Anchor Scope Cheat Sheet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

The PO had this anchor scope cheat sheet laminated to a side wall in the anchor well. It was getting raged but he emailed me his original copy.

I just thought I would share it to see if anyone else may need one or have one to share.

Not sure this one is the best but its up for grabs. I have the excel file as well if interested.

Jeff

Attachments

• Indigo Star Anchor Rode Marks.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,106
That's nice but likely way too short intervals. What method is used to mark the rode, and are the first five still visible?

That table looks like something my cousin would do. His marking system is so complicated it takes an entire page to explain. Only he understands it. He says it is simple binary code.

I mark every 30 feet, red, white, blue then repeat. I guess we use what works for us.
Rob

I'm not sure why a cheat sheet is required for calculating scope. After determining depth at high tide, add 8 feet for the distance from water to roller and multiply by scope desired in my head while at the bow. Let out required chain.

My chain is painted every 30 feet and repeats at the end of a shot with two marks. The mid point is painted yellow. I have it so markings will make sense when the chain is reversed every other year. We rarely have 200' out so the reversed markings past 210' is seldom an issue.

30 r
60 w
90 b
120 rr
150 ww
180 bb
210 y
240 bb
270 ww
300 rr
330 b
360 w
390 r

This is too complicated.
I use numerous electrical tape rings around my nylon line rode to estimate scope.
The first 100’ is obvious as it’s a 100” section of one size smaller line shackled to the main rode .. 5/8ths” Brait. That’ well over 400’ total length.

So I know exactly where the “100’ mark” is. Then the marks w various numbers of e-tape every 25’ to 200’. One, two and three rings of tape. If I use over 200’ of rode length accuracy is a bit diminished but so is the need for preciseness. I rely mostly on simplicity to easily stay mentally connected to how much rode I’ve got out. Estimating scope becomes easier that way. Of course I need to run the rode in and out manually. Just three marks on the rode.

Chain Counter

Easiest! :hide:

Attachments

• AA150.jpg
    AA150.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 92
I had only 2 red painted sections. 50 feet and 100 feet.
I never needed anything else.
I guess that’s because anchoring is not an exact science.

Yep.

All chain. Have 3ft of poly woven through the links every 50ft.

I put out scope to the nearest 50ft, rounded up. I can count to four in my head (most days).

Makes things simple.

Attachments

• 20190702_084607_copy_1612x907.jpg
    20190702_084607_copy_1612x907.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 141
I count the seconds, about three feet of chain a second. ... Haven't adjusted the FloScan, but multiply readings by 70 percent. It exercises the brain cells. :blush:

bright orange paint...every 25' here.

Attachments

• 61145076083__3703578A-E709-4179-A58D-32521FE38FF5.jpg
    61145076083__3703578A-E709-4179-A58D-32521FE38FF5.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4454.jpg
    IMG_4454.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 73
The simplest method I have found after five years living on the hook 80% of the time is to use zip ties. Take a 6-8 inch tie and tie it at 25 feet, then two ties at 50 feet, three ties at 75 feet and four at 100 feet. At 100 feet I start over with one tie. Very rarely do we have out more then 100 feet of chain. So, easy math, no painting, no codes to figure out. The zip ties will run through the gypsy with no issues, just get the 6-8 inch ones. And don't cut off the "tales", it makes them easier to see and count. Anyway, this worked for us.

Not really,
There's buying it, cutting holes, drilling hole in chainwheel, adding magnets, wiring........

Easiest is cheap 6mm poly rope woven in a few links at 20 metre intervals and a different colour a few metres from the anchor so you can see when it nearly up.
Leave tails, rope splays out like a nice coloured flag.
20m is the minimum drop for us (10ft under keel, 10ft to deck x 3:1 = 60ft/20m)

Poly rope lasts well, we anchor every day and the rope lasts at least 4 years.
Paint lasted less than 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Not really,
There's buying it, cutting holes, drilling hole in chainwheel, adding magnets, wiring........

Easiest is cheap 6mm poly rope woven in a few links at 20 metre intervals and a different colour a few metres from the anchor so you can see when it nearly up.
Leave tails, rope splays out like a nice coloured flag.
20m is the minimum drop for us (10ft under keel, 10ft to deck x 3:1 = 60ft/20m)

Poly rope lasts well, we anchor every day and the rope lasts at least 4 years.
Paint lasted less than 2 weeks.

I've seen you make this recommendation before and I love the idea. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. My paint marks are starting to get kind of faint.

Looks like some are trying hard to make it so.
But then the KIS people showed up in mass.
Complexity seems to attract many.

Looks like some are trying hard to make it so.
But then the KIS people showed up in mass.
Complexity seems to attract many.

Yup. When the first red shows up my first mate tightens the clutch on the windlass. That usually gets the red in the water, then I let the wind set the anchor. Once the boat comes into the wind I let out until the second red shows up then I add the snubber.
Then a couple of seconds of idle time in R ........done.

Easiest is cheap 6mm poly rope woven in a few links at 20 metre intervals and a different colour a few metres from the anchor so you can see when it nearly up..
I guess "easiest & cheap"are viewed differently by some, not to mention seeing the poly rope at night. If you've never had a chain counter then you can't possibly know how easy it is to know how much rode you deployed. Day or night! Yes, it costs real money to install one but aren't we talking about what is the easiest way to count the rode?

I guess "easiest & cheap"are viewed differently by some, not to mention seeing the poly rope at night.
At night I have to shine a light down there to put the snubber on and on retrieve to make sure the chain is coming up straight , not ripping the galv off on the S/S cheeks and not jumping out of the grooved roller.
Never a problem seeing the rope.

If you've never had a chain counter then you can't possibly know how easy it is to know how much rode you deployed. Day or night!

I have been on vessels that have them
Still had to shine a light at night
Not hard to count to one.....possibly two;)

Yes, it costs real money to install one but aren't we talking about what is the easiest way to count the rode?

I'll stick with the poly rope, the smoke will never escape and I only need to count to two ;)
I have an unused maxwell chain counter still in its box in the wheelhouse - to much drama to fit.

I have an unused maxwell chain counter still in its box in the wheelhouse - to much drama to fit.

:thumb:
Ebay that thing!
The proceeds will buy a LOT of brightly colored poly!!

Jesus, I've never seen so many ways to complicate what should be a simple thing.

Jesus, I've never seen so many ways to complicate what should be a simple thing.

LOL. You'd think you were new here! This is TF where like one member said it's like a box of chocolates.

I recite calibrated limericks to confirm anchor rode. I have found that each of these limericks corresponds to 33’ of my 3/8” chain.

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
But his daughter, named Nan,
Ran away with a man
And as for the bucket, Nantucket.
33’

But he followed the pair to Pawtucket,
The man and the girl with the bucket;
And he said to the man,
He was welcome to Nan,
But as for the bucket, Pawtucket.
67’

Then the pair followed Pa to Manhasset,
Where he still held the cash as an asset,
But Nan and the man
Stole the money and ran,
And as for the bucket, Manhasset.
100’

If you were expecting a foul limerick, I am disappointed in you; I run a clean ship.
If I ever need more than 100’ I am SOL.

I guess "easiest & cheap"are viewed differently by some, not to mention seeing the poly rope at night. If you've never had a chain counter then you can't possibly know how easy it is to know how much rode you deployed. Day or night! Yes, it costs real money to install one but aren't we talking about what is the easiest way to count the rode?
Walt, we've been telling these cheapskates, (meant in the nicest possible way :flowers:), who pay thousands for electronic whateverelses, like money's no object, about the benefits of a chain counter, and it still falls on deaf ears. Yet they'll go to all sorts of lengths to make up a DYI way of counting length of anchor rode out. However, unless and until something prompts them to think outside the box and actually try one, they'll never listen, so we should just save out breath and let them keep doin' what they enjoy doin' in my view. Even though they are depriving themselves of the real joy of installing one for themselves, which I can vouch is actually very easy - even for me, and ex-medico with no tradie experience whatsovever..!

I mean, take Simi there. He's actually got one I think he has said in the past, and its sitting in a box. And he admits all it needs is a drill, and running some wires, and maybe a jigsaw or hole saw, and the rest is just follow the 'structions. How hard can it be. He's a fellow Aussie, renowned for DIY. Beats me. :D

My first thought when seeing this chart is that it might make sense in areas with shallower depths. Our average depth here on the North Wet Coast is 30 to 40 feet. And there is deeper, can go to a hundred feet. Obviously our depths can go much deeper but most anchoring is between 100 - 30 feet here.

So I have one hundred feet of chain, so I know when I let it all out, I know the amount. Then it is nylon rode and I mark it out at fifty feet intervals to 250 feet of nylon line.

ours is simple, chain in 30' marked sections. We typically go 3/1 scope so every mark is good for 10' depth.. no brainer.

hollywood

Walt, we've been telling these cheapskates, (meant in the nicest possible way :flowers:), who pay thousands for electronic whateverelses, like money's no object, about the benefits of a chain counter, and it still falls on deaf ears. Yet they'll go to all sorts of lengths to make up a DYI way of counting length of anchor rode out.
Peter, The irony of your post is that prior to signing in today I had those exact thoughts! I, however, not being the wordsmith that you are, would never use the word "cheapskates." (Although I might be thinking it.:angel:)

It dawned on me that another approach to determining what depth a boat is in might be to use a long cord with a fluorescent weight on it. A crewman standing on the bow would call out "Mark Twain" when a depth of 12 feet is encountered. The fluorescent weight would be easily seen and might be considered as the "easiest" way to determine skinny water, other than spending a few bucks for an electronic depth sounder. I guess one's approach to things like chain counters & depth sounders is all in the eyes of the beholder. :confused:

All useful ideas and I am sure we all have a version of one of them.

What stood out though was when Willy, the master of the anchor said he estimates the rode. And here I thought there was a science to comparing anchors, like using the same scope for different anchors. :angel: :rofl:

I created something similar last year. This year we went out and anchored for the first time. I whipped out the cheat sheet, looked at it and had forgot how to read my own chart! :banghead:. It's a good concept... any pilots know the value of quick reference checklists and data. So... I added some easy instructions and now my old memory can understand my own chart. :blush:
Long story short, I like the idea and use it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom