Old 03-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #41
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
My bad, after reading through all of the posts I had thought the OP was making a trip into the Sound this summer, it must have been another commenter making that statement...
Nope. You had it right the first time. I'm the OP (went back and checked). Seeadler and I will be in PWS much of July with a time-out in Seward/Anchorage around the 9th.

Current anchoring plan is to use the existing 210 feet of chain and carry two 200' shots of suitable rope (not in the locker) to shackle on when needed.

Ill be watching for you on the AIS.

'Prof
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #42
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
The video is at 8X speed. The stops are due to paying the chain in on the deck. 190'
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #43
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Nope. You had it right the first time. I'm the OP (went back and checked). Seeadler and I will be in PWS much of July with a time-out in Seward/Anchorage around the 9th.

Current anchoring plan is to use the existing 210 feet of chain and carry two 200' shots of suitable rope (not in the locker) to shackle on when needed.

Ill be watching for you on the AIS.

'Prof

Any reason to not go ahead and attach one of those 200’ of line to the chain now? I have only been in BC twice for a total of about 3 weeks with my boat and it has 300’ of chain. I used over 200’ a number of times and a couple times had all 300’ out and could have used a bit more.

If the line is attached (just splice it to the chain) then it is ready to use.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Any reason to not go ahead ...
If the line is attached (just splice it to the chain) then it is ready to use.
If you go back to the original post you'll find that my "revelation" is that the rope that is spliced to my 210' of chain is what keeps the chain from feeding properly into the "chain locker". A source of frustration, physical labor and bad language every time I recover the anchor.

Keeping the rope in a readily accesible tote, or, shall we say, ...I dunno..."rope locker?" may not be the answer, but it is going to be the next evolution.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
If you go back to the original post you'll find that my "revelation" is that the rope that is spliced to my 210' of chain is what keeps the chain from feeding properly into the "chain locker". A source of frustration, physical labor and bad language every time I recover the anchor.

Keeping the rope in a readily accesible tote, or, shall we say, ...I dunno..."rope locker?" may not be the answer, but it is going to be the next evolution.

Oops, sorry. I forgot.

So I did go back just to remind myself and you mentioned that you were going to deal with the chain bitter end, but I wasn’t clear how you were going to do that?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Oops, sorry. I forgot
you mentioned that you were going to deal with the chain bitter end, but I wasn’t clear how you were going to do that?
Someone suggested a short bar that would jam across the small aperture, but can be "toggled" to the vertical to extract. I'll probably secure it to a shackle in such a manner that it can be quickly swapped for the rope.

Boat is going to be hauled shortly which will make it easier to dump all this on the ground; probably do some painting and marking too.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #47
Guru

Got it. That should work well.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #48

City: Coomera
Vessel Model: Barry Hughes Millcraft custom timber cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I'm in the process of fitting a new windlass, a Muir 3500. It has an integrated hawse hole to feed into the locker. Also changing from 300' of 5/16 BBB to 360' of 3/8 chain. I secure the bitter end by 3 strand rope, but not enough length to come through the gypsy. If I need to cut it I'll do it from within the anchor locker.
I have the same winch brand new its sitting under the V birth at the moment and after the quote I received to fit it it will be staying there for a while.
Arafura II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:01 AM   #49

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Please Let me know if it works.......
The chain ended up just crushing the cone and there was no improvement. To be fair, I didn't build any special platform for the cone, it was just sitting at the bottom of the locker as close as possible to the centre of the hawsepipe. I don't think I have enough space in my locker to allow for a cone - I need that precious space for my 200 feet of chain.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
II added a 'skid ramp' in my anchor locker made up of 1 sq ft interlocking plastic tiles. The rode slides more easily down the ramp preventing the normal chain buildup near the pipe. Doesn't take up precious real estate, either.
Attached Thumbnails
20180329_091144.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #51
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Thanks Vic. My chain locker is also small....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Someone suggested a short bar that would jam across the small aperture, but can be "toggled" to the vertical to extract. I'll probably secure it to a shackle in such a manner that it can be quickly swapped for the rope.
So:
Attached Thumbnails
bitter end.jpg  
Old 08-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #53

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
I know this was mentioned in a earlier post but putting a small traffic cone in the anchor locker helped.
rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #54
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
My PO had about 350 feet of chain and 165 feet of rode. I had to go repeatedly to the chain locker and push over the pile. I did several things to change that. At first, I put everything out and then carefully put the rode off to the side as I brought in the line. I did the same with the chain, as much as possible. As long as I didn't use over about 150 feet, the chain came back in okay. If I used more I was back to visiting the chain locker during an anchor retrieval.

So I cut the chain down to 100' and changed the rode to 8 brait. That probably solved my problem, but I also soaked the chain in muriatic acid (mixed with water). I put as much as would fit in a 5 gallon bucket (about 50 feet), added probably two cups of acid, filled with water and let sit for several hours. All of the crusty white stuff came off of the old chain and it didn't stack in such a steep pile.

I also now fresh water rinse once in awhile and, when I remember, go down to the locker to spray the pile with Salt Away. This seems to keep the chain less crusty/more slippery.

As a bonus, my bow now rides an inch higher. And I have 250 feet of chain at home.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #55

City: Jacksonville/Bahamas
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 49 MY
So...here is my plan for my anchoring tackle for the east cost/loop/Bahamas etc. I think I am good but welcome thoughts.

150' of 3/8 chain with 200' 3/4" of 8 plait. My theory is most anchorage scenarios around here will be covered by chain with a reasonable scope and easy out/easy in. Should be no pile ups. 200' of the 3/4" 8 plait for when the poop hits the fan. Allows more scope without all that weight and most importantly will provide the stretch needed to handle those shock loads in big wind.

49' Gulfstar with 42,000 displ.

Others who did the same and succeeded? Failed?
Osprey69 is offline   Reply With Quote