Old 07-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #1

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Downsizing chain

Wondering if anyone here has replaced a larger chain size with a smaller size but more length? I am thinking of replacing the 300’ of BBB 3/8 chain we currently use with 400’ of HT 5/16, and wondering what the difference will be in overall size in the anchor locker. I understand about differences in chain, I have multiple wildcats for the different chain sizes, and have the need for the extra length, but I am pretty maxed out on space in the anchor locker so I want some first hand experience in the differences in overall volume between the two rodes before I place an order.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
This gives you a rough idea:

https://www.peerlesschain.com/wp-con...RETAIL_sm2.pdf

Looks like you could get 400 ft in where you now have 300.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: gulf coast
BBB is designed not to kink in the locker. You may not be happy with long link chain
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Based on the volume that fits in a standard drum, the 400 feet of 5/16" will take just a tiny bit less space than the 300 feet of 3/8". The 400 feet of 5/16" will also be about 415 lbs compared to 480 for 300 feet of 3/8", so you'll save some weight too.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
BBB is designed not to kink in the locker. You may not be happy with long link chain
G43 windlass chain is still short link. No windlass I know of takes long link.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #6

Thanks guys. When I was in the business I had barrels of chain shipped in regularly, but never paid much attention to how full the barrels were filled. I would assume they would fill them as full as possible for shipping efficiency, but my track record with assumptions isn’t all that great.....

Anyone actually downsized like this and have real world experience?
Old 07-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
I have upsized from 10 mm to 12 mm but stayed with the same length (110 mts) approx 350 ft. Just have to compensate for the extra weight. Nothing beats chain weight to keep that anchor in place. I would be endeavouring to get in a bit more of the 3/8 chain before downsizing.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
I have upsized from 10 mm to 12 mm but stayed with the same length (110 mts) approx 350 ft. Just have to compensate for the extra weight. Nothing beats chain weight to keep that anchor in place. I would be endeavouring to get in a bit more of the 3/8 chain before downsizing.
Or he could put the weight savings into a bigger anchor and probably come out ahead in the long run.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I’ve always said a pound of anchor is far far more beneficial than a pound of chain. One can effectively use “a few feet of chain” per Chapman’s boat handling book commonly thought of as the boating bible.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #10
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Or step up to a super high holding power anchor such as a Sarca Excel and have the best of both worlds. Could even go the aluminium version to save weight.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #11

I already have the best anchor, I’m just trying to work out the chain issue now.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post

Heck with kinking, how about teepee’ing?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #13
Guru

I use 5/16 G4 with my Maxwell HW2C2200 windlass (24V) and have thought of going to 1/4’’ providing a gypsy is available. My current chain is in fine condition and that is the only reason that I did not search for a gypsy.

1/4’’ G4 I think has enough strength to rip the windlass right off my deck so strength fears are unnecessary. And using 1/4’’ chain will build a shorter teepee in my anchor locker
Old 07-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
The problem I see is that the Krogen 42 specs are:

Length: 42'4"
Weight: 39,500 lbs

That puts you squarely in the 3/8" chain. 5/16" would seem to small for that size and weight boat.

Is less chain and more line a better option? How about wire rope?
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

That puts you squarely in the 3/8" chain. 5/16" would seem to small for that size and weight boat.

Is less chain and more line a better option? How about wire rope?
I doubt there are many boats out there that would see a 5/16’’ g4 chain fail before its attachment onto the boat proper
Old 07-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

By whose standards? Not saying you are wrong (well, I kinda am) but most things written about anchoring are garbage, so I’m wondering where this recommendation comes from? I’m anchoring a boat with the chain, not lifting the boat out of the water.
In all my years of obsessing over anchors and anchoring, as well as participating in multiple highly publicized anchor tests, I have only seen one person post real world data on anchoring loads. I wish I could find the information again to post it up. If someone can show me real data that proves the high loads most people believe exist, I will gladly rethink my opinions. I’m not picking on you specifically, these misconceptions get posted in practically every anchoring thread on the internet.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Some people think their everyday tackle has to be rated for hurricanes.

Reality is for many boaters, 90 percent of the time you experience X conditions....9 percent you experience 2X for 24 hrs or less and 3X for 12 hrs or less. Rarely do you see even high squall winds and most boaters never anchor in hurricanes.

Pick reasonable numbers to calculate your tackle and happily cruise, knowing that if severe conditions are even remotely possible, plan B is batter up.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #18

We decided to opt for a thinner but longer chain. The disadvantage is a larger swinging circle, and at the same water depth shock loads on the anchor due to swell will be larger (which, however, you can address with good snubbers), but the advantages are that I can anchor safely in deeper water, at a smaller scope, and be fine. If you halve the chain weight per metre, double the chain length, and double the anchor depth, you have the same geometric situation as before, just scaled up by a factor of 2. But the elasticity of the chain will still be twice compared to the twice as heavy chain at half the anchor depth.

The full analysis can be found here:

https://trimaran-san.de/die-kettenku...atiker-ankert/

(In English, not in German )
MathiasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I don’t know what to say.
It’s TMI for me.
I don’t see chain as being “elastic”. No not much of a bungie chord I’m think’in.
I have my own theories on catenary and chain. I’ve posted them and nobody seems to get that and it’s simple compared to this.

Has anybody read more than 5-10 minutes of this? If so what basically is ... or there any recommendations or advice to boaters that anchor.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #20

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
I switched from the older 3/8 that was in my locker to 270ft of 5/16HT. Bought a new gypsy. Works great. Can't tell you how much less space it takes up, but it's definitely less.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote