Cost effective anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most expensive anchor you can buy for your boat is cheap by comparison to the cost of getting your boat off the beach and fixing the damage... providing there is enough boat left to repair. I never understood how someone can spent $ 100,000 on a boat and complain about spending $ 500.00 for a anchor. HOLLYWOOD
Thats exactly why we went with the anchor we went with.

COST-EFFECTIVE: economical in terms of tangible benefits produced by money spent.
Cost-effective - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Some people rarely need an anchor that will hold in a gale...others may often put themselves in a position to need one.

Comical.... the argument of which anchor is "best" is almost unanswerable based on testing because there are still a lot of personal issues involved....throw in the term "cost effective" and it makes it SO personal, I really have to smile at most of the answers....:D

The most expensive anchor you can buy for your boat is cheap by comparison to the cost of getting your boat off the beach and fixing the damage... providing there is enough boat left to repair.

I never understood how someone can spent $ 100,000 on a boat and complain about spending $ 500.00 for a anchor.

HOLLYWOOD

Because the $200 anchor works just fine. :)

People have money for expensive boats because they generally do not spend it unnecessarily.

I have a very nice yacht, but I buy my pants at Costco for $12.99 instead of buying Levis for $49.99 :blush: Same thing with the anchor.

Last edited:
Because the $200 anchor works just fine. :)

People have money for expensive boats because they generally do not spend it unnecessarily.

I have a very nice yacht, but I buy my pants at Costco for $12.99 instead of buying Levis for $49.00 :blush:

I guess I wasn't totally clear....
I am not proposing to get the most expensive anchor...

What I was trying to convey was the fact that the anchor is cheap
(a 55lb delta for my O.A. is $ 525.00 new in galvanized but I will admit I found a used one for $ 175.00) insurance vs damaging the boat.

My buddies Nordhavn has a gorgeous Stainless hook on the bow that at 3 times the cost doesn't do anything more than a galvanized one except look good.

The Fortjford anchor that was on the boat was a 105lb piece of ****.. I have never had a anchor that was so hard to set.. it is currently yard art.

Just get a anchor YOU trust.. I could of spent way more for a Rocna or other but I bought a anchor type I personally know and trust

HOLLYWOOD

(a 55lb delta for my O.A. is $ 525.00 new in galvanized but I will admit I found a used one for $ 175.00) insurance vs damaging the boat.

My buddies Nordhavn has a gorgeous Stainless hook on the bow that at 3 times the cost doesn't do anything more than a galvanized one except look good.

The Fortjford anchor that was on the boat was a 105lb piece of ****.. I have never had a anchor that was so hard to set.. it is currently yard art.

Just get a anchor YOU trust.. I could of spent way more for a Rocna or other but I bought a anchor type I personally know and trust

HOLLYWOOD

:thumb::thumb::thumb:.......................................

That's the purpose of this thread. :)

Yep...I took the bait...maybe a name change for the thread..."humorous anchor thread":D

nah...that would be appropriate for ALL anchor threads....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes Hollywood I had the same experience w the Forfjord. Sold mine for $25.

There's only one of us that I can remember off hand that complained about the performance of the Claw anchor .. Marin.

psneeld wrote;
"Some people rarely need an anchor that will hold in a gale." Perhaps most of us or perhaps most all of us don't need that much anchor performance. And when that rare event comes most all of us will have listened to the weather report 99% of the time and will make our way to a good safe harbor and a stout float to tie up to securely.

I'm quite sure that's why there are so few complaints about the Claw's shortcomings. On my trip to Alaska w my previous boat I bought a Claw hearing that the set dependably and thinking that they look stout enough to use on rocky bottoms. The setting performance wasn't flawless but it did set every time. Worked for me (as they say) and I found the Claw to be cost effective as it worked and cost very little. Cost effective.

But as Hollywood pointed out a $500 anchor would be cheap compared to an anchoring disaster. So should we all buy the most expensive anchor we can find? I think not. And if we are really concerned about NEVER dragging or breaking out a double sized Claw is still way cheaper than the high end stuff .... or as many point out .. used.

And something that is a big part of this is that anchor performance is not proportional to anchor cost. Claws don't seem to be really cheap used. I've even seen them on e-bay for more than new. So perhaps the most cost effective anchor should be a used Danforth. I saw this active fishing boat in Ketchikan w the Danforth on bow and asked the skipper why she used the Danforth. She said it came w the boat. Most of us are so unconcerned w anchor performance that we just use the the anchor that came w the boat and is there and at our service at no additional cost or effort. We can even assume that it worked for the PO.

So reconsidering again ... perhaps the most cost effective anchor is the one that came w the boat.

The last anchor I bought was a $40 Danforth. Haven't used it yet but I consider it will probably be a cost effective anchor.

Attachments

• STH71730 copy.JPG
    STH71730 copy.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Remember when buying a used anchor, it probably didn't work for the seller or he wouldn't be selling it. ;)

HOLLYWOOD

I agree completely! :)

Remember when buying a used anchor, it probably didn't work for the seller or he wouldn't be selling it. ;)

Or when he bought the boat it had two and he didn't need two....

Or he wanted a stainless bling anchor.. not a dull galvanized one...

Or the Admiral thought the stainless one on the boat across the aisle looked "pretty"...

Or they wanted a bigger/smaller one...

My "used" Delta still had the Original sticker AND the bar code from West Marine.. I don't know why is was at a used boat crap joint but i do know it was in the back of my truck ten minuets after I spied it .

The guy's comment at the used boat junk place was " I didn't know we had that " and "damn that is a great price"

Looks great and works even better hung off the Ocean Alex.

HOLLYWOOD
:whistling:

Anchors are one of the most stolen items off boats according to several Marine Police depts. I worked with in the USCG.

Go around marinas at night with a rubber boat, dark clothes and a bolt cutter. In an about an hour or so you have several thousand dollars in anchors, they don't have serial numbers, most look brand new, even 100 years old and relatively undamaged they work as good as new...so the market for used anchors is pretty good because you get 99% of the deal for sometimes 75 cents on the dollar and the thief gets a real good markup.

Buy them on Craigs list, e-bay, garage sales, marine flea markets...etc..etc...who knows they are stolen and how do you really prove it?

OK...maybe some or all anchors now are serial numbered (I haven't checked lately but I don't think many are) and some owners may put some kind of markings on theirs (don't know anyone that does)...but used anchors are out there as I have sold quite a few through the years, my boss in the salvage business sells and gives them away like hot cakes.... and tons are sold through the internet.

If I were to purchase one that way...just make sure it looks true and doesn't have any telltale repair marks on it.

Back
Top Bottom