Anchor Pulpit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike H

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Losada
Vessel Make
Californian 48 CPMY
When we purchased our boat, it came with somewhat of a wimpy anchor. PO probably didn't anchor but was either at a marina or on a ball. We, on the other hand, plan to do much more anchoring. As such, I'd like to put on a Bruce or something similar (yes, I know they are out of business). But the problem is, a Bruce or many others won't fit with the current setup where the chain drops through a bit back from the bow. So, my thought is to install a new roller, but I am concerned about the stress on the pulpit itself, especially within a foot or so of the bow.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• 20200914_124624.jpg
    20200914_124624.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210604_113010 (2).jpg
    20210604_113010 (2).jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 24
Without seeing the underside of that pulpit it's hard to tell how strong it is. But it doesn't look like a particularly weak design.

Skip the Bruce, it's an old design and there are others that outperform it by a very large margin. Not all anchors will fit on that pulpit, but from what I can see, at least a few of the modern non-rollbar designs should fit. A Bruce might actually fit there too, but I don't think it would launch and retrieve nicely without some assistance.

Looks like a Rocna Vulcan will fit in there.

It's probably a typical cored with plywood pulpit, Bayliner formed the top, turned them upside down and filled them with plywood, and then capped the bottom with a layer or two of glass matting. They flex quite a bit, which tends to break the bottom cap loose from the top and lets water into the core.

It looks like yours is formed into the hull so maybe they used a different method and it's stronger. Kevin just chopped his off and put a new pulpit on for his trip to Mexico. I'm sure he'll post some pictures of his modification when he sees this thread :)

Hard to tell from the photo but it looks very similar to the pulpit on the 80's Carver we used to have. That one was bolted on with three large bronze bolts, with the nuts accessible inside the anchor locker. AKDoug is right, that's exactly how our Carver pulpit was constructed too and just as Doug mentioned, water was seeping into the core and rotting the plywood. We actually had to get it re-done soon after we bought the boat, not because the anchor damaged it, but because the previous owner plowed into something and the force cracked and lifted the the pulpit upward and opened a space for leakage between the bow/deck and the bolt holes through the deck into the anchor locker. We had a new one re-fabricated using the old one as a pattern. Yours looks undamaged but in the course of our replacement, I used new, longer bronze bolts and glassed in small square marine fiberglass pads and very large bronze fender washers to beef everything up. Don't know if your configuration is the same, but if you can get to the nuts in the anchor locker, big hefty washers might make it stronger. I did probably go overboard. The boat may fall to pieces someday but that pulpit will never budge.

(I think I still have creases on my body from doing all that work with my head and shoulders jammed inside the anchor locker door, and my ribs on the sill of the anchor locker hatch. It was a rectangular door and I only fit sideways, left side down or right side down, so all the work was done overhead, sideways. That was fun.)

My pulpit was built similarly as well. I pulled it off the boat a couple years ago, cut the bottom open (was about 3/8" thick fiberglass on the bottom, 1/2" on the top plus 1/2" teak). Pulled out the rotted plywood, re-cored with foam and epoxy and glassed the bottom back together.

It's strong enough that I've pulled the bow down an inch or 2 with the windlass while breaking the anchor out and there's minimal flex and no signs of a structural issue. Mine is also pretty tall and has hefty side flanges below the bottom surface, so it's a pretty sturdy (and very heavy, probably 120+ lbs) piece. If I feel the need at some point, I may pull it back off one winter and do some more work to make it stronger (knowing that I know more about fiberglass now than I did when I first repaired it).

Sorry, just magnified your photos -- huh, looks like it is molded in, not a bolt-on. Sorry, my previous post might not apply at all. Boy, the bow pulpit is so likely to take a hit in a bad docking that I'd almost prefer bolt-on. If you ever nail that pulpit badly -- well, you know. Anyway, sorry for the posting clutter, may not have been any help.

Here is ASD's setup with a 77lb Rocna with 550ft of chain.20220128_131448.jpg20220128_131622.jpg20220128_131654.jpg

Rocna Vulcan was specifically designed for this type of pulpit where the original Rocna roll bar hits the underside & cracks the FRP. On my former boat, (GB36CL) I sold my Rocna & bought a Vulcan. Just as good for me

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom