Dashew's Progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunchaser

Guru
Vessel Name
sunchaser V
Vessel Make
DeFever 48 (sold)
When Steve Dashew was building and selling big sail boats he favored oversize Bruce anchors such as he had on his own S/V, the 80' ketch Beowulf. When the 83' M/V Windhorse was built he went with a big Rocna of around 300#s. His latest personal vessel, a 78' FPB design, will use a 375# Manson Supreme.

He is going up at least 3 anchors in size from the manufacturers charts, likely because he likes very short scope, say less than 3: 1 most of the time.

It would appear bigger is better in Mr Dashew's eyes.

When Steve Dashew was building and selling big sail boats he favored oversize Bruce anchors such as he had on his own S/V, the 80' ketch Beowulf. When the 83' M/V Windhorse was built he went with a big Rocna of around 300#s. His latest personal vessel, a 78' FPB design, will use a 375# Manson Supreme.

He is going up at least 3 anchors in size from the manufacturers charts, likely because he likes very short scope, say less than 3: 1 most of the time.

It would appear bigger is better in Mr Dashew's eyes.

I noticed that. (The switch to Manson.) I wonder why, as he was a strong proponent of the Rocna for a long time. He also used to say that when your anchor was big enough that folks on the dock laughed at you, it was about right.

I heard somewhere a while ago the reason he had a 300# Rocna was only because Rocna wouldn't make him a larger one. Not sure how much if any truth there was to that story but IIRC it was something I read on his blog or website???

I heard somewhere a while ago the reason he had a 300# Rocna was only because Rocna wouldn't make him a larger one. Not sure how much if any truth there was to that story but IIRC it was something I read on his blog or website???

You may have heard that from us, but that's only half true. We talked with them in Morehead City about it and I did post it here somewhere. Rocna was the only company willing to "scale up" their anchor for them. 300 was as big as they could make it at the time, which was big enough for him. His previous anchor (I want to say Bruce) stuck out too far to allow him to spring away from some docks with tall fixed piles. Actually, it was the "wings" of the super-size Bruce that were the issue. He did, however, say the Rocna was, by far, the best anchor he has ever used and worked in every type of bottom. Perhaps only because of its giant size, but 3:1 was about what we saw him use in Taylor's Creek in Beaufort. I have picks :)

I bought the Manson Supreme over the Rocna for the same reason.

The joy of a supersized anchor on tiny scope is with a blow ,

nothing is easier than adding scope.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom