Dropping vs Lowering Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alzero
Vessel Make
Hatteras 63' CPMY
I was curious how many let their anchors free fall with the brake or lower it with the motor? In our case we have always motored/lowered it down from the helm. When we rebuilt the windlass we had a bearing installed for just that purpose.

Amended to ask what windlass you have and how old it is? Ours is a vertical GalleyMaid that’s 30+ years old. The anchor is 121lbs with all chain rode.

Last edited:
I always power drop mine. My windlass is plenty fast for that, so I see no reason to fuss with the clutch and free drop it. Much easier to just stand on the bow with the remote.

We have a 20 year old Lewmar, a 77 pound anchor and all chain rode. We always lower ours using the windlass. It's so powerful that it will pull the boat to the anchor when retrieving it.

I have to lower mine the chain to rode joint is subject to hang coming threw the deck and my windless only runs one direction.:banghead: powerwinch I think fortress fx37

I always power down. It's more controlled and predictable and less work. What's not to like about it?

My horizontal Lewmar 1000 is 10 years old and frequently used when sturgeon fishing and cruising...maybe 200+ times per year. It lifts a 33# Claw and 130 ft of chain on a combo rode. Deepest anchoring grounds are 50-55 feet.

Always power down. Usually put out 100-250' of chain using our 1 year old Lofrans Tigres 1500. The 73# Rocna goes down quickly (and returns quickly). Plus I have a self launch anchor roller so can do everything from the pilothouse if needed. Just gotta figure out how to attach the snubber from inside....

Last edited:
Always power down. It’s a 66# S140 Spade anchor, Lofrens Tigres windlass, and all-chain rode.

I have a chain counter so I drop the anchor until the counter tells me it should be on the bottom, then slowly back and lay out the rest of my desired rode length.

I believe I could freewheel it out, but then I would have to go back and forth from the helm to the bow to put the clutch back on....

While there is certainly no guarantee, powering down at least shows you that the motor is working correctly at hat time and might just avoid launching your anchor with a dead windlass. It takes a lot of time and effort to retrieve 200ft of chain manually!!

Great thread!
This is a hot topic between the Admiral and myself, she is of the opinion to always power the anchor down. I on the other hand sometimes freefall the chain on occasion to insure the clutch is not stuck and is in working order. The Admiral is a little freaked out by the flailing chain and worries that the clutch will not stop the chain prior to hitting the bitter end.

Since we trade jobs at times we both get our way
HOLLYWOOD

I power down. Ideal windlass, all chain 3/8" rode, and 73 pound Rocna anchor. The windlass is scary fast on deployment.

Not a fan of free falling anchor chain. If you regulate the deployment speed with the clutch, I guess the risk is limited. I don't see the advantage of excessive speed and worry that a Knot in the chain could jam things up or break something.

Ted

LOL. your missus posted this on the MTOA forum.

Here was my answer:

"You can kind of do both. Use the windlass and when the anchor is on the bottom back down at a suitable speed and the windlass will speed up the pay out."

Power down 90%, all chain rode, 77lb Rockna. I will free wheel if I need to get down in a hurry.

We always power down. Lofrans Tigress with 73lb anchor and all chain.

Ken

Option #3...lower by hand.
+1
And retrieve by hand too, that makes some good exercise :)
While it is working we never used the windlass even in windy condition ( we are anchoring in less than 10m ).

L

While there is certainly no guarantee, powering down at least shows you that the motor is working correctly at hat time and might just avoid launching your anchor with a dead windlass. It takes a lot of time and effort to retrieve 200ft of chain manually!!
In some ways this might be the best reason of the lot - although there are plenty. It just seems all too 'out of control, noisy, and potentially breaky,' letting it rip anyway. But I clearly remember the relief we had not just dropped the anchor, when one time, after the boat had been unused for about 3 months because we had been overseas, I took some friends out. When we reached a favourite anchorage, I confidently went to power the 45lb S-Sarca and all chain rode out, only to achieve...deafening silence..! I had given up giving it a pre-departure trial blip it had always been so reliable. (I went back to doing that thereafter :D)

I tried the switch several times, including the one on the flybridge - no response - the winch had suddenly decided it was time for an overhaul of the brushes. No doubt the longer than usual time sitting unused was a factor. It remained dead as a dodo.

Apologies offered and accepted, we picnicked on the boat on the move. No big deal really just didn't anchor. Saw more scenery than usual, that's all. The friends didn't mind a bit. They might have however, if press-ganged into helping pull heavy, dirty, chain and anchor up I suspect. We returned to the berth without incident, and I removed the winch and took it into the workshop next day. Good as gold again thereafter. But I hate to think how it might have gone if I had just released the clutch and let her rip. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Some anchors will 'kite' if free dropped fast enough. If it crosses over the rode you may have a tangled mess to straighten out. Speaking from experience.

Some anchors will 'kite' if free dropped fast enough. If it crosses over the rode you may have a tangled mess to straighten out. Speaking from experience.
There you go. Yet another reason, although probably only likely with the Danforth/Fortress types.

We use anchors with rope , only a short hunk of chain, and simply drop it overboard with the boat stopped.

We use anchors with rope , only a short hunk of chain, and simply drop it overboard with the boat stopped.
Dido and use 41 year old power winch to retrieve

I, too, have a Galley Maid. The Galley Maid design does not support powering down but I do not remember the reason. I release the clutch and let gravity do the work. Then, I tighten the clutch and pay out the chain as needed. At that point the chain is generally not pulling on the windlass. If you have any questions call Galley Maid and ask to talk to the technical questions guy.
I was curious how many let their anchors free fall with the brake or lower it with the motor? In our case we have always motored/lowered it down from the helm. When we rebuilt the windlass we had a bearing installed for just that purpose.

Amended to ask what windlass you have and how old it is? Ours is a vertical GalleyMaid that’s 30+ years old. The anchor is 121lbs with all chain rode.

We had GalleyMaid install a bearing that allows occasional powering down. The problem is that it is below the deck and is inaccessible for periodic greasing.

Like to power down. All chain, 77lbs Rocna, lewmar. Like to be at the bow and not use remote. Want the boat at dead stop and be able to see and feel when it’s up and down. Then drift back and feel/see it grab. Think the risk of having a pile of chain on the anchor not worth the extra minute or two.

Always power down. It’s a 66# S140 Spade anchor, Lofrens Tigres windlass, and all-chain rode.

I have a chain counter so I drop the anchor until the counter tells me it should be on the bottom, then slowly back and lay out the rest of my desired rode length.

I believe I could freewheel it out, but then I would have to go back and forth from the helm to the bow to put the clutch back on....

We have a Lofrens Tigres also. We like to to power down for the reasons mentioned above, but also because the Tigres lowers the jewels at a rate of about 25 feet in 15 seconds...sort of a poor man’s chain counter.

Lofrens Tigres also. Vulcan 25 kg anchor with 250 feet of chain and 150 feet of rope rode, power down to at least the chain splice (rarely go past that point). I don't have a chain counter, and by powering down, I can see my chain markings easily. I don't see any advantage to the "drop" method?

I had an old Nilsson windlass that was free fall with only power up.
We used to carefully lower it but with all chain the Danforth never sailed.
Once on the sea bed I would let the wind settle us back.

I have a Goode windlass that does not power down. However, I called them and they told me a simple fix that will allow power down. No new parts needed and easy to do. They recommended not using power down however.

I have a Goode windlass that does not power down. However, I called them and they told me a simple fix that will allow power down. No new parts needed and easy to do. They recommended not using power down however.

How much chain do you have?

Back
Top Bottom