Old 01-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
4mo
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nor'Wester
Vessel Model: Navigator 53
Backup anchor choice

I just got a new 88lb Rocca Vulcan for my Navigator 53 and I would like to have a backup. My options are the 60lb Bruce that came with the boat or my 45lb Manson Boss from my old boat. This will be on 80 feet of chain and 200 feet of rode.

The Boss is about the same size fluke size as the new Rocna but the Bruce is heavier. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Jason
4mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Jason,
First off, not an expert, but generally when it comes to anchoring, bigger is better
On Pilitak, we just moved to a 25 kg (55 lb) Vulcan and I moved my 20 kg (45 lb) Rocna to the backup role. For a boat your size, wouldn't a 45 lb anchor be a bit small (light)? Of all the "older" style anchors, Bruce seems to have the best reputation, so if it was me, I would go with the Bruce (of the 2 you mentioned).
Old 01-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I'm partial to claw anchors like your Bruce. The 66 lb Lewmar claw I have, a Bruce knockoff, is my primary and gives me good PNW performance from here to SE AK. I have 3/8" all-chain rode. 3:1 scope is usual unless the wind comes up significantly. This particular anchor has been my primary for 15 years, almost always sets on the first try and has held for me in snotty conditions, albeit at greater scope.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Backup should be a completely different design than the main IMO. This gives it a greater chance of setting where the main struggles. Thus, I would use the Bruce Claw since the Boss is very similar to the Vulcan.

I backup my Vulcan with a Fortress FX37. It's big, light (so easy to deal with) and a completely different design than my Vulcan.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
4mo,
Is the “Bruce” a genuine Bruce brand?
If so it would do.

Re the Boss how does it work for you? We have a member in Sitka that’s had one for years and he’s very happy w it. I would try to use the Boss. But keep all three.

However, Mischief’s point about having different types is very good advice. Can you get the Bruce up from wherever you store it to launch? Is the Bruce mounted on the bow ready to use?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Just to be contrary, but there is personal experience logic here, I'd use the Boss as the back-up. It is a good setter in most bottom types, as is the Vulcan, but more importantly smaller and lighter than the others mentioned. From experience the need to use one's back-up anchor is so rare, smaller and lighter to store - and get out of storage in a hurry, (relevant if you ever did need the back-up) - is better. I never needed to get out my back-up Danforth out in 16 years we had the boat, and anchored out a lot. Just sayin'...
PS. My primary was a Super Sarca...
Old 01-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I carry a back up anchor in case the primary anchor is lost.

If I can't get the Genuine Bruce 66 to set, which I've never experienced, I move to a different spot.

My back up is a Genuine Bruce 44.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Our Bruce #110 has been fantastic in the PNW during the past 2 years since we took over. Our secondary is a Fortress, but it’s not been in the drink yet.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
You are going to like your Rocna Vulcan.

I had a Fortress 37 in the lazarette
Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Unless you are about to sell one of them, on a 53 footer, keep them both
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
4mo
Veteran Member

The Boss is definitely bigger than the Bruce as far as fluke size and width goes.

I'm not sure if the Bruce is an original or a knock off.

The Boss worked great on our 40'er the last couple years so I like that anchor, never used a Bruce before.

I can't imagine going down to haul out another anchor unless I fouled and lost the Vulcan, so I think the only use case for this is if I'm up in the islands and have to cut it, then which would I prefer to use for the rest of the trip until I get back and get a new primary.

I don't see a need to keep them both, I'm not planning on cruising offshore, just the Salish Sea and eventually up the inside passage.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
Guru

4mo wrote;
“ I'm not sure if the Bruce is an original or a knock off. ”

I think all Bruce anchors say “Bruce” on the shank. May be some confusion re a Claw made in Brazil. Says made in Brazil on the shank though.
Most people will embrace the Bruce because of it’s superior metallurgy.
My personal opinion is that most Claws have more throat angle than the genuine Bruce. I think they hold better because of it and may set better too. All Claws are not created equal. But the angle theory just a notion of mine. But if yours had the same throat angle as a Bruce I personally would keep it. But I’m quite sure the Boss has better performance than either the Claw of Bruce version of the Claw. And if you’re a fan of fluke area the Boss may have more fluke area per lb of anchor than any other anchor.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Even though you are cruising "just the Salish Sea and eventually up the inside passage.".

Most anchors are lost due to stump butts, bundle of wire, and dozer tracks around old log dumps.

Toss the cheapest one down in benign conditions in questionable anchorages.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2002 American Tug 23 #24
Backup anchor

Hi,
On my 53 Navigator I kept a Danforth Fortress anchor as my spare. It was used primarily as a stern anchor when late in the season the flood tide on the Columbia River would reach all the way up to Portland.

The advantage the Fortress offered is its aluminum and therefore very light so easy to stow and deploy. Would have been adequate as a primary anchor until I could get somewhere to buy a new primary. My primary was a Delta plow that came with the boat and never let me down. Today I would probably go from a Rocna style anchor as my primary bow anchor.
Pete
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #15
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Our main is a SuperMAX, and our backup is a Fortress... selected partly because it's especially suitable for the soft mud in our nor Chesapeake cruising grounds, but also partly because its more easily stowable than many and because its light enough to use as a kedge if I needed to do that. Err... again.

-Chris
Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
Backup should be a completely different design than the main IMO. This gives it a greater chance of setting where the main struggles. Thus, I would use the Bruce Claw since the Boss is very similar to the Vulcan.

I backup my Vulcan with a Fortress FX37. It's big, light (so easy to deal with) and a completely different design than my Vulcan.
I agree. I have a 40 kg Vulcan and a Fortress FX55. The FX, never used, uses 5/8" line and 40' of chain. All we've ever used is a good primary anchor and rode. The spare remains in its bag, brand new after 12 years.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Our main is a SuperMAX, and our backup is a Fortress... selected partly because it's especially suitable for the soft mud in our nor Chesapeake cruising grounds, but also partly because its more easily stowable than many and because its light enough to use as a kedge if I needed to do that. Err... again.

-Chris
We do exactly the same, only with a Rocan Vulcan as the bower. The Fortress stores easy (flat), is easy to handle (light), and is easy to deploy as a stern anchor which can ben deployed/retrieved easily with the dinghy.

I cannot remember the last time we used it, but it has been at least 10 years.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #18
4mo
Veteran Member

Thanks for the thoughts, but I'm not going to spend $700 on a Fortress as a backup anchor when I currently have two that would work, especially when you point out that you haven't used them in 10 and 12 years respectively.

I think I'll probably go with the Bruce as it will store easier in the engine room with its lower fluke area.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #19
Guru

HaHa great thinking.
Why spend $700 on an anchor I’ll prolly not use.

When I started on this forum (07) many to most anchors were questionable and a few did well. Now most do exceptionally well and only a few are questionable.
We’ve come a long way and there’s not a lot of performance difference in the line-up today. But the differences are important comparatively speaking. Few C and D class anchors. Almost all are B+ and above.
But the differences are meaningful. With cars one looks at speed and handling qualities. With anchors one looks at holding power and handling. Handling as in the ability to set, veer, scope range, mud clinging and rode fouling potential. Plus more.
Most anchor tests basically just test holding power. In 07 that was important because anchors varied quite a bit on holding power and most TF guys were concerned about dragging. Some overly so I think. But now I think I could sit out a 50 knot gale with most new 25lb anchors. And if I dragged it would probably be my seamanship at fault.

So things are way different than they were in 07.
One can get a good education about “handling qualities” of quite a number of anchors watching the thread “Anchor Setting Video’s”. Over 600 replies to watch. And when you buy that new anchor the chance of it dragging are not far from zip.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #20

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
Interesting video on anchoring

I watched an interesting video on anchoring from Practicle Boat Owner out of England. They go over the various types of anchors in some detail.

grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote