Chain hook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a 1/4" dyneema soft shackle through the chain and then tie the bridle to that with bowlines. They are remarkably chafe resistant and far stronger than the chain (in this case, 5/16) and cost about $2.00 each and take ten minutes to make a new one.

btw, been on the hook with this setup for more than 150 days in the last year, near or on the big pond. Including more than 30 days using 1/8 " ;).

edit: oops, I'm not the first to this party. but it works really really well!

Last edited:
I leave my 2 shackles on the chain at ~90 and ~120 ft all the time and just snap into them as needed when anchoring. They pass through the gypsy without a problem.

Anything beyond ~130 ft gets to the 5/8" Brait rode which gets cleated off without need for a snubber or shackle.

I leave my 2 shackles on the chain at ~90 and ~120 ft all the time and just snap into them as needed when anchoring. They pass through the gypsy without a problem.

That's an interesting approach. So your scope varies a little, but you get to skip a lot of the fiddling of attaching the bridle. Nice.

Anything beyond ~130 ft gets to the 5/8" Brait rode which gets cleated off without need for a snubber or shackle.

sounds like a good idea.

That's an interesting approach. So your scope varies a little, but you get to skip a lot of the fiddling of attaching the bridle. Nice.

It's very simple, clean and fast. Maybe I should record a video of how it works sometime when I have a crewmember aboard to hold the camera.

We’ve had very good luck with the Mantus product. Routinely use two snubbers so not having to untie two knots has been a plus. Also it has never fallen off. Don’t like their anchors but their chain hook is +1 in my book.

+1 - love the Mantus bridle and hook set up.

Back
Top Bottom