Anchor chain stop upgrade time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
Most who have seen the chain stop "system" we inherited with Escape have urged us to upgrade to something more secure than rope tied off to the Samson post. There are lots of options and one of the stainless chain stop designs seems best to me. I believe it could be installed between the windlass and the roller sprit. What do you guys recommend?

Attachments

• Escape anchor chain stop options.jpg
    Escape anchor chain stop options.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 82
Hmmmm I have used rope tied off to the cleat on top of my windlass and a clevis hook for over a decade in all kinds of nasty seas.

Easy to use and trouble free.

Mo complicated is not always better. It's just more complicated.

BTW my opinion but if you cannot get one of those chain stop gadgets in the direct natural line your chain takes you are only going to create something that will wear over time and gedt your chain caught in.

Last edited:
I have had a few nice stainless chain stops (3 of the 4 pictured) through the years. I like a line tied to the Sampson post best. I might splice in a big loop that can just be dropped over the post. That will make things a little neater. Simple is better.

I have had a few nice stainless chain stops (3 of the 4 pictured) through the years. I like a line tied to the Sampson post best. I might splice in a big loop that can just be dropped over the post. That will make things a little neater. Simple is better.

I have a 3/8" dia pin that will secure the top of the anchor shaft to the inboard end of the roller chute, but I rarely use it. I use a line that I run through the loop on the top of my CQR that ties off (both ends) to the cleat on top of the windlass. Simple.

I'm another who uses a line.

I would use one of those stops that is a "one way" if I were hauling chain by hand just to be able to rest between heaves. Or perhaps if there was some reason a line didn't work (anchor bobbed around or something).

But otherwise I like my line. Nothing to corrode, easy to renew.

When using a snubber, I cleat the snubber to my samson post (same as the one in your picture) and then also cleat the chain on the post as a backup. There's no space for a real chain stopper in my setup, nor would it work with the geometry of my windlass and roller. See below for an example.

Attachments

• IMG_20200903_124553.jpg
    IMG_20200903_124553.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 60
It may just be the angle of the photo but it doesn’t look like you have much room to put one in. Maybe just a line to the anchor will work the best???

Thinking about it, if you're referring to something to keep the anchor locked in the up position, I also just use a line for that. I don't release the windlass clutch after raising (but it's set loose enough to slip as the anchor docks), so unless both the line and the windlass fail, the anchor isn't going anywhere.

It is tight, but there is room for each of those stop types. If I keep the line tied to the Samson post approach, and now definitely plan to, splicing an eye in the post end would certainly simplify deploying the stop.

Simple is better.

That's always true. Works for so many things. Thanks guys.

I do the line tied to the samson post system as well. If I clip it to the correct link in the chain I can wrap the line three times around the Samson post and then slip the loop in the end tightly over one of the ears on the post. I put a zip tie in the correct link to mark it.

It may just be the angle of the photo but it doesn’t look like you have much room to put one in. Maybe just a line to the anchor will work the best???

Yep, will probably end up tearing it out of the deck unless substantually supported with big backing plates underneath

I too use a line from the anchor to the windlass to secure the anchor. I see no reason to go for a permanent piece of hardware unless you simply want it.

Not a fan of chain stops as you now have a great place to pull out a chunk of deck some dark and stormy night. Heed the advice here about using stretchy nylon to take strain off the windlass.

Roger that. I appreciate the advice and will be sticking with the stretchy nylon rather than adding an unforgiving chain stop.

And just a point of clarity, this line vs. stop question is only for securing the anchor in the bow sprit while under way (or in a slip). The dark and stormy night will hopefully be taken care of by my bridle.

Thanks all.

Or the cheaper, more forgiving and more often than not better solution is $10 worth of nylon rope.

The idea of the stopper is as a last ditch "the snubbers have failed" item to keep the load off the windlass. But cleating the chain on a samson post will accomplish that as well, and may save needing to provide solid mounting for another piece of hardware.

Again, this is "just" a safety stop solution to keep the anchor in place while underway.

Again, this is "just" a safety stop solution to keep the anchor in place while underway.

In that case, the line is perfectly acceptable, especially if the windlass is also still holding the anchor. Personally, I use a short line with a loop on one end. Loop goes over the samson post, line through the anchor shackle hole, then tied back to the samson post. That way I can cinch the line up nice and tight, so if the windlass lets go of the anchor, it won't move and start flopping around at all. Looks like this when tied down.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_103929.jpg
    IMG_20200419_103929.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 46
That's exactly what I am after, and I suppose what I already have. My surveyor and a good friend with far more experience both suggested I replace my line with cable, but that sounds like a lot of extra security that is simply not needed. To me, the chain stop seemed more simple than tying the line, but I get that drilling holes and mounting hardware on a wet deck tips the balance well in favor of the line tied to the Samson post.

I like your wash down hose solution too. My boat has no locker access in which I could stow the hose, so hanging a coil from the rail looks convenient and secure. Would you use the same approach if you had it to do over again?

I like your wash down hose solution too. My boat has no locker access in which I could stow the hose, so hanging a coil from the rail looks convenient and secure. Would you use the same approach if you had it to do over again?

After that picture was taken, I did change the nozzle to a brass one that can just be turned on and stays on (in whatever spray pattern you adjust it to). But otherwise, I've been quite happy with the hose setup. Coiled on the rail like that, it's out of the way enough. And I can always detach it from the hose port (and cap the port) if needed. To keep the coil small, I only used a 10 foot hose (which is also cheap to replace when it starts to look too crappy from sitting in the sun, which will probably be every 2 - 3 years it looks like).

My surveyor and a good friend with far more experience both suggested I replace my line with cable,..... To me, the chain stop seemed more simple .( It is but you may not have enough room between the anchor shaft & the windlass to pull that off. (Maybe it's just the camera angle that seems to limit that needed space for a chain stopper.) I like the cable for a chain stopper as well!

I like your wash down hose solution too. My boat has no locker access in which I could stow the hose, (Neither did mine, so I simply had 2 hose bibs mounted on the bow, one for raw water and one for fresh water. I washed all the mud off the chain & anchor with sea water then I rinsed the chain in the locker with fresh water that drained out by way of a PVC pipe that exited the hull aft. My chain locker was large enough to stow the hose out of the way of the incoming/outgoing chain.
Photo

Attachments

• Anchor stopper.jpg
    Anchor stopper.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 24
Most who have seen the chain stop "system" we inherited with Escape have urged us to upgrade to something more secure than rope tied off to the Samson post.

There is nothing inherently insecure with the method you're currently using. I would like to hear the justification posed as to why you need to 'upgrade'.

I am of the thinking that the Samson Post is made to take the strain, any through deck fitting may be asking for a problem.

That anchor stop cable from Lewmar is sharp. Thanks all for the diverse and real world input. Looking forward to Spring!

I am of the thinking that the Samson Post is made to take the strain, any through deck fitting may be asking for a problem.

Roger that. I appreciate the advice and will be sticking with the stretchy nylon rather than adding an unforgiving chain stop.

And just a point of clarity, this line vs. stop question is only for securing the anchor in the bow sprit while under way (or in a slip). The dark and stormy night will hopefully be taken care of by my bridle.

Thanks all.

He only wants to secure it to the pulpit while not anchored.

While anchored, he uses a snubber as advised.

Last edited:
I'm not getting any of this. If the chain is in the gypsy and the clutch is locked that anchor isn't going to move. The line to the Samson post is just a fail safe.

I'm not getting any of this. If the chain is in the gypsy and the clutch is locked that anchor isn't going to move. The line to the Samson post is just a fail safe.

Some times a fail safe is required.
My windlass has a chain gypsey on the Stb side and a drum on port. Sometimes the drum gets used while the anchor is up, with the cutch released. At those times, it is nice to know that the anchor is going nowhere at those times, as well as at times following, while under way, without having to re-engage the clutch. It has happened.

Back
Top Bottom