Anchor Chain Frozen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sea Buzzard,

Evaporust! You can get it at Walmart ~$10/Gal. Spray bottle it on & let it soak. Biodegradable, Non-Toxic & it works.

Star

WOW!!! You should have started the post with those pics!!! Not sure much of the suggestions would be much help!!!

LOOKS like you have daylight coming in from above, possible hatch or something? Any chance you can get the bow close enough to an elevated shoreline that would have a forklift??? MAYBE able to get some new chain around some pieces and lift out, while breaking it up a bit?

GOOD LUCK!!! That is DEFINITELY a MESS!!! Almost looks melted into place... :(

unfortunately I only have a small round pipe hole from above ..

however, since posted I have taken all my frustration on the chain (together with a 3Lb hammer) and spraying it with DW40 causes the chain and specifically the rust to break so, slowly slowly in pieces of 5-7 links I do get it out - L o n g way to go...

Frozen chain

I would attack the problem the same way that I would eat an elephant. One small bite at a time. ?

If you need to cut it in the boat I suggest you rent or buy a hydraulic bolt cutter. Manual works okay too. Anything else can get messy in the boat.

I don't think it will be as bad as it looks. If you can apply some light force to the chain (say an anchor hanging off the bow) and just follow the chain with an air chisel, it will release bit by bit. The weight will pull it up and away as you release it, so it won't be in your way as you work. May take some time, but rust usually crumbles pretty well with some percussive force.

And I wouldn't use a jackhammer, you'd be transferring a lot of vibration from the chain to the adjacent hull/structure, potentially causing cracks and/or other problems.

My thoughts exactly. Never had this problem but. assuming you have some access, I would find some smaller, 1 to 2 foot, prybars that will fit into the individual links and loosen one link at a time. No reason to think the chain was tied in lots before it rusted up so it should come out once you loosen the links. Get a radio, a cool beverage and spend a bit of time. Much cheaper and faster then repairing a hole or crack in the hull.

I would also prefer a bold cutter to a grinder. The grinder will throw iron fillings all over the cabin and iron fillings can RUST like you can't believe. You could end up with rust stains all over. I have done that on land! Didn't like it.

I actually took the suggestion to use bolt cutters (manual) and in combination with a pry bar and hammer as well as WD-40 encouragement it does get out slowly
Link by link ... and yes rusted links are a mess so I’m also using a shop vac to get all these rust pieces away

Frozen anchor.

Try pouring slowly, CLR on it and wait an hour or so. Repeat. Next day give it a go. It'll clean your bildge on the way down too.

I often have to into the hatch on container ships. There I find all sorts of rust. Patches on the wall as big as 5ft across! Hand rails so bad you wouldn't dare lean on it. A kick of my boot starts it to come apart. I would take a pointed tool with 12" of length and start picking. I would be surprised if it doesn't come apart.
The only place I have found that rust has some strength is a shaft in a bore.

Last edited:
Sea Buzzard,
Evaporust! You can get it at Walmart ~$10/Gal. Spray bottle it on & let it soak. Biodegradable, Non-Toxic & it works.
Star

I don't think it will be as bad as it looks. If you can apply some light force to the chain (say an anchor hanging off the bow) and just follow the chain with an air chisel, it will release bit by bit. The weight will pull it up and away as you release it, so it won't be in your way as you work. May take some time, but rust usually crumbles pretty well with some percussive force.
I think these two suggestions used in combination make a lot of sense. :thumb:

Be careful about disturbing the rust dust. If it settles on your gel coat it will leave rusty stains with the morning dew. I know from experience when I cut my anchor chain with a hacksaw on the deck instead of the dock. It took a year to keep chasing the rusty specks away. Lots of chemicals make them disappear, but they come back.

After seeing your pics, I would start with PB penetrating oil and let it sit for a couple days. I think the oder is the least if your problems and can be cleaned up. Then let the hammers and pry bars do the work. Good luck. Keep us posted.

I know it’s heavy, but would it be worth a try to grind off the top of the pile and pull the mass into the v-birth and out? Just a thought...

Use of Aero Kroil

Aero Kroil is an amazing penetrating lubricant, especially for rusted metal. Seldom sold in local stores, but available from the manufacturer (Kano Labs) on line at Penetrating-Lubricating Oils), Spray it on the anchor chain in large quantity and repeat often letting it soak in for at least 24 hours. if possible suck up what drains into the bilge and re-soak. After soaking use the hammer to break it up into clumps. I have never had this not work, but be patient. If the boat was surveyed the surveyor has some responsibility if you were not warned. If you have insurance file a claim.

Back
Top Bottom