Anchor Locker Drain Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sum escape

Vessel Name
Sapphire
Vessel Make
Tiara 53 Fly
So I have been trying to find the source of water intrusion in the forward bilge. With the admiral at the helm I inspected the anchor rode locker door and found the bottom weeping water into the bilge. I took off the anchor locker door in the forward stateroom and it was full of water. Stopping the boat, it all drained out. At various speeds from idle to 10 knots the water began to come into the compartment, and faster the faster we went. I can see the stain on the locker walls just above the bottom of the locker door.
So I think the solution is some sort of backflow preventer. Can any one help me source some sort of in line backflow preventer? Or do you have another suggestion?
Clearly relying on the forward bilge pump to run flawlessly is a recipe for disaster so I will greatly appreciate the help.

I think a checkvalve of any kind will cause trouble from the mud and debris that comes off the anchor chain. Does the drain go to a thru-hull just above the waterline? A stainless clamshell cover over the opening should keep the water from being forced up the hose.

Locker drain pic

So here is a photo of the drain. Yes, just above water line. Not sure what I could use on this irregular shape.

img_377637_0_e61db93c7c9b6a8d671513097904bf7c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I agree check valves probably will clog but it may be your only solution assuming that you have some hose from the locker to the hull. Is that an aftermarket spray rail added to the bow? Perhaps cutting it back to beyond the drain will prevent the bow wave from overtopping the drain.

Another thought is some sort of flapper on the outside of that drain shield.

Is the drain of the locker above the spray shield? If so perhaps new higher drains might work.

Forget the clamshell, you already have 2 essentially.
Is there any way you can borrow a Gopro camera, mount it on a boat pole and take some video of how the water is flowing underway? I mean is it flowing up the side or down from the sprayrail? That would show what would work the best.
I can't tell from the angle, but is the bottom side undercut to not act as a scoop for falling water?
My thinking is it should look more like this:

Attachments

• anchor locker drains.jpg
    anchor locker drains.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Block the drains. You don't get all that much water in your locker with chain retraction so just let it drain into the bilge and pump it out. That's what I did with my 32 but I rarely got enough water in the bilge to worry about. I think all the older GBs drained to the bilge.

watch the bow wave and see if it extends very far aft. It may be possible to extend those drain covers.

Block the drains. You don't get all that much water in your locker with chain retraction so just let it drain into the bilge and pump it out. That's what I did with my 32 but I rarely got enough water in the bilge to worry about. I think all the older GBs drained to the bilge.

Unfortunately the water will remain in the locker. The only reason it gets in the bilge is it gets higher than the access door and leaks out. It drains completely when boat is not moving.
I think I will try longer extensions on the drains as another suggested.

Is there any way to run an internal drain line to your bilge? Then you could block the external drains and the bilge pump would only have to deal with minor amounts of water after using your anchor.

If thst doesn't eork then I guess you could route the drain lines to a sump box and plumb it over board. A bit of a PITA but it might be the only answer.

Or now that I think about it maybe run the drain lines to your fwd A/C discharge water line a T them into that perhaps.

I would think that if it is a design issue, then all the GB 47 owners would be dealing with it. If so, GB would have been made aware of it at some point and should be able to offer some ideas.

Is the bottom of the rode locker at the same level as the exterior drain or is there a hose connecting it? If there is a hose, then I would relocate the exterior opening above that splash rail.

I agree with the others that a check valve will be a problem.

Installing a raised chain "bucket" to raise the drain inlet might work.

If thst doesn't eork then I guess you could route the drain lines to a sump box and plumb it over board. A bit of a PITA but it might be the only answer.

Or now that I think about it maybe run the drain lines to your fwd A/C discharge water line a T them into that perhaps.

The forward shower sump is a great idea. For now I have plugged the drain holes (no hose in the rode compartment). We'll see how bad that gets with crud. The sump plumbing will be another project....
Thanks to all for the great ideas and analysis.

The forward shower sump is a great idea. For now I have plugged the drain holes (no hose in the rode compartment). We'll see how bad that gets with crud. The sump plumbing will be another project....
Thanks to all for the great ideas and analysis.

Where does your forward head shower drain to now? Could you add a drain hose from the anchor compt to it?

"Unfortunately that would leave water in the bottom of the locker."

Most "chain lockers" is simply an area to dump chain or rope.

I would suggest building a genuine chain locker (Skeens Elements for dimensions) and building up the floor of the current area.

A couple of 1 1/2 thru hulls would allow enough water to drain so you could wash down the chain and interior with no hassles.

No pump., no check valves , and the chain is ready to deploy at all times.

Chain locker drains I've seen are right in the center of the stem where no bow wake touches. I know GB has this reputation for quality and doing it right, is there any obstructions to putting the drain in the stem ?

I was worried about water in the locker when I put my windlass in. I anchor at least daily and often several times a day and did not have any accumulation in the locker at any point in the season from the rode or from intrusion down the chain pipe from above deck.

My original plan was to put a drain from the locker into the shower box so that the shower bilge would pump it out, but I now see it as a non issue. Of course I have a mixed rode (mostly nylon) so perhaps the rode acts as a sponge to keep the locker dry.

I would suggest blocking the drains off completely and seeing what the result is. You can get back to formulating a plan if the issue doesn't resolve itself. After doing some research I found the Willard doesn't have an exterior drain just because of that back flow issue.

Could you just install a self draining scupper valve on the outside of the drain holes?

mRYUU7nISGpbJR7rSW8TZkA.jpg

In general, I don't like hull openings. Backflow, insect nests, et cetera. Would definitely work to eliminate, especially in that location which is not reachable from on deck.

Keith

Why not look at it closely while you speed along in the dink and the Admiral pilots the boat. That way you won't need a GoPro and a selfie stick...

Current status

I plugged one of the through hull holes and put a scupper type valve on an interior hose I installed in the bottom of the compartment on the other one. Plugging both did not work as there was also a rainwater drain in the bow sprit so after a good rain storm I had 6-8 inches of water in the bottom of the compartment. Tomorrow we travel so we will see how the "fix" is working.
I would rather not have a hole in the hull at all, but putting mud and such into the sump pump is not a desirable solution either. We'll see how this works. Fingers crossed.
Thanks again for all the input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom