. That is the safety.

Reactions: FWT
Rosendahl aka zeppelin bend was created for just that purpose. Easier and faster to tie, won’t jam or slip and easy to untie.

Two bowlines would be my choice as well. I would use a double fisherman if I wasn’t going to untie it.

Rosendahl aka zeppelin bend was created for just that purpose. Easier and faster to tie, won’t jam or slip and easy to untie.

I don’t know about faster. I can tie a bowline in about 1 second with 2 hands. With 1 hand it takes me about 4 seconds. I can tie it behind my back and in the dark just as easily, but then I used to teach marlinspike.

I didn’t teach marlinspike, but like you I can tie a bowline in 1 sec. two bowlines with two securing half hitches is going to take at least four seconds. This bend only takes one second.

As Scott mentioned about the lines melting, you have to be mindful of the chafe factor. You can put a length of some of that velcro-ed chafe protection in each loop, or double up the loops. Having your spare rode rigged with an thimble at one end is another concept and quicker.

A "safety" is achieved via a double bowline knot (not the same things as doing the above).

One of the “bend” knots will usually work well and evenly distribute potential chaffing and load; characteristics two bowlines won’t achieve. Sheet bend comes to mind.

Have to ask. What do you mean by a "safety"?

A Safety Knot - "Stopping the knot is a practice that terminates the end of the rope to the base of the knot. When a knot is tied there will be a tail of rope (bitter end) coming out of the knot (if the knot is an end knot). When the rope is loaded, the end or tail of the rope will want to move back into the knot. If there is not a long enough end, it may enter the knot, causing the knot to unravel. It is common practice to have 8″ to 12″ (20.3-30.5 cm) of the end extending from the base of the knot to which a stopper knot can be tied. The stopper knot is not load-bearing; it is merely a finishing knot to secure the end of the initial knot. If there is plenty of rope coming out of the base of the knot, the knot will be safe with or without the stopper knot. Stopper knots are a good practice, and the stopper knot will also assist in managing the end of the rope from tangling with other components."

This is said better than I could but we use safety knots to ensure the end does not slip and cause the knot to un-knot... often just a half hitch

Last edited:
Zeppelin bend or Carrick bend. Either are more secure that a bowline. Both will be able to be untied even if you break the rode.

Zeppelin bend or Carrick bend. Either are more secure that a bowline. Both will be able to be untied even if you break the rode.

Secure or stronger?

I just re-read the OP. Make sure you have both the deployed anchor line and the extension well secured before embarking on joining the two. Consider attaching some sort of float to the original rode in case the join fails if you are the belt and suspender type.

If you were prepared in advance a spliced eye with Galv thimble at the ends would be my choice.
Simply join with oversized soft or hard shackle

Stronger, and hence, more secure!

Wikipedia...

"A rope with a bowline retains approximately 2/3 of its strength, with variances depending upon the nature of the rope, as in practice the exact strength depends on a variety of factors."

"Although the carrick bend has a reputation for strength, some tests have shown it to be as weak as 65% efficiency."

Sound pretty close to me....

Double bowline is my choice also leaving long tag ends and tucking them back in several times into the strands of the rope.
Knot chafe not an issue. Knots will be under water.

I don’t know about faster. I can tie a bowline in about 1 second with 2 hands. With 1 hand it takes me about 4 seconds. I can tie it behind my back and in the dark just as easily, but then I used to teach marlinspike.

Now that brought back a memory of the sailing days, one hand bowlines. Now where is that rope, need to re teach.

Sheet bend it or carrick not sure that spelt right lol

Seems like anchor testing, knot testing is all over the map.

Three strand knots and bends act much differently than braided, jacketed lines.

Seems spliced loops still win, so I agree with the lines with end thimbles, shackled together as strongest....whether best.... has to work for you.

On my one sailboat...I did do all my lines with end thimbles....anchor, dock, misc..... did give lots of flexibility with a bucket of shackles.

Last edited:
I have used back to back bowlines. You might invest in a sentinel.

What knot, 5/8 three strand to 5/8 three strand would you use if you where anchored, Ground tackle deployed to it maximum and you needed to add more line to get more scope? Bowline to bowline knots? Adding say another 100ft or so.

Bowline on one, double sheetbend (with a long tail) on the other. This is the combo used when gillnetting in the PNW - spent many a night hanging off the net with this knot combo - never once came close to letting us down

40 years ago (& probably today) the US Coast Guard taught its Boatswain Mates to use a Double Becket Bend, if the 2 lines are of different Diameter. I've always found it works perfect even if they are the same size line.

One of the goals (besides holding lol) would be to spread/disperse the energy of the knot. I'd think it does this nicer than the single contact point of a pair of eye's (bowline or other wise).

If someone wanted to "safety" off the bitter ends to sleep better, that's fine. But, with any strain at all the knot alone will be fine.

Just my Humble Opinion.

Is it possible to tie a bow line without releasing the the bitter end ?.
Would it not be smarter to use a bend so you could have the anchor attached at all times. I suppose if the deployed warp is already secured along its length to a bollard there's little risk.

Bowlines are a great knot but if you want to be absolutely sure that it won’t come undone in a loaded/unloaded situation I use a safety. If it will be under constant load it won’t come undone. But loaded and then unloaded repeatedly it might come undone. Leave the bitter end long enough to put a half hitch around the side of the bowline loop and snug the half hitch tight. That is the safety.

+1

Extending the anchor line. The question's answer is - it depends.

The first "it depends" is the necessary speed in which this has to be done. Consider increasing wave action coupled with increasing winds with a anchor dragging or about to drag. If you can get to the bitter end, bowlines with 1/2 hitches would be the fastest choice.

Second "it depends" is being prepared before you need it - best to splice an eye with a thimble in the bitter end and likewise the extension and use a rated shackle. BUT - this works only if there is a method for the spliced eye on the bitter end to bypass the windlass gypsy.

Third "it depends" in my view, if option 2 is not possible, would be to splice an eye with thimble in the extension, and connect the bitter end with a bowline with 1/2 hitches to the eye. Only one knot to worry about. The splice is stronger than the knot.

But only my suggestions.

I have used the Carrick Bend many times. Even when used to tow another boat, it breaks down easily. I have never had one jam seriously. I believe it is much better than double bowlines. I'll have to look up the Zeppelin as this is the first I have heard of it. Ok The Zep looks good also. I just tried it out. I'll add it to my knot portfolio.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom