Old 02-07-2020, 10:14 PM   #41
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Nobody uses the Maintenance & Systems section anymore? Seems like this would be a good Anchors and Anchoring discussion that would be way easier to find for a TFer looking for info.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Eric, I don't think either uses ballast.
QUOTE=Peter B;844689]Eric, I don't think either uses ballast.[/QUOTE]

Peter the Excel I have on board has the ballast chamber. See pic.

But I was curious re all aluminum anchors w lead ballast. Perhaps the lead chambers are air/water tight to control corrosion.
One thing I like about this ballast anchor is that it's quite compact. It seems small for it's weight. With it's wide fluke and large diameter roll bar the SARCA seems huge. But they weigh about the same.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2809.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 AM   #43
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
When it comes to 180s and such, I think that falls into the category of things you'll always trust more after seeing it work, no matter how much you know it'll be fine beforehand.
If you can excavate TF for the SV Panope anchor tests, you can see them work. Steve did all kinds of set tests, incl scope shortening until failure, and reversal tests with power, and the results for what psneeld terms nexgen anchors was in many cases impressive. Whereas for some older designs, it was less so, some just did not reset.
I think Eric had a link for the tests, he might post it. There were a lot of them, and a summary/compilation. I don`t think anything fared better than a Sarca, but it was not the only good performer,by any means.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:49 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
QUOTE=Peter B;844689]Eric, I don't think either uses ballast.
Peter the Excel I have on board has the ballast chamber. See pic.
[/QUOTE]

OH Dear, sorry Eric, not having had an Excel in my hand so to speak, I was not sure just from the pictures.

However, coming back to the concern of the OP re trusting current/wind change re-sets, I think there is no question the next gen anchors are all much better at that than most older types. Here in Moreton Bay, virtually all the anchorages are in channels, so there is a 180º current/tide direction changes every 12 hours, and the S-Sarca never let us down in re-setting.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #45
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
If you can excavate TF for the SV Panope anchor tests, you can see them work. Steve did all kinds of set tests, incl scope shortening until failure, and reversal tests with power, and the results for what psneeld terms nexgen anchors was in many cases impressive. Whereas for some older designs, it was less so, some just did not reset.
I think Eric had a link for the tests, he might post it. There were a lot of them, and a summary/compilation. I don`t think anything fared better than a Sarca, but it was not the only good performer,by any means.
Here is a link to a summary of Panope's anchor videos:

This is just the summary but there are many more videos.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #46
Guru

Eric, I believe that the alloy anchor is weighted, but not sure with what....the Ground Tackle Marine website doesn’t say (based on my quick look). I guess a follow up call to Nick or Chris there would answer the question!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #47
Guru

Sue,
I’ve never seen an alloy Excel.
I’ll try and call Chris Momday.

Re Steve’s “Anchor Setting Videos” it’s now on page 7 of our anchoring section. It’s easy to find as it’s the only thread w over 600 replies.

Re the reversals there’s a 209 reply thread on this subject. Page 4

Old 02-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #48
Guru

The alloy versions do exist! I love that it’s a functional replacement for my 66# Spade anchor but weighs only about 25# and comes apart into two pieces. It’s very easy to store and handle ....
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #49
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The worst, cheapest anchor set properly with lots of scope will usually hold better than the best anchor not set properly on less than ideal scope.

An oversized worst, cheap anchor will usually hold better than an undersized best anchor. A big enough rock used for an anchor will probably hold too.

There is too much emphasis on having the "best anchor" that will magically keep you in place irregardless of skill or technique.

Many boaters consider and purchase anchors for the "bling" factor.

Anchor selection should be based on the type of bottom that you may encounter, whether anchoring in tidal conditions where the boat does an 180 every 6 hours, the strongest wind that may be encountered and other factors.

I see every conceivable anchor being deployed by other boats while we are anchored. Some that I would never choose. We don't see that many boats dragging when the wind picks up.

Most dragging we see are right after anchoring. The result of inadequate scope and/or poor setting or no setting at all.

Seasoned boaters have their favorite anchor and simply upsize as they move up in boat size. If you have the same brand anchor for a long time, you will become accustomed to it's setting, handling and ideocycracies.

There are a lot of boaters, mostly sailboaters, that use CQR's without issues. I'd try out your CQR before replacing it. Anchor somewhere, preferably with wind, earlier in the day and sit through 2 tide changes and see how the anchor behaves.

Instead of buying a new anchor, I'd go to all chain instead of the chain/rope rode that you have.
Great post, and a big ditto from me!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #50
Guru

City: North Carolina for now

Sustained for a couple hours or so, from enough directions to wrap the ensign. Grand Banks 49MY. CQR anchor on all chain with a makeshift snubber secured by a rolling hitch. Off Indian Key in the 10,000 Islands, Florida.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #51
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Jim,
My advice would be to find a "Next Gen" anchor that "fits your bow" set up! I would also suggest that you not worry too much about price differences between anchor brands. Why, because you are really only concerned with the difference, and that amount is minor when it comes to the value of your boat, equipment, and to say nothing about your own well being and peace of mind!
If Spade, Rocna, Vulcan, etc. seem like the best choice for your boat and cruising needs, then buy the one that makes sense for you based on the research you are doing.

From my research, it seems that Rocna, Vulcan (have used both and am very happy with either), Spade, Manson, Sarca, and Ultra are all good anchors, and there are probably others as well. Functionality and value are what should be of most concern, not just price tag IMHO.
Good luck,
Tom
Old 02-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #52
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
From my research, it seems that Rocna, Vulcan (have used both and am very happy with either), Spade, Manson, Sarca, and Ultra are all good anchors, and there are probably others as well. Functionality and value are what should be of most concern, not just price tag IMHO.
Good luck,
Tom
Don't know why SuperMax didn't make it into that coverage.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Probably simply because I am not familiar with that one. and that is why I added the part about there probably being others.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #54
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Probably simply because I am not familiar with that one. and that is why I added the part about there probably being others.
If you have the time, it is a worthy one to get acquainted with.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #55
Guru

rango,
I’m quite familiar w most anchors new and old.
But we all tend to familiarize ourselves w the anchors we like. And we like them for various reasons. Some anchors are liked/disliked because of how they look .. like sculpture. I have an art/design past and am drawn to anchors for this reason. Some are drawn to a specific anchor because someone they respect likes them and perhaps uses them. Kinda like joining the club the guru belongs to. Others buy because they read an anchor test that said a certain anchor was best or that the numbers say it had the highest holding power or that some other aspect of performance like setting, short scope setting/holding or the ability to set in unusual and difficult sea bottoms. Hard bottoms, grass ect.

But for whatever reasons one uses a certain anchor there’s no reason to expect others to talk about your anchor as they are thinking about their own anchor and perhaps a few others. And most are only familiar w a few anchors. Usually the ones they like or use.

But to berate somebody because they don’t talk about YOUR favorite anchor should’nt be permissible. I am not a moderator but I like talking about anchors and your post drives people away from anchor talk.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:04 PM   #56
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Could it be because they are such an ugly and awkward looking anchor, that folk just don't feel they will dig in well because of the rather weird fluke shapes..? Also they look awkward to handle, even though they clearly do fit modern bowsprits..?

http://maxmarineproducts.com/supermax-anchors/

PS, don't mind my mate Eric over-reacting a bit there. It's just he takes anchor discussions very seriously...
Old 02-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #57
Guru

Peter com on man,
Ugly ??? the most beautiful curves .. especially the crossways curve of the fluke.
I was inspired to make one of my best Mods after the three fluke tips on the Max.
Anchor worked great. Still have it.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:12 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
But for whatever reasons one uses a certain anchor there’s no reason to expect others to talk about your anchor as they are thinking about their own anchor and perhaps a few others. And most are only familiar w a few anchors. Usually the ones they like or use.

But to berate somebody because they don’t talk about YOUR favorite anchor should’nt be permissible. I am not a moderator but I like talking about anchors and your post drives people away from anchor talk.
It seems you have just accused me of "berating" you or somebody else about not being familiar with an anchor type. I suggest that interpretation is not only entirely incorrect but also suggests a rather breezy approach to reading the posts involved with an agenda on your part. What gives? I approached the topic in the most completely open handed manner possible only offering that a quite look at another alternative could prove useful. I am not now nor have ever intend to be snarky on this list and offer my best advice or experience for the good of all. I suggest you withdraw that comment, sir.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:31 AM   #59

City: Poulsbo
Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 classic
I have a GB49 which loaded weighs about 70000 lbs. Came with a 30kg bruce which was difficult to set and drug anchor in 70 to 80 kn gusts. Now have a Rocna Vulcan 55kg which sets reliably if you have scope of 3 or more and holds much better than the smaller Bruce. Using an all chain rode. I could easily pull the Bruce through the bottom with both engines idling in reverse not so with the Vulcan. I have not had the Vulcan in the same wind conditions yet as the Bruce. The Bruce was always hard to hoist which suggests is was well dug into the bottom when the chain was straight down.
DennisB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #60
Guru

Hi Dennis,
I can tell you from experience, the Vulcan can be difficult to retrieve as well!
After one season and about 80 nights at anchor, I can say that my only complaints would be how difficult it can be to retrieve and how much mud it sometimes brings up. Both good problems to have when discussing anchors. As I stated earlier, I am sure there are other good anchors!