Anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was considering ordering a new fangled, whiz-bang modern anchor, the owner of a store in Prince Rupert listened quite patiently about new anchor designs, then nodded toward his extensive array of cheap galvanized Lewmar Claws and said, "Yeah, well, I get a lot of repeat customers".

I pondered that for a while, then bought the next size up Lewmar Claw that was already on our boat.

You just have to see any bay or estuary in this area at an extremely low tide to understand what he meant...there are stumps, root wads, logs, and/or whole trees laying on the bottom all over the place.

Still, I intend to get a modern storm anchor before we start exploring BC's north coast in the winter months, which should be next year, but it sure won't be used on a regular basis!

Murray,
Yup .... just like Marin you'd probably be fine w just a bigger Claw. What size Claw do you have? We both have boats the same size and I'd consider a 33lb Claw good for 99% of anchoring situations in your area. I bought a Claw when we went to Alaska on our previous boat thinking that design would be great on a rocky bottom. But my more recent experience has shown most bottoms up north are some variation of mud and rocky bottoms are somewhat unusual. The other advantages of the Claw you will also find a plus ... in your area.

But a 44lb Claw on our boats would probably take care of the other 10% and it's only 10lbs more ....

Another thought would be to use a Fortress as a primary and a Claw for rocky bottoms. A 23lb Fortress would probably hold us in an 80 knot gale and it would be easily hand launched and retrieved thus no winch would be required. Perhaps a 15lb Fortress would work just as well in 99% of our anchoring.

In other words we could anchor just like we anchored 22 and 25' boats w/o all the complication, weight and expense of most trawlers.

Hi Eric,

We have the 10kg, (22lb) Lewmar Claw. That's not what we want for winter boating as I said earlier, but it's a huge improvement over the 7.5 kg (16lb) Claw that came with the boat and which is now our stern/backup anchor.

On Lewmar's chart they suggest the 10kg is good for 25' to 35' boats, so our 30 footer is right in the pocket for an 'everyday' anchor that will see most of the risk of getting hung up on some unseen gnarly old root wad laying on the bottom.

I figure with those two aboard, and a storm anchor, I'll feel better venturing into the deep corners of the complex waterways up here where you can go days without seeing another boat of any description.

Last edited:
Murray,
My Claw is 22lbs also. I use it in river mouths and rocky spots where the chances of fouling and anchor loss is great and the weather is mild. An extra 22lbs would give us bullet proof 44lb anchors. And the size would impress even the ladies.

Most of the fishermen in SE AK that don't have a Forfjord or a Dreadnought are using Claws. They use really big anchors w lots of very heavy chain and anchor in tight places w very low scope. Don't recall ever seeing a modern anchor on Alaska fishing boat. They think a lot like FF.

I am a new member and so impressed with the site and it's members. You have all have provided me with just what I was looking for, "experience" with anchors. I read all of your comments and appreciate you all taking the time to give me your experience. I noticed where you all are from as much as your comments. Our plan is to stay one more year in Puget Sound and then start south. Who knows where we will end up, our plan is to go south. Spent a few vacation bare boat in BVI. Look out here we come. We want an anchor that can go with us and I can sleep at night. So again thanks for the advice.

On Lewmar's chart they suggest the 10kg is good for 25' to 35' boats, so our 30 footer is right in the pocket for an 'everyday' anchor

While it might be fine for everyDAY , do you not plan on spending a NIGHT at anchor.?

For your boat in the wilds I would have a good brace of 35 lb + aboard , and they would be rigged with triplines , to increase the chance of getting them back aboard.

In the boonies triplines are worthwhile as anchor stores are a long walk.

In built up areas , harbors with dozens of boats and dozens of skill levels , the tripline gives a good visual of where your anchor is.

Saying overnight overnight anchoring w a 22lb anchor is foolish is a ridiculous thing to say. I anchored in a very small inlet w a 13lb anchor. Two hours after we anchored it blew 30 to 35 all night long. A 22lb anchor for a 30' boat is not a lunch hook.

But for the 30' boat w a Claw 33lbs is better for " everyday". But a 22lb Claw should be fine up to 30 knots. Remember FF these are not very big boats.

"Damn" Walt, Where do you obtain those wonderful statements?
Al

This is just another self centered ad by Smith to sell Rocna anchors.

The way the Rocna has been marketed from the beginning will insure I'll never buy this product.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom