Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Anchors away...sort of.....

Delfin look away now...the rest of you might find this mildly interesting....
Today, New Years day, 2013, we, (my wife and I) returned to our dock after finally doing something we had wanted to do for quite a while - that is/was to travel down to the Gold Coast, go out the Seaway on favourable tide, then travel up the outside of the encircling Moreton Bay Islands, (ie open ocean), in at the top around cape Moreton, Moreton Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and then back to home base down the inside of the Bay - which is where we usually stay, as it's quite a hike for us to get outside - it's a big Bay. Even got an EPIRB last Xmas for it, then had to cancel because of dying cyclonic swells making conditions unfavourable.
This time we struck a good weather window, also ideal tide to cross the bar at the Gold Coast Seaway, and travel up to Cape Moreton, some 70 Nm. No biggie you might say - well for us it was, (11 hrs non-stop, and no Auto pilot - can understand why one does without if seldom used enough to justify the cost, (like me), but still can't understand Marin pulling a working one out, but thereyago), and as luck would have it, after rounding the cape and getting back into the bay, the weather deteriorated quite a bit faster than the forecast had predicted. We had a rather rocky night at Tangalooma, due to swells coming round the top, then the next day we reached Myora through the Rous channel, (another first for us), Map of Rous Channel in Queensland - Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia
and anchored at Myora. That is where the fun began. The wind honked up to 30-40 kn that night, and next day as well. Many boats dragged and had to set and re-set their anchors, and sorry guys, but all of them had CQRs. Thankfully our Sarca stuck firm - so much so in fact I had some trouble extracting it from the bottom Monday morning. The event that really interested me however, (Eric take note), was the boat next to us was a Mainship 45, and they had rafted up with another vessel, which although it had its anchor out as well it may as well not, as it was clearly not under tension, so doing nothing. Anyway, I was impressed at how they survived the night, and was wondering what kind of tackle they were using, when during the next afternoon, when the wind peaked to about 40kn, suddenly their anchor let go, and in a rather startlingly short time, they ended up instead of in line with us to our port, they were where they are in the first photo. They quickly reacted and attempted to separate and re-anchor, but they must have dropped part of their bridle, and it snagged across the Mainship's anchor fluke, and each time he tried to raise it fully it was being pulled back against the bow. Fortunately a fellow nearby with dinghy in the water raced over and disentangled it, and with a bit of smart seamanship both vessels were finally re-anchored. I noted during this that the Mainship was using a Manson Supreme, which if not holding two boats would have been fine I'm sure, as he re-anchored quite quickly. The other vessel took 3 attempts and was using a CQR type. Needless to say, they did not raft up again.
It was this same anchorage where I failed to get a CQR to set after about 7 attempts in much lighter weather than this, as it has quite a weedy bottom, the incident prompting me to research anchors carefully, and I ended up with the Sarca. I watched a Riviera 35 make 6 attempts to re-anchor using a CQR type just after the above events, and I was able to sympathize fully.

The next couple of shots show the sort of conditions prevailing, though they never look so bad in a pic as when you are there.....pics 2 and 3.....
That evening the wind died down for a bit, so we had quite a nice sunset...pic 4. Then it honked up again until dropping somewhat next day, when we were prepared to head south. Our final night, new Years Eve, at Canaipa Point anchorage was much better and we had a really nice sunset...pic 5.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
TF Site Team

Anchors away continued

Not sure why the pics did not load first time....
Attached Thumbnails
Image053.jpg   Image055.jpg   Image054.jpg   Image056.jpg   image.jpg  

Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
A good friend of mine got rid of his CQR which had "drug all over" the world and replaced it with a real Bruce. Problems gone too.

BTW Peter what possessed the boaters to raft up with a blow coming - Yellow Tail or Fosters?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Peter,
Good to see you have been out and about.
The weather latly has been most unpredictable hasn't it.
It looks like I may bring Tidahapah down to Gold Coast City Marina in Feb and leave her down there for a while.
I may be doing a few upgrades and there are a couple of guys down there I would like to work on the boat.
Will let you know what develops.
Hope you had an enjoyable cruise.
Myora can get a bit crowed, a bit like Tangaloma Wrecks, very bad if there is a wind change.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=sunchaser;123244]A good friend of mine got rid of his CQR which had "drug all over" the world and replaced it with a real Bruce. Problems gone too.

BTW Peter what possessed the boaters to raft up with a blow coming - Yellow Tail or Fosters?

Yellow Tail, the no name CQR of the wine world
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
A good friend of mine got rid of his CQR which had "drug all over" the world and replaced it with a real Bruce. Problems gone too.

Sun chaser, I suspect they were fooled by the earlier forecast, and did not expect it to turn so quickly, which of course is the usual story, is it not? I am a bit anal re weather so check it twice a day and before turning in, so caught up with the sudden upgrade of wind strengths.
I doubt Fosters was the cause, but if it was the alcohol as well, it would no doubt have been the Qld favourite, xxxx. Personally, I can't stand it.
You are right though - rafting is strictly for calm conditions.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
FF
Guru

"6 attempts to re-anchor using a CQR type"

Using a "type" instead of the real thing is like using a pickup truck to pull an 18 wheelers Type trailer.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Using a "type" instead of the real thing is like using a pickup truck to pull an 18 wheelers Type trailer.
I used the word 'type' FF because I was unable to verify the exact make. Suffice to say they were Plow/CQRs, which are all pretty much the same in the way they work and shape. The fact is, they don't like weed....period..!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:

Don't think I agree with that. In talking to Bob Hale, the creator and for many years the publisher of the "Waggoner Guide," one of the most popular cruising guides for the PNW, BC, and SE Alaska, the subject of Bruce anchors came up from time to time.

At one time Bob was the sales rep for Bruce anchors in this area, and he would comment on the performance difference between a genuine Bruce and the knock-offs. He claimed that the subtle physical differences between a Bruce and the knock-offs made a significant difference to their performance.

We had a genuine Bruce on the boat at the time and there were Bruce knock-offs on some of the boats on our dock. So while I did not take actual measurements I took very close looks at our Bruce and the knock-offs on nearby boats. And frankly, I could not see any difference.

We're not talking precision machined parts for a GE turbofan engine here, we're talking clunky anchor castings. And I cannot believe that whatever the invisible physical differences might be between a genuine Bruce and a Claw or any of the other knock-offs make any difference whatsoever to the performance of that anchor "type."

The same, I believe, goes for things like the CQR and the Delta, for example. The same basic shape is going to work--- or not work--- for the same basic reasons. The minor differences the individual designers came up with, either because they thought they would make a difference or simply to avoid a patent infringement, don't in my opinion make any difference at all to the overall performance of the type.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I used the word 'type' FF because I was unable to verify the exact make. Suffice to say they were Plow/CQRs, which are all pretty much the same in the way they work and shape. The fact is, they don't like weed....period..!
I thought the CQR was designed for weeds and rocky bottom? They do not hold well if the bottom is sand/loose as their area is small, and the Danforth with the wide flukes, foul with weeds. Maybe it was not weeds?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: Georgia
Weeds? Are we boating in Colorado now?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Weed, man? Must be WA. Far out...
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
FF
Guru

A real CQR has a swivel built in . some cheapo knockoffs do not bother with such added casting work, and sell a 1 piece anchor with unknown properties.

CAVIAT EMPTOR if the anchor is ever put in the water.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
A real CQR has a swivel built in . some cheapo knockoffs do not bother with such added casting work, and sell a 1 piece anchor with unknown properties.

CAVIAT EMPTOR if the anchor is ever put in the water.
In my view it is the hinged shank, which is what I suspect you mean by a swivel, that is the main weakness of the CQRS. It allows them to bounce along on their side and not present enough lateral resistance to force the fluke to dig in, so if they don't set quickly, such as in weed, or firmer bottoms, they are doomed to bounce along the bottom forever. Which is why the Delta, Ultra, and more recently, the Sarca Excel, are way better.