Anchor chain stop upgrade time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not getting any of this. If the chain is in the gypsy and the clutch is locked that anchor isn't going to move. The line to the Samson post is just a fail safe.

Yes, that's all it is, just a fail safe. The debate was about how to apply that fail safe and whether or not a simple line tied to the Samson post is adequate. The overwhelming majority of replies confirm that it is more than adequate.

Yes, that's all it is, just a fail safe. The debate was about how to apply that fail safe and whether or not a simple line tied to the Samson post is adequate. The overwhelming majority of replies confirm that it is more than adequate.

The problems with these mechanisms is that they are hard to release and will jamb at the most inappropriate times. A line can be untied or cut if necessary.

Yes, even though I have a chain stopper built into the Galley Maid windlass mount I tie off the chain with a line.
Some times a fail safe is required.
My windlass has a chain gypsey on the Stb side and a drum on port. Sometimes the drum gets used while the anchor is up, with the cutch released. At those times, it is nice to know that the anchor is going nowhere at those times, as well as at times following, while under way, without having to re-engage the clutch. It has happened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom