Anchor buoy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You anchor is almost never where you drop it once it is set. Depending on the bottom, it could well take quite a few yards before it really takes hold. So I just set the mark using simple and approximate geometry based on how much rode is out, and when it comes taut in the setting process.

Here's a good example of the boat ambling near the anchor point.

xUfNQ0H9SF8BBvL79dfeaP1gGW4A1x4ZBHBkrmaVMyO9nLA5ykaKkT94XdEG8wtm-4Qmptc-Z9NQuO6nClFheA1CWvNaHdzAmI729SCvysOQ5w8FAt9l3AkCkOWd6xPGWtmmnlRGr8OBULxAjP34MuIhzBtmQDoEoKA27iFcMSx4josp0TfrEeUkHl-Sg1c95_rUYzI381zegG_ZGIwyNQ63eoXc1GtCRpxqWYatwiPOC-7W1430c_i6Ov2uQCd6FSdg3U3KlgPhc6KAGbHkAh3umW98jejZxUccqipD2EKXLIE0m7bMoZZGYeQk6_Z_HO11chxU2ejHSOkKpThJ0cSIpuEkYGuyGOg3UHTTBEhMNIl0QyU4LCWj5si_CgkVIIzGxbZFeHP6xlBVQ1z9TU88_uUVaWyZ1-kkxh_vLuNtHYDH2HaD44-Ylhl-eBOdTX2oBZHALmYmB9B44_oLAGrPM2BUiHmvWS4cbt3-MRjTQRNRk5ISVfU_tnpNGtPYk-kcmMPXrxJnHPF-omxKWFq_LrZrD2jr6tiRukXow9CgYPm8xCKf8LsgcIuq3SUlmfz_OlRNrz0ge-ThjNJu6PzuutgrUMQ=w1014-h679-no

I've also related here being anchored out in the islands and seeing my anchor there right beside us as we laid to the chain in fairly mild conditions.

Huh, maybe you need a better/different anchor:rolleyes:
Anyone have a suggestion:popcorn:

Anchoring in my area is crowded in the summer, and many folks are not very experienced, so someone mistaking it for something else, would also be my concern.

I don't see them often, but I like it when they are out to know exactly where someone's hook is.

Anchoring in my area is crowded in the summer, and many folks are not very experienced, so someone mistaking it for something else, would also be my concern.

I don't see them often, but I like it when they are out to know exactly where someone's hook is.

This is my thought. It is very hard to predict where someones anchor is in many of the places where we anchor here in the South Sound. I know for those that anchor in rivers, or in the tradewinds, or other areas where both wind and current are steady and predictable, but there are plenty of times when I will be anchored and see boats around me that that are pointed in random directions. Each has their own little micro climate with different breeze and currents. The photo at the left was taken on such a day.

Last weekend wasn't too unusual. 15+ tides and a series of squalls coming through. The tides created strong currents at times that is a small bay were going a variety of directions. Two boats 50 yards away from each other could be influenced by currents 180 degrees from each other. Then we would have winds that were light and variable swirling around the bay to 20+ knots when the next squall came through.

Hard to tell where everyone's anchor is or how much scope they may have used. These are the conditions like Boatpoker mentioned where your own anchor could almost be anywhere in relation to your own boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom