Anchoring Technique Program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On a related note, it's easy to talk about common sense and judgement, but let's face it, there is a LOT to learn and know about boating, and none of us are born knowing it. Some people will figure it out faster than others, and some are more resistant to being taught than others, but tips, guidance, and pointing out errors is how we all learn. I have no idea how advanced or basic this training class will be, but anything that advances the boating skills base seems all good to me.

I agree. We've trained far more than needed for what we do, but we're driven to knowledge about something which is such a huge part of our lives. Now where we fall shore and will remain short is on mechanical knowledge and skills.

Another story: This year we anchored in Shoal Bay B.C. The government dock was full, 3 deep. We anchored in 70ft with about 250ft of rode. A little 34ft bayliner threw his anchor in front of me. That night, Crusty left our boat but couldn't find his boat as he had forgotten to turn his lights on, so out came the spot light. He found his boat.

As I was putting things up, I noticed the bayliner was gone. mm strange, when did he leave? Then I saw a single anchor light in the channel travelling toward Dent Rapids. This seemed strange. I launched my dink to investigate. it was the bayliner and his anchor line was straight down! They drifted right by us and we didn't even see them! They were asleep and drifting. I banged on the boat and woke them up. He pulled his anchor while telling me:

"I had 90ft out! I can't understand why I broke loose!!" (in 70ft of depth!)

Think that anchoring a boat in hurricane is a judgment call based on the anchorage, boat, and ground tackle. Staying on the boat during the hurricane is a whole other issue. Hurricane force winds are 74 mph and above. In a protected (from storm waves) bay, I would be very surprised if my ground tackle and boat couldn't survive 75 mph winds.

Ted

Ted, there are so many variables....but yes, well found boats andctackle survive hurricanes ebery year.

But doing it out of necessity versus choice is my big question.

People come and go. No reason a previous topic cannot be discussed again. If bored, just move along, without comment.

Ted, there are so many variables....but yes, well found boats andctackle survive hurricanes ebery year.

But doing it out of necessity versus choice is my big question.

I agree. For most on this forum it may be better to be tied to a dock. If you're cruising the Caribbean or other remote locations, the dock may not be an option.

Ted

Anchoring is far too dangerous---don't even try it.
Florida is way too hot, stay away.

Howard,
Florida is too hot and I’m staying away.

Anchoring in a hurrycane is not a stretch for me. After doing two 50+ knot gales in Canada’s BC coast w an unusual but store bought anchor and otherwise standard gear except very little chain just a bigger anchor should get me by unless I had bad luck on the bottom. Always the biggest variable in anchoring. Also in both those gales the wind did not change directions.

And also in both those gales we were not within running distance of a dock or stout float. We would have gone to port if we had that option.

So if we had a bigger anchor, more chain and a good bridal we probably could do a hurrycane gracefully. I doubt if we could re-anchor though in that much wind. We did in one of the gales and that was probably a bit over 50 knots. But also these numbers I’m putting out are just guesses. We don’t have an anemometer.

This has been a good discussion and it does not mention, “and I use this anchor, which is the best.” As most know, I do not criticize other manufacturer’s anchors. There are lots of great anchors out there, including our Super MAX, and I am a believer that set properly, all these great anchors work very well. Deployed, set, and monitored incorrectly, you are asking for problems with any anchor.

Rudy’s course will focus on process and technique. The course will not be about recommending specific anchors. His intended audience is probably not a lot of the contributors on this forum. However, there may be quite a few folks who don’t post and just read our comments. They may want/need some training. There are also new people all the time to this wonderful world of serious boating. It is often good to re-visit some old topics.

I want to thank ALL who contributed and posted, without exception.

Steve

What I usually see missing from anchoring instruction and discussion is how boats lie to anchor with different wind from tide and sailing at anchor.

And I dont mean just wandering 30 or 45 degrees off each way. I am talking fast enough to stretch the rode to the point of being jerked back in the opposite direction. While it may not be pulling the anchor, it certainly isnt a pleasant experience for those aboard or those anchored nearby. It also negates a lot of "experienced" advice on how close one can anchor up in crowded anchorages and where to drop.

It sorta goes in the etiquette chapter.... the anchorage isnt big enough the minute your boat is out of step with the others and you should be leaving is the right answer...... not "trying" to avoid other boats all night long. Leaving yourself as FF pointed out is a shame, even though his point is well taken.

Last edited:
"Leaving yourself as FF pointed out is a shame, even though his point is well taken."

Most times it is just moving away from a potential disaster.

"And of course there are the 2:1 folks who try and just dig furrows. They are the ones who need real help."

The most interesting is watching them "set" the anchor at 3/4+ throttle in reverse.

Who needs TV when there is a reality show that can be viewed from your cockpit?

FF;613564The most interesting is watching them "set" the anchor at 3/4+ throttle in reverse. Who needs TV when there is a reality show that can be viewed from your cockpit?[/QUOTE said:
I call that "The Anchor Follies". Watch Hill, RI, and Block Island are famous for the follies.

It gets real interesting when the wind completely dies off and now the current (even if only slight) takes over. The keel boats and the cruisers always have fun when this happens. Hopefully a couple of pushes with a boat hook will remedy the situation. Sometimes not.

See, another anchorig book is appropriate. Written by members on this forum! It could be about their observations of other folks trying to anchor their vessel. Could be hilarious and a fun read. Many of you are funny in your posts and are excellent writers. Me, not so much so.

I also think those new folks who are watching and reading and are not confident in their ability to properly anchor so they are protects from the forces of Mother Nature learn from you all sharing your experiences. They see what they probably should not do

Steve

I bought that book and was highly underwhelmed...Lots of cut and paste from other sources.

I bought that book and was highly underwhelmed...Lots of cut and paste from other sources.

As many boating articles are and so are nany posts in forums.

It was even said here one time by a prolific poster and writer, that being a better writer was more convincing than actual knowledge and experience...

Go figure :)

Back
Top Bottom