Anchoring app. Who *wouldn’t* want one???!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave, our app is an app that is used with the wifi-enabled Vesper AIS that we have. Cell signal inside of a boat isn't important or needed for a positio to be able to use the app because the app uses the gps position (and anchor position when deployed) streamed from the vesper AIS. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah, okay, I gotcha. That's a nice feature. I may look for that kind of capability when it comes time to get me an AIS.

Boomer
I'm missing something. Why is an app based upon AIS required assuming your chart plotter GPS anchor watch is functioning? For us, once the tides, currents and winds start conspiring a proven anchor and rode are the first and last comforter.

In decades of anchoring, we've found nearby vessels provide the concern even though our position in our own range circles are spot on. BTW have you found your Vulcan dragging? Ours is quite solid once down.

Boomer
I'm missing something. Why is an app based upon AIS required assuming your chart plotter GPS anchor watch is functioning? For us, once the tides, currents and winds start conspiring a proven anchor and rode are the first and last comforter.

In decades of anchoring, we've found nearby vessels provide the concern even though our position in our own range circles are spot on. BTW have you found your Vulcan dragging? Ours is quite solid once down.

Ground tackle and WatchMate aren't mutually exclusive. Why not have both?

For us our cabin is quite a ways from the PH and chartplotters. Having an app on the phone right by the side of the bed guarantees that we will hear the alarm.

Did I miss something? Which post tells me the name of this app? There's a lot of them out there.

BD

Did I miss something? Which post tells me the name of this app? There's a lot of them out there.

BD

It's the Vesper AIS app - WatchMate. See posts #1 and #14.

It's the Vesper AIS app - WatchMate. See posts #1 and #14.

Ah. Thanks. Post 1 said it was a Vesper AIS but I didn't understand that it was also their app. Your post 14 said that you used the Vesper app, but I didn't put 2+2 together to figure out they were the same thing.

My AIS does not transmit over WiFi (couldn't see the reason to until now). However the Axiom can, so I'll look down that route. I do see the value of having the GPS location come from elsewhere as satellite accuracy with the phone down in the stateroom is less than ideal.

BD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom