Old 01-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #81
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Art,
Here is mine bought for $400 new. Makes lots of noise w it's planetary gears but is very powerful for it's size.
Wish I could send it back though as the line pulls to port strongly or crosses over itself. I feel it must be due to the flat (w turned up ends) drum. Yours (not seen in the pic) is a nice curved saddle drum.
Those Power Winch units are all over the place .. almost as common as Danforth anchors.
Speaking of old original equipment here's Willy's foredeck when we got her. I think this configuration is as new. I still have that 13lb Danny anchor. It has forged shank and flukes. If I sell Willy I'm going to keep that one. Deployed it numerous times when other anchors wouldn't set (as in hook up w the bottom). It always did! I know you like Danny anchors.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_3289.jpg  
Attached Images

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #82
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Art,
Here is mine bought for $400 new. Makes lots of noise w it's planetary gears but is very powerful for it's size.
Wish I could send it back though as the line pulls to port strongly or crosses over itself. I feel it must be due to the flat (w turned up ends) drum. Yours (not seen in the pic) is a nice curved saddle drum.
Those Power Winch units are all over the place .. almost as common as Danforth anchors.
Speaking of old original equipment here's Willy's foredeck when we got her. I think this configuration is as new. I still have that 13lb Danny anchor. It has forged shank and flukes. If I sell Willy I'm going to keep that one. Deployed it numerous times when other anchors wouldn't set (as in hook up w the bottom). It always did! I know you like Danny anchors.
Hey Eric

Yup - Curved saddle drum. I'm surprised the makers of yours did not have curved drum also.

Yup - Power Winch models all over the place. None too much like my old-school model for new ones though. That old baby is a powerful biitch; three to four wraps of the line, then held taught while pulling away from winch, and if anchor is too stuck nose of boat begins to go way deeper into water! I was brought up pulling anchors with similar Power Winch apparatus.

Yup - I do greatly appreciate Danforth anchor design; another item I was brought up using. I believe that Fortress anchor design (i.e. Danforth on steroids - lol) is a good bit better than the orig "Danny" due to weight reduction and its choices of 33 or 45 degree shank to fluke angles for sandy and/or soft-mud bottoms.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote