Anchor snubber question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn't show up on Chrome, here.

Can't help you there, it was created in Chrome on a Chromebook and shows on Chrome for Mac on the iMac... both the original Google Photos link and the png attachment.

Check your settings?

Dave E, along with the bridles suggested you can also try a anchor riding sail since you have a mast and boom. Kind nice to raise a sail again. ��

Last edited:
Any sailor knows you never wax a polished SS anchor. You buff it with a miracle rag! We picked this grille out because it matches our SS anchor.

Magma? I had one of those. One setting was "High!" I set it at the fish cleaning table in Juneau for free and bought a Weber.

I believe it is still there!! LOL:eek::D

Magma? I had one of those. One setting was "High!" I set it at the fish cleaning table in Juneau for free and bought a Weber.

I believe it is still there!! LOL:eek::D

My first one was like that.
The newer one I have now is great. Very adjustable and never blows out.

As a former sailor, I have had amazing results rigging a riding sail while at anchor. Without it, the boat would veer 45 degrees to each side of center and at least once pulled the anchor free. Once rigged, it barely moved at all. May not be quite as dramatic on a trawler but I can't imagine it wouldn't help.

As a former sailor, I have had amazing results rigging a riding sail while at anchor. Without it, the boat would veer 45 degrees to each side of center and at least once pulled the anchor free. Once rigged, it barely moved at all. May not be quite as dramatic on a trawler but I can't imagine it wouldn't help.

It definitely will help to some degree. On my boat putting the back canvas up makes a surprisingly large difference. The challenge on most powerboats is rigging a ridding sail in any effective manner and getting it far enough back on the boat.

Most trawler yachts have the mast roughly in the middle of the boat making the "riding sail" many are equipped with useless as a steadying sail, almost as useless as they are for riding sails in anything but a gale which they should not be out in anyway. It might be better to tie of a big kite to the taffrail when at anchor in windy conditions.

If the boom extends to nearly the stern of a boat, a riding sail that starts at the after most part of the boom may be effective....

If the boom extends to nearly the stern of a boat, a riding sail that starts at the after most part of the boom may be effective....

Been there dun dat on a GB42 - waste of time.

I really don't have a problem with using a CQR in Socal. Mine works great!

That isn't a CQR
Its a yum cha copy

Woops, I may be mistaken, didn't realize genuine CQR came in SS

Been there dun dat on a GB42 - waste of time.

Works on some I have been told....so everyone has to experiment I guess.

Just like steadying sails, seems to be hit or miss.

Hi All,

Well after owning a sailboat and 2 years on this baby... we're learning how to anchor and liking it so far. Specifics: Bruce anchor with 300' of chain. I know the science and have practiced with our sailboat and last weekend the trawler. The PO had a line with a hook that secures to the capstan, but when I used that to get the chain unloaded... the weight of everything was still on the bow sprit. I have the ports on the bow for mooring lines. How would the boat ride the wind if I put a single snubber line through one of the holes only? Should I use a Y setup and use both holes for the snubber setup?

Dave

I've never experimented with trying only one side or the other; or going over the bowsprit. NWD came with an anchor bridle that goes through both port and starboard hawsepipes and we just always use that. It has the metal chainplate mentioned by comodave and caltexflanc and seems to work well for us with our bruce anchor, deployed with a generous cantenary. FYI we are in your same homeport, if you'd like to see how we rig it send me a pm, I'm out at the boat most weekends.

In the these two photos you can just make out the bridle deployed...this was at Wallace Island last summer. In this case we were shore tied and didn't move. But at other times (North cove at Saddle Bag Island, the "twin peaks" between Skagit and Hope Islands), we find our particular boat doesn't blow around to the point it bothers us.

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

We are not a planning hull, but we swing pretty good as we don't have much of a keel. A little whisper and off we go.:nonono::eek:

Intuitively, you would think a keel would help, but sailboats have the same problem. The wind against the exposed hull makes your boat act like a big sail.

Any sailor knows you never wax a polished SS anchor. You buff it with a miracle rag! We picked this grille out because it matches our SS anchor.

Last year I purchased an Ultra Anchor. Also polished SS and very nice looking. More importantly, it works great. I've yet to have it not set instantly in a variety of conditions and bottoms. Yes, it's probably the most expensive anchor you can find, but the peace of mind is worth it to me. It also releases from the bottom pretty easily, by design. Just curious if anyone else has experience with an Ultra.

Intuitively, you would think a keel would help, but sailboats have the same problem. The wind against the exposed hull makes your boat act like a big sail.

A keel is often far enough back that it makes the problem worse or does very little at all for sailing at anchor. The keel will slow the sideways slide through the water when you get blown off, but it doesn't fix the problem of too much windage forward of most of the water drag.

I think full keel and fin keel behave differently....the manuevability of the fin keel but with a small rudder area I would think would be the worst at anchor.

My guess is trawlers like mine with shallow forefoot but sloping to deep aft keels are lively also.

Archie, that's funny, it shows up in your reply. I take it you are using a Safari browser? Try something more robust like Chrome. In the meantime see attachment.

Looks like a typical dive day in Puget Sound.
From my 20 foot to my 35 foot boats never ran snubbed or bridled . was running a 30 lb navy. used to drop on the flat and let current carry me over deep water held through tide changes and all in passes etc. think it makes a huge difference on boat weight distribution etc. Being a diver my boats all sat heavy in the water.

Hi All,

Well after owning a sailboat and 2 years on this baby... we're learning how to anchor and liking it so far. Specifics: Bruce anchor with 300' of chain. I know the science and have practiced with our sailboat and last weekend the trawler. The PO had a line with a hook that secures to the capstan, but when I used that to get the chain unloaded... the weight of everything was still on the bow sprit. I have the ports on the bow for mooring lines. How would the boat ride the wind if I put a single snubber line through one of the holes only? Should I use a Y setup and use both holes for the snubber setup?

Dave

Hi Dave,
Your boat looks like the same hull and deck I had on the Celestial, an Albin 43 Sundeck. At any rate, we had about the same windage. I rigged up a bowsprit with two anchor rollers and two anchors. We deployed the anchors at about 30 degrees apart. Boat always sat happily on the two anchors.

For boats that are always nervous ,anchoring by the stern is sometimes the only solution..

Try walking the anchor line aft and using a stern cleat.

If it works for your boat you might contemplate larger stern cleats and a really well done reinforcement.

Anchoring by the stern may occasionally have merit, but with stern exhausts and a wide flat transom, I was always reluctant to do so. The only times I ever did so with my trawler, was when in such a narrow place that bow bow and stern were required to be held in place. If wave action picked up in the night (or even a strong current), there was the slap against the transom not far from my sleepy head and the tremendous force against the boat's entire anchor system, not to mention the water forced up the exhausts with possible catastrophic results.

I'm with Rich on this one. Anchoring from the stern works, but for a lot of the boats on here, the slapping noise is obnoxious unless there's no wave action at all. I do have transom exhausts, but the geometry of them is such that I don't really worry about water getting shoved up them (it would take a heck of a lot to make it into the mufflers).

backinblue;886368 Just curious if anyone else has experience with an Ultra.[/QUOTE said:
I don't but my buddy has an Ultra on his 48 Ocean Alexander and loves it!

Attachments

• Koulakani.jpg
    Koulakani.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 39
In my strong opinion, anchoring by only by the stern is only an option as a last resort, and in calm conditions and protected locations. Less of an issue with canoe sterns, but then you are going to have the same issues as if you used the anchoring gear the boat was designed to and maybe a few more. There are reasons why you virtually never see it done.

Back
Top Bottom