Old 07-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #1

City: Long Beach Ca
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
anchor bridle

Good afternoon
I have a 1997 Mainship 350. There are 2 cleats at the bow of this boat but nothing down the center to tie off an anchor line. I did not want the windlass to have the strain of the anchor nor did I like to be off center by using just the port or starboard cleat.
I made a 3 point bridle out of 5/8 three strand line. A loop at each end to attach to the bow cleats and an eye in the center to take a hook. I know how to use it with a hook to chain connection. What method should I use to attach it to my 5/8 inch three strand anchor line when I am too deep for chain only. I have 100ft of chain with 350 feet of three strand anchor line.
Thanks
Jim
jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
When I had a combination chain/fiber rode (and today with 100% chain), I used a braided snubber made out of six feet of 5/8" twisted nylon, Using an icicle hitch or a rolling hitch, the snubber would hold chain or fiber rode equally well. You can attach the braided snubber to the apex of your bridle or use two longer braided snubbers, one from each bow cleat. To make one, just unravel the last six feet of the three strands and have the person in your life familiar with braiding hair show you how to braid the strands back together. No shackles, hooks and and other junk on the end of the line.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #3

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
I saw a lot of 5/8" bridles in the PNW but that is way too big for a boat less than 50ft.
You want the bridle to stretch.
1/2" is plenty.
You won't break 1/2" nylon and really it doesn't matter at all if you do.
We are happy with a hook on to chain from the bridle but I saw a clever idea recently to use a short loop to hold the chain, then use a snap shackle from the bridle on to the loop.
Bridles are easier and more effective to run on a catamaran with more width between the cleats. Just wonderful to ease the strain and stop the yaw at anchor.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
The legs or arms of my bridle do not have a loop. This way I can adjust the length of the arms, if necessary to keep it into the wind. This includes reaching the mid ship cleats tool.

Per securing the anchor rode to the windless, I question the wisdom in that. Put the strain on the bridle and two cleats.
If course, once the anchor is 'home', you should have away to secure it to prevent accidental deployment.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:42 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I agree with Darkside. If you using a two leg bridle, 1/2” nylon 3-strand should be plenty strong enough and give you the stretch you want. Granted, if you already have a 5/8” 3 strand rode, you are getting plenty of stretch.

I use two 1/2” length of three strand. Each is 20’ so when conditions warrant, I can have quite a long bridle. Lots of ways to attach it to your rode. I would use a dynema loop of some type and a shackle.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
The legs or arms of my bridle do not have a loop. This way I can adjust the length of the arms, if necessary to keep it into the wind. This includes reaching the mid ship cleats tool.

Per securing the anchor rode to the windless, I question the wisdom in that. Put the strain on the bridle and two cleats.
If course, once the anchor is 'home', you should have away to secure it to prevent accidental deployment.
I do not want to secure the anchor rode to the windlass. That is why i made a bridle. I need to secure the anchor rode ( 5/8 three strand) to the eye in the bridle.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
I do not want to secure the anchor rode to the windlass. That is why i made a bridle. I need to secure the anchor rode ( 5/8 three strand) to the eye in the bridle.
You can use something like this. I have made them and they work quite well.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/davis...UaAs3hEALw_wcB

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #8

I went to Tiffanies (AKA West Marine) and purchased the Davis line grabbers. Looks like a winner. So simple.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Bon Secour, AL
Vessel Name: La Bonne Vie
Vessel Model: Outer Reef 26
Splice an eye in the bridle pendant and connect the rode to it using a sheet bend. It won’t come loose but is easy to trip.
jagates10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
On our last boat, a 41’ President, I used a 2 leg bridle made out of 1/2” 3 strand with black mooring compensators in each leg to give more stretch. IMO a 2 leg 5/8” bridle is too large for the 350/390. It won’t stretch that much. We had a flat plate, I don’t know the brand, that had a slot in it to fit onto the chain. It worked well.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:15 AM   #11
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
On our last boat, a 41’ President, I used a 2 leg bridle made out of 1/2” 3 strand with black mooring compensators in each leg to give more stretch. IMO a 2 leg 5/8” bridle is too large for the 350/390. It won’t stretch that much. We had a flat plate, I don’t know the brand, that had a slot in it to fit onto the chain. It worked well.
We use this:
Attached Images

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
That looks like what I had.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I'm using the bridle just to center the anchor line. I do not have anywhere to tie off my anchor line except a port or starboard bow cleat.
I have a combination anchor rode setup with mostly 5/8 three strand. I should have plenty of stretch.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #14

City: green cove springs
Vessel Name: GEM
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
hi,

we're on a pilot 34. we use 2 lengths of 1/2" 3 strand. i did eye splices around a thimble then i spliced a 1/2" "pigtail" onto the thimble. we have chain & 3 strand rode and a rolling hitch works well. loose ends allow adjustment at bow cleats to center/ compensate.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Penetanguishene
Vessel Name: Loose Goose X, and second boat, the Benchmark
Vessel Model: 1994 Ocean Alexander 423 and a 1967 Chris Craft Constellation
https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-...ubbersbridles/
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:52 PM   #16

City: San Francisco
Vessel Model: Marlow Pilot M32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
+1 for Mantus Bridle

I use on my Marlow Pilot M32
ondmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Synergy
Vessel Model: Hershine TriCabin Trawler
Agree with above comments about the use and benefits of anchor bridles. I use this chain hook from UltraMarine:

https://ultramarinewest.com/products/ultra-chain-grab

Outfitted with dual ropes, it makes an excellent bridle, which has withstood some very windy conditions. Easy to deploy and slides off when tension released.

Another advantage of a bridle is to work loose a stuck anchor without putting any strain on your bow pulpit or roller. Sometimes you need to transfer the lifting forces away from the pulpit...
Old 07-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #18
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
I assume you're aware that with a bridle as you decrease the angle the capacity of the line is reduced. A 30 degree angle of the bridle increases the tension by 2, hence 5/8 nylon having a breaking strength of about 8800lbs. is reduced to 4400lbs, At 45 degrees the factor is 1.414. In rigging we normally use 60 degrees for slings.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I assume you're aware that with a bridle as you decrease the angle the capacity of the line is reduced. A 30 degree angle of the bridle increases the tension by 2, hence 5/8 nylon having a breaking strength of about 8800lbs. is reduced to 4400lbs, At 45 degrees the factor is 1.414. In rigging we normally use 60 degrees for slings.

I'm confused. I understand that a line that is bent has less breaking strength. I'm not sure I understand in the context of the bridle? Unless you are thinking about the chain hook that Cheeckako linked. If you splice around that chain hook, the rope will be bent around at a very small radius. That would drastically reduce the breaking strength at that point.

Is that was you were referring to, or is there another bend you were addressing?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #20
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I'm confused. I understand that a line that is bent has less breaking strength. I'm not sure I understand in the context of the bridle? Unless you are thinking about the chain hook that Cheeckako linked. If you splice around that chain hook, the rope will be bent around at a very small radius. That would drastically reduce the breaking strength at that point.

Is that was you were referring to, or is there another bend you were addressing?
This is a sling angle illustration but a bridle will have the same effect. Whenever a rope is subjected to an angle some fibers take more strain and others take less or none reducing the stress capacity of the line. You may also want to consider strength reduction of associated knots, most knots and bends reduce line strength by between 25 and 50%, splices only reduce by 10 to 15%. I think I should point out for clarification, by angle I don't mean bent I mean when the strain is not concentric with the center of the line for any reason.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sling-Tension-Load-angles-tech-rescue.gif
Views:	27
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	119659
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote