Connecting two pieces of chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpelton

Veteran Member
I have 50 foot of 3/8 BBB along with 300 foot of anchor line. I also have an additional section of 100 feet of 3/8 BBB I’d like to add. What is the best way to connect these two chains? I am running it through a little Lewmar windless.
Thanks,
Bobby

They make links to splice chain. The issue is whether it will go through your windlass. The paws that grab the chain are for specific types of chain, so the link would need to match exactly. Personally, I've never been comfortable with the splice links. IMO, either use the 100' length or buy a new piece to your desired length.

Ted

I used to have a boat equipped with 5/15" BBB all-chain rode, and the connecting link seemed to work OK in my wildcat when required. My smaller current boat has 1/4 G4 chain, and there is no connector link made for it. I took the chain parts I wanted joined to a welder who cut off parts of two links so that he would have the exact length of the original chain when he welded then together after putting them through the end links of the two sections. I sprayed the link with cold galvanizing and voila. I like the method better than the two-part hammered links because I think it is stronger.

I have 50 foot of 3/8 BBB along with 300 foot of anchor line. I also have an additional section of 100 feet of 3/8 BBB I’d like to add. What is the best way to connect these two chains? I am running it through a little Lewmar windless.
Thanks,
Bobby
I would keep the rode with the 50' section of chain as a lunch hook or stern anchor.
Then I would make up a new rode with the 100' section.

I added 100 feet to a 200 foot 5/16 G4 chain with one of those peened links that are widely available on a prior boat. No problems.

Use forged and rated split link joiners.
Crosby and acco do some , the acco ones are made in Japan and seem high quality. (Recently imported a box)
Sikaflex together to keep water out, peen over pins and use a soft shackle as backup will be how I intend to use them.

This gives me the ability to send off the worn 40m/120ft of chain to be regalved and use the other half while waiting.

Last edited:
The problem with the peened links is they are only about as strong as G3 chain, about 1/2 the strength of G4. Crosby rates their 355 link at 1950 lbs working load (5/16 chain). A G4 chain has a working load of 3900 lbs. so you are cutting your strength in half. Backing it up with a soft shackle is probably not a bad idea.

Last edited:
How deep do you typically anchor? If the majority isn't deeper than 20 feet, (5:1 = 100) and you could use the 50 for the stern or sell it or give it away, and use the 100 as the main backed by nylon line. I have about 125-130 feet of chain and another 150 of line. I anchor in between 8-14 feet and rarely go beyond 80 feet of chain.

IF you're deeper, then how much vertical can your windlass actually haul? I doubt if my windlass could lift 100 feet of chain along with the anchor vertically.

IF you're deeper, then how much vertical can your windlass actually haul? I doubt if my windlass could lift 100 feet of chain along with the anchor vertically.

Sounds like you have a terribly undersized windlass

Even the toy sized Maxwell rc8 will lift 600kg
http://www.maxwellmarine.com/gen_rc.php?dimensions

100ft of 8mm chain is 49kg
550kg left for an anchor.

From memory there was at least one fairly lengthy thread about this in the past, with pros/cons of split links, welding, stainless shackles, what fits through the windlass, maintenance etc. I personally stay away from the riveted ones as you lose strength. Good luck! Cheers

Back
Top Bottom